Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Ambition to being Top 10 club.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
source.gif
is on holiday.

Batman’s a great film.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Yes, to the tune of £100m+ (and 'the widest ranging sponsorship arrangement in world sport' apparently).
The deal is a TWELVE year deal though, so the figures are really not very big, in PL terms

Well it’s well within the top ten deals done in the Prem, so for a team that finished 17th last season it’s a massive deal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well it’s well within the top ten deals done in the Prem, so for a team that finished 17th last season it’s a massive deal.
If Bloom's ambition is to finish 17th every season, then it's a great deal. Since his ambition is to be top 10 however, maybe it's not so special.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I obviously have no inside knowledge but when the club refer to adding some extra seats they are referring to small areas of seatings dotted around a few voids. I imagine this would be maximum 1000-2000 seats.

They could probably add some additional rows to the north stand behind the wall bu the costs and disruption wouldn't really be worth it.

Must be ESU at both ends (SE and NE corners)? ... unaesthetic endings at the moment with windows, disabled viewing platforms, empty space.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Every seat at the Amex has a great view. Can’t stand bigger stadiums personally, sitting miles away from the pitch. Much prefer a stadium like the Amex. Don’t think it’s needed from a revenue point of view either- Bournemouth have a tiny stadium and are fine.
We would end up with a load of football tourists and dilute our core support

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, according to plans, leaked a while ago, the club is supposedly looking at additional hospitality places above the existing seating in the north stand - like the south end.

No way of knowing if still planned - or even genuine - but 50 hospitality places much more likely than, say, 500 new ordinary seats.

Telling, I think, that PB directly ruled out a new 'tier' on the North Stand.

The old tv studio next to the police box could be made into a hospitality room with a shelf but how many rows that shelf would hold is debatable.
[MENTION=1890]blue-shifted[/MENTION] There are £35 tickets available which includes transport. You're not going to get any cheaper than that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Bit of a daft thread this is.
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] and [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] have nailed it with the explanation. Talk of expanding is nonsensical.

One thing I'd add is that everything in football is cyclical. We will never be a consistent top 10 club. If we have a squad that's good enough to finish between 7th and 10th the big clubs will be sniffing around our best players like beagle in a Pedigree Chum factory. Look at the Southampton side that finished 8th. Van Dijk, Shaw, Wanyama, Lovren, Mane, Pochettino - all moved on. It then takes years to rebuild. Without investing 100s of millions there is no such thing as a top 10 team.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Completely disagree.

EVERY Premier League club has over 92% capacity filled over the Premier League season, with most closer to 99%.

I would say that we could fill a 50k stadium even now for many games, if only because we are a Premier League team.

Fast forward 10 years more of Premier League football, we would have a whole new generation of fans (worldwide, and locally). We would have no problem filling a 50k stadium EVEN against the likes of Burnley or recently Premier League champions Leicester (strange example, why not Bournemouth?)

I think you and others underestimate the potential of Brighton as a club. We have a huge catchment area in Sussex. We are a highly touristic international city, as well as a student town.

Filling a 50,000 stadium every week is as completely realistic as TB's ambition of us becoming an established top 10 Premier League club.

But why would you want a bigger stadium? Do want to watch football in a soulless library full of football tourists?
Might be worth it financially, but a big risk. But crap for supporters wanting a good atmosphere

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Completely disagree.

EVERY Premier League club has over 92% capacity filled over the Premier League season, with most closer to 99%.

I would say that we could fill a 50k stadium even now for many games, if only because we are a Premier League team.

Fast forward 10 years more of Premier League football, we would have a whole new generation of fans (worldwide, and locally). We would have no problem filling a 50k stadium EVEN against the likes of Burnley or recently Premier League champions Leicester (strange example, why not Bournemouth?)

I think you and others underestimate the potential of Brighton as a club. We have a huge catchment area in Sussex. We are a highly touristic international city, as well as a student town.

Filling a 50,000 stadium every week is as completely realistic as TB's ambition of us becoming an established top 10 Premier League club.

We’re also a ‘brand’ no one outside of our fans gives a shit about. We could win the European Cup for the next 27.5 seasons straight and still no one will give a shit about us. I love your optimism, but am afraid it’s mere delusion, forget the season ticket waiting list soundbite, we rarely sell out our PL home games, and certainly not those against the lower half of the table teams. 30k is our absolute limit imho,

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
We’re also a ‘brand’ no one outside of our fans gives a shit about. We could win the European Cup for the next 27.5 seasons straight and still no one will give a shit about us. I love your optimism, but am afraid it’s mere delusion, forget the season ticket waiting list soundbite, we rarely sell out our PL home games, and certainly not those against the lower half of the table teams. 30k is our absolute limit imho,
You don't understand the average football fan if you believe that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Completely disagree.

Premier League clubs have 92%+ full stadiums because on the whole, they have the right sized ground for their fanbase. Some expansion would be welcome at some (Bournemouth being a case in point, probably Liverpool), but by and large, they're about right which is why they're mostly (but not always) full.

You seem to be having some delusions of grandeur. Even if we spent 10 years in the PL and bobbed about challenging for top 10, we do NOT have the worldwide pulling power of the established elite. The gloryhunting banjo's who latch on in China and Thailand are only interested in the Big Six. We are, historically, not a big club. We have grown massively out of all recognition from where we were 10 years ago, but we are not and will never be a south coast Man Utd or Liverpool, pulling in 50k+ a week regardless of who we are playing. And I gave Leicester as an example to emphasise the point, its not just the bottom-feeders who we'd have a 1/3 empty stadium against. Its the other midtable furniture as well who we wouldn't sell out for. And this is of course assuming we manage to stay on this gravy train, which is a LONG way from being assured. Drop down, and we're a Sunderland, in a cavernous half-empty stadium.

Not EVERYONE is walking around in Sussex with a permanent stonk-on for the Premier League. Notions of us aiming to get a 50k stadium are ridiculous and frankly a bit embarrassing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
we rarely sell out our PL home games, and certainly not those against the lower half of the table teams. 30k is our absolute limit imho,

This is broadly where I am too, although I'd not say 30k is our absolute limit, but it's around that point right now.

Saturday's game is the first home league game of the Premier League season, we've just kicked-off the campaign with a crushing win and have a new manager and players to whet the appetite. There are still hundreds of tickets available and, I suspect, many hundreds that existing STHs would like to go to re-sale.

Yes, it's the summer holidays etc etc, but if we had a captive fanbase that made a 50k capacity a realistic proposition, this fixture would have long since sold out. As it happens, it may not sell out at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst in the PL, we could quite possibly get gates of 35,000, to much higher for the visits of Liverpool and ManU. We have 8,000 on the s/t waiting list who all in 2019 coughed up (for the first time) the new deposit to show intent.

But the reality is that the stadium can only be tweaked to take say 32,000.

That will be it for many decades to come. The roofs are anchored deep under the stadium in 100’s of tonnes of concrete. It would cost TB another £100 plus to tear all that apart and partially start again. Whilst BHCC seem dead against greater numbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here