Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Laser eye surgery

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Had mine done in 2012, one of the best decisions I've ever made. Paid £2K with Optimax.

Wasn't a very nice experience at all, but well worth it.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just had a double cataract operation and had both lenses replaced with long distance one as opposed to plain/clear or bifocal ones. Need reading glasses but vision now is superb. Night driving is a bit of a pain at the moment with the lights. Lens replacement seems to be the up and coming way to go

Interesting. I've got an eye test on Wednesday, and the last couple of times he's mentioned early cataracts. I can see lens replacement as a possibility, even if I still need reading glasses. Was it expensive?

Good luck with the progress.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Depending on your age, I would recommend lens replacement, you will never experience any deterioration over time, although it is slightly more expensive

How slightly? I'm 61, so hoping for another 20 years...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
What happens as you age? Do you not end up needing glasses for reading etc?

Your eyes do deteriorate naturally. Mine are still fine (well at least I think they are) 11 years down the line. I didn't start wearing glasses until 17 when I realised I wouldn't pass my driving test as I couldn't read the number plate. So if I get 17 years out of use out of these tuned up one then I'll be happy. AFAIK you can have the surgery multiple times. I would certainly have it again rather than going back to specs/contacts.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Had mine done about 10 years back with Optical Express. Was only about £1200. As others have said, best money I've ever spent. Op itself was fine, eyes a bit gritty and painful after but slept for a few hours and was fine. Highly recommended

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

I was told to expect to have deterioration in my early 40s but I’m nearly 44 and still no sign of it waning yet. 17 years and counting.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Yep, had mine done by Optical Express about 4 years ago. Easily the best money I’ve ever spent.

Me too. I read the advice on a previous NSC thread about laser eye surgery and decided to research it. Went to their clinic in Southampton to have it done and I now have better than 20/20 vision.

I did experience a bit of glare and dry eyes for a while afterwards, but the benefits of no longer worrying about glasses and contacts easily outweigh these minor side effects.

Do not expect it to be a cost-effective procedure. Even though I had it done in my early twenties (4 years ago), and even though I was told my eyesight should be OK for up to 40 years, it would have worked out cheaper to wear glasses / contacts all my life. The question for OP and anyone else considering LES is: will it improve your quality of life measurably?

EDIT: including an earlier thread (not the one I was thinking of though - guess there have been several on here over the years.) https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?345423-Laser-Eye-Surgery&highlight=laser+eye+surgery

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I was quite short-sighted, so had Lasik to correct that (about -4.00 in both eyes) - not having to wear contacts/glasses any more for 'normal' stuff (driving, watching TV, playing sport - including golf etc) was genuinely life-changing. The surgeon at the time (I used ultralase in Hammersmith) said I'd need reading glasses before too long but that would have happened anyway, then it would be the world of varifocal lenses etc. I now use glasses when reading, using PC etc but my distance vision is as good (better than 20/20) as it was a week after the op (which was I think 12 years ago). Think the key for it being very successful is that your prescription has been stable for a decent period. I buy reading glasses in packs of 5 for about £20 off Amazon - optician said there's no point in having expensive prescription glasses when it's simple, minor correction needed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had both eyes corrected in 2008, done by the top private eye surgeon in Sussex, who rents out the Optimax facilities in Hove for the evening. The cost £2,500.

11 years on, no issues at all. Have saved a small fortune on not having to buy contact lenses, prescription sunglasses and ordinary specs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My eyesight is terrible and my opticians suggest I have it done, but I can't see the point. Maybe I'm just short-sighted.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's all good but 4k for a minute on each eye (some posts have been cheaper) it seems a bit of a rip off, what happened to from £500 per eye that was advertised when it first came out, about £1000 for a couple of minutes is still expensive but about right.
Been thinking of getting mine done for years now but would not pay more than £1500, I will have to cut a deal.
Do they do it while you wait?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's all good but 4k for a minute on each eye (some posts have been cheaper) it seems a bit of a rip off, what happened to from £500 per eye that was advertised when it first came out, about £1000 for a couple of minutes is still expensive but about right.
Been thinking of getting mine done for years now but would not pay more than £1500, I will have to cut a deal.
Do they do it while you wait?

The £500 per eye was always a bit of an advertising catch..................it's always been £3k or so for laser surgery - cheaper options are available - explained here https://www.lasereyesurgeryhub.co.uk/alternatives-to-laser-eye-surgery/

Don't think you'll get laser (LASIK) for £1500 anywhere in the UK but if you're prepared to travel you could get it much cheaper (when I was getting it done I could have gone to Prague, for example, and it was about half the cost)

Yes, while you wait. Whole appointment for me was something over an hour in total from memory - go in, eye drops, short wait, surgery (few mins per eye) then a bit of a wait to make sure everything is OK and you can go. You will have to have a separate (free) consultation beforehand so they can check suitability and explain the process etc. The places usually offer credit terms if you don't want to pay out in one go

Martyn Pelham

Feb 27, 2015
Fareham
I had mine done at Optical express in Southampton nearly 14 years ago. I have an astigmatism in both eyes, so i paid £3500 for mine to be done. Have to say, its probably the best £3500 i have ever spent. The money side of things needs to be weighed up by how much you currently pay for glasses, eye tests, contact lenses, solutions etc. Mine worked out that the eye surgery paid for itself within 10 years, so every year i get from then on, without wearing glasses or having contacts, is just a bonus! Biggest fear was laying there thinking "Shit, if this all goes wrong, i'm never going to see my missus or kids again or be able to watch The Albion play again". Just be warned, don't watch a video of how they do it on youtube if you are thinking of having it done, as it is horrible!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was told to expect to have deterioration in my early 40s but I’m nearly 44 and still no sign of it waning yet. 17 years and counting.

Age related wear starts at 45. Opticians call it the 45 eye. I didn't need glasses at all until I was 46, and needed reading glasses.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Another vote for the best purchases of my life. One eye was slightly worse than the other so I paid more for one eye than I did the other but all in was about £4k and that was 11 years ago.

Surgery is very very quick (<1 minute each eye) and completely painless. Does smell like burning flesh though and its quite an odd feeling having the lens of your eye lifted off your eyeball. When the local wears off it is not great but I went and had a kip for a couple of hours and when I woke up I was completely fine with better than 20/20 vision. I had slight inflammation so had to go back to the clinic 3 times in the first week so they could
keep an eye on it but it didn't hurt and after a week they gave me the all clear. Seem to recall they did another follow up after a month and then three months.

If you can afford it then do it.

Guffaw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here