Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And you think fruit pickers from any part of the world should be allowed to come into this country!!!!

Our enconomy in North Kent would be dead without them. As others have noted, our football economy would not be dead if we could trawl the world for much cheaper players, but it would damage the national side. In North Kent, the locals decided they were too refined/clever/lazy to work the fields after the war, and a seasonal London workforce has now given sway to eastern Europeans for the same reason. But we have no 'national fruit picking heritage' taking the international stage wearing the three lions to take into consideration. There the analogy ends.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Our enconomy in North Kent would be dead without them. As others have noted, our football economy would not be dead if we could trawl the world for much cheaper players, but it would damage the national side. In North Kent, the locals decided they were too refined/clever/lazy to work the fields after the war, and a seasonal London workforce has now given sway to eastern Europeans for the same reason. But we have no 'national fruit picking heritage' taking the international stage wearing the three lions to take into consideration. There the analogy ends.

Out of interest, from where do the fruit pickers come from if not Europe?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
They won't be in the top 50 after AFCON.
And even if they were: they have to be in it for two years to matter.

He'll never play for us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Out of interest, from where do the fruit pickers come from if not Europe?

They are all European as far as I can see. I said Eastern Europe. I see most of Eastern Europe is now in the EU. Not quite sure your point so I'm not quite sure how to nuance my reply here :wink:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
When we signed Izquierdo, we got that through as an exception on the work permit process, because despite being Colombian he hadnt played enough for the national team to qualify.

He scored enough points as an exception because he was a first team regular in the Champions League/Europa League at Club Brugge and I think (?) they maybe won the league that year which gained even more points for Jose. I'm sure someone can correct me on this.

Interesting situation that we would be trying the same process again with Percy at the same club.

But in any case - this is the workaround in action that wouldnt require South Africa in the top 50 of the rankings.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When we signed Izquierdo, we got that through as an exception on the work permit process, because despite being Colombian he hadnt played enough for the national team to qualify.

He scored enough points as an exception because he was a first team regular in the Champions League/Europa League at Club Brugge and I think (?) they maybe won the league that year which gained even more points for Jose. I'm sure someone can correct me on this.

Interesting situation that we would be trying the same process again with Percy at the same club.

But in any case - this is the workaround in action that wouldnt require South Africa in the top 50 of the rankings.

So we just need to hang on to 17th. place this season, then we can unleash Percy on the unsuspecting PL in 2020?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sporting Life says we stuffed up and want to off load him to Gent.

Would be interested to see who did the "Due Diligence" at the club when negotiating this transfer? :shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So we just need to hang on to 17th. place this season, then we can unleash Percy on the unsuspecting PL in 2020?

From my understanding of the rules, I think Izquierdo’s permit would’ve been granted mainly on the basis of his transfer fee being >50th percentile of the average PL fee at that point and his wages similarly being >50th percentile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here