Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] County Ground development

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And a complete pain in the arse for anyone who lives outside Brighton and Hove. So sorry it’s not perfectly situated in my opinion facepalm facepalm

How is it a complete pain for anyone who lives outside B&H? There's a train station about 5 minutes away and about 20 bus routes. There's not much parking near the ground, it's true, but much of the fun in going to cricket is having a few drinks. It's no more inaccessible than the Amex is.

Where on earth in central Sussex could a stadium be built? It would have be more near a railway as pretty much all new developments would need sustainable transport links. It can't be in the SDNP and it would need some decent road access and bus services. There can't be many places that fit those criteria. And that's before you have to deal with the inevitable protests from NIMBYs and BANANAs.

Sussex have already cut down on their outgrounds. They don't go to Horsham or Eastbourne any more (Hastings and Worthing are long gone) - they're just not financially viable. Why build another ground that no-one wants to go to?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
New stands, how often to they fill the ones they've got?

SCCC are to build 4 new large tiered stands:

Leaving stands, exec boxes and hospitality completely surrounding the pitch.

Attachments

• 12DAB1AA-CE4E-4366-9B7B-37E4022222C3.png
    12DAB1AA-CE4E-4366-9B7B-37E4022222C3.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 211

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think they should follow the Hants route.

Sell up the County Ground for housing development and stick a Rose Bowl type affair on either Toads Hole Valley, Waterhall or the field to the South of Village Way. I am sure planning won't be a problem for any of those sites :)

Vitally important they sell the County Ground BEFORE securing any new home.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Only been to a couple of games but I loved the deckchair section, commercially I suppose it makes sense but it would be a shame to nullify the only area that has a bit of atmosphere in it , I don’t suppose you know who is behind it ? .#KEEP THE DECKCHAIRS

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The development will provide sustainable stuff like secure bike racks and electric car recharging points, which 80% of the residents will ignore with a petrol/diesel-head 2 cars per luxury flat.

At least they are thinking logically. You do need two spaces per accommodation otherwise the overflow will take up valuable spaces in the street outside which would impact on an already lack of spaces.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Only been to a couple of games but I loved the deckchair section, commercially I suppose it makes sense but it would be a shame to nullify the only area that has a bit of atmosphere in it , I don’t suppose you know who is behind it ? .#KEEP THE DECKCHAIRS

There is a space retained for seats / deckchairs at the north end. It will be astroturfed (so not quite the same look and feel, but perhaps understandable).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Looks like most of the deckchairs are going :(

There are only a handful of deckchairs left currently. These will be retained in the NE and NW corners but, most usefully, there will be proper single-tier stands at the north end of the ground offering elevated behind-the-bowlers-arm views either side of the sightscreen. This is what has been sadly lacking since the Gilligan stand was demolished and the exclusive debenture south-stand was put in for literally a handful of spectators. The other advantage is these will be south facing so catch the sun, unlike the old Spike Milligan which used to require thermals, crampons and ice picks in April!

The bad news is this is "Phase 3" which won't be for at least 6 years, judging by the timeline. The first phase, to generate the income, will be the flats/ public bar/restaurant to replace the Sussex Cricketer and new entrances. Phase 2 is extending the SW stand and relocating hospitality from the SE corner. Phase 3 is the new north stands (ideal for North Stand Cricket Chat wiv yer mates). Phase 4 is a new public SE stand.

The risks are that the phasing is delayed and therefore the spectator benefits of phases 3 and 4 are delayed. And that the finances go awry (property market risks) and the money runs out before Phase 3. This would leave a capacity reduction as the +800 is end-state once the north and south east stands are built.

PG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At least they are thinking logically. You do need two spaces per accommodation otherwise the overflow will take up valuable spaces in the street outside which would impact on an already lack of spaces.

Totally agree.

I work with developers who do all this, with the sustainable measures sought by councils. Then in the real world residents move in with multiple petrol/diesel cars per household, often taking street spaces. In this, it would be by BHCC street residents parking permits, which would be unfair on already pressured parking for existing residents.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agree, I take my mum there for Sunday lunch when I am visiting. Sad

It's not being lost. It's being replaced by a more modern bar/restaurant. The existing cafe under the SW stand has already been revamped this winter and will now be open to the public every day.

If only there were other restaurants. cafes and bars in central Hove to choose from?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A much needed upgrade of a much loved but sadly not fit for 21st century purpose ground. There does seem to be a missed future income generating opportunity in that the future capacity will only increase by 800 extra seats giving an overall capacity of 6,800 whereas I would've thought they should be looking more towards the 8/9,000 mark.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In this, it would be by BHCC street residents parking permits, which would be unfair on already pressured parking for existing residents.

It's a bit off topic but surely all the council has to do is to say that no street parking permits will be issued to anyone living in the new developments. If those terms are in the lease from the outset, no-one could have any objections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here