Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had my second visit to Cafe Plenty last night. Put simply it has a lovely and friendly vibe, has 8 taps of local craft and knocks out a wholesome and plentyful take on Indian street food with fish and vegetarian options. I understand it has been around a while but the craft is a recent addition. By day it operates as a coffee shop, by night it’s a bar with food. It’s a very welcome and excellent addition to the Brighton beer and food scene imho.

Oh, and last night it was graced with the presence of [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION], [MENTION=29553]Rohan Ince's Python[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION] amongst others.

I had lunch at the excellent Cin Cin.....shame about the 90 minutes of football between my meals.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're in a country where many servers live or die on their tips and you didn't leave a tip on an "8/10 excellent meal" because you had to ask for cutlery?

That says far more about you than both the restaurant and the server. When I read examples like this, I understand why Brits can have such a poor reputation over there.

Take a look at yourself.

And forced them to make a "humbling apology". What a wally.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I had my second visit to Cafe Plenty last night. Put simply it has a lovely and friendly vibe, has 8 taps of local craft and knocks out a wholesome and plentyful take on Indian street food with fish and vegetarian options. I understand it has been around a while but the craft is a recent addition. By day it operates as a coffee shop, by night it’s a bar with food. It’s a very welcome and excellent addition to the Brighton beer and food scene imho.

Oh, and last night it was graced with the presence of [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION], [MENTION=29553]Rohan Ince's Python[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION] amongst others.

I had lunch at the excellent Cin Cin.....shame about the 90 minutes of football between my meals.

Yes I can see why yesterdays Amex performance could cause you serious indigestion. :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hopefully they'll have restocked today then. That's got "drunk the place dry" all over it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hopefully they'll have restocked today then. That's got "drunk the place dry" all over it.

Ha ha, funnily enough a few taps did run out as the evening progressed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A number of outings recently differing in quality.

First up - a night at Ashdown Park Spa Hotel.

The website promises "award winning dining" - they've got a couple of rosettes but one has to wonder HOW they got them. We went to dinner with hopes high of a culinary experience to delight the taste buds. We were pleasantly surprised at the price of the wine and awaited our starters. Mine was a chicken and apricot terrine. It hadn't been seasoned at all but I did that myself and it was quite pleasant. There was far too little apricot chutney though. Mrs W had the goats cheese cheesecake with beetroot. Once again perfectly pleasant but yet again, with too little beetroot. I get these meals aren't 'scoff' but at least try and provide enough balance of the ingredients to make it possible to eat the whole dish.

The amuse bouche were very good - especially the pea soup. And that's where the pleasantness ended. I ordered the pork with tender stem broccoli. The pork wasn't seasoned (a recurring theme) and was utterly bland. The crackling was burnt. Moving around the plate, the broccoli was one mouthful and unbelievably had been overcooked AND undercooked !!! It takes a real special chef to do that. The carrots looked exactly like the ones you get in tins at your local Co-op. I'd have been willing to believe that they had been very well peeled, scrapped and rubbed down but strangely they tasted exactly the same as tinned carrots. Moving on to the jus - I don't actually know what it was - it tasted of nothing and resembled wallpaper paste in consistency. Now we come to the piece de la resistance - the so named 'fondant potato'. Mushy on the edges, semi-raw in the middle. Possibly grilled on the top - I say possibly as it was difficult to tell what cooking methods the chef had used. This potato clearly hadn't seen any butter and the stock might as well have been dishwater for all the flavour the fondant had. It had clearly been made hours, possibly even days before ( every single dish comes with the same veg which immediately rings alarm bells of cheap, pre-cooked sides ). Then shoved somewhere near some heat. It would have been better described as a murdered potato.

Mrs W's fish was well cooked but as already mentioned, every dish had the same veg and so she suffered the same fate as myself - an inedible dish.

We complained to the waiter who to be fair was very apologetic and got the restaurant manager. I went around the plate explaining what was wrong with each element to the manager. His response somewhat reminded me of a comedy those of a certain age will remember - his apathy would make Kevin in Kevin and Perry look enthusiastic. His apathy was out done though with the phrase "It's the first complaint we've had tonight".

Rather than walk out we decided to venture on to dessert. Cheeseboard for each of us - after all, what could chef get wrong on a cheeseboard ?? The cheeses were very nice but a handful of uninspiring crackers - all the same except they were either white or wholemeal - remember this is meant to be fine dining ! The celery looked as though it might be due it's telegram from Her Majesty as well. No butter was given - a bug bear of mine and more and more places seem to not provide it now so it's not only Ashdown Park. Butter duly requested and the waiter brings it - it was harder than one of the cheeses !!! Impossible to spread - almost straight out of a freezer. I ask the waiter to go and zap it in the microwave. Ten minutes later the butter comes back - almost as hard as it left - and we're talking Steven Seagal hard here.

When speaking to the Duty Manager I offered to show the chef how to cook a fondant potato - this was politely declined. To his credit the DM did remove all the drinks from the bill, gave us some free port and another round of free drinks. We won't be returning though - 1/10 and that's for the amuse bouche.

To make up for the above let down we stopped at The Crown in Horstead Keynes on the way home. Fantastic lunch - makerel pate and lamb shank shepherds pie - finished with probably the best cheesecake I've ever had. Huge portions as well. 9/10

Finally went back to the Witchez this weekend. Usual well cooked and decent portion food. Lamb steak is still the size of a sheep ! Service was a little slow this time but we weren't in a hurry so didn't mind. 8/10

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The presence of the NSC GLITTERATI almost swings it for me! Do they do chips?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not really a restaurant but food at The Pond in Brighton.

After a decent (lot) of beers before and during the match on Saturday, we decided we needed a few more drinks before going home so went to a fave - The Pond. Lovely little pub with excellent selection of cask and keg beers. Always some good sours on in there.

They have Baby Bao in as their kitchen. Bao is basically a steamed bun, opened up and filled with roasted meats etc. Proper lovely pub food.

We had 1 with Roast Pork, 1 with Char Siu Pork, 1 with Fried Chicken and a Mac and Cheese with mushroom and kimchi. All of them brilliant and would quite happily have ordered the same again. The Mac and Cheese was incredible, big thick slices of mushroom and just enough heat and kimchi to lift the dish. All served with the lovely Blood Orange Sour they had on tap

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

After a decent (lot) of beers before and during the match on Saturday, we decided we needed a few more drinks before going home so went to a fave - The Pond. Lovely little pub with excellent selection of cask and keg beers. Always some good sours on in there.

They have Baby Bao in as their kitchen. Bao is basically a steamed bun, opened up and filled with roasted meats etc. Proper lovely pub food.

We had 1 with Roast Pork, 1 with Char Siu Pork, 1 with Fried Chicken and a Mac and Cheese with mushroom and kimchi. All of them brilliant and would quite happily have ordered the same again. The Mac and Cheese was incredible, big thick slices of mushroom and just enough heat and kimchi to lift the dish. All served with the lovely Blood Orange Sour they had on tap

I finally went to try these Baos. I thought the Baos themselves were okay, if a little keenly priced. The special fries were are joy, however, great pub food.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I was in there post match as well; I was a little surprised to see Guinness on tap.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was in there post match as well; I was a little surprised to see Guinness on tap.

I don't recall seeing any man bags lying around!

Yes I know what you mean, but I think they do well to cater for the 'casual' drink normally with 1 lager and the Guinness. But would be nice to see another stout in there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't recall seeing any man bags lying around!

We started in Brewdog, then Cafe Plenty, then The Pond. I had a nice Brighton Pier Amber Ale from the cask, I find I drink cask more these days as I can’t get it here. I had another then we moved on to Evening Star, Bier Dispensary, The Albert and finished with a Brooklyn in The Green Door Store. A Ginsters pasty then to bed. A good night.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We started in Brewdog, then Cafe Plenty, then The Pond. I had a nice Brighton Pier Amber Ale from the cask, I find I drink cask more these days as I can’t get it here. I had another then we moved on to Evening Star, Bier Dispensary, The Albert and finished with a Brooklyn in The Green Door Store. A Ginsters pasty then to bed. A good night.

Far more adventurous than us ! Just The Pond and Brooksteed in Worthing (start and finished there.) Cafe Plenty sounds good, I think the former bar manager from Brewdog Brighton is now manager there?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Far more adventurous than us ! Just The Pond and Brooksteed in Worthing (start and finished there.) Cafe Plenty sounds good, I think the former bar manager from Brewdog Brighton is now manager there?

I have visited Brooksteed once myself, nice place. And yes she is!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Core by Clare Smyth, Notting Hill.

Before booking we were a little worried about a few of the pro critics’ ratings done shortly after Core opened late last year - there are a few 3/5 reviews, as well as some higher ones.

Unless the standards have dramatically improved since (possible, but imo unlikely), I have no clue what those critics who gave it 3/5 were thinking!

This is a breath-takingly good restaurant.

The room itself is understated, with attention to detail.

The menus are inventive and well-balanced.

The food itself was exquisitely executed, with appropriate balance given to flavour, texture, appearance, and presentation.

Gareth, the sommelier, has put together a wine pairing flight that is, simply, the best I’ve ever had - really interesting wines that complemented the food perfectly. His table manner was spot on too.

If I had to pick fault (and I’m having to try hard to do so), I’d say the skate dish was a touch over-salted, and the pasta had 45 seconds too long in the saucepan.

I doubt that Michelin ever go from zero to 3* in one hit, so I’d predict 2* immediately, with the third following one or two years later.

Bravo chef, bravo brigade, bravo front of house team, bravo Gareth. They’ve created something truly stunning!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Rewinding the weekend - Friday lunch in CinCin in Hove. Jamie Halsall moved over when the new restaurant opened with a new chef Donal Hughes taking over in Brighton. The Hove site keeps the informal friendly vibe established in Brighton, but the extra kitchen space gives the team a little more creative space. The Italian inspiration is still there, but there seems to be greater scope for showcasing excellent local produce. The net result is a subtle style of cooking that doesn't try to blow you away with big flavours or play tricks on your eyes.

Both restaurants have excellent lunch time offers, if you want a treat without splashing out. We were a little more free with our spending, but even so, I still feel we got an excellent meal for what we paid. This is an Italian for grown ups, I am sure that children would be welcomed if they can clamber onto a high stool, but there is no Margarita Pizza, garlic bread or Spaghetti Napoli on the menu and the counter stools and small spaces don't leave much room for four wheel drive baby buggies either. It probably also rules out those, who demand table clothes, comfy seats and monster menus.

What am I trying to say here? This is not an Italian restaurant for everyone, nor a place for big parties, but the food is just wonderful and the paired down seating creates an atmosphere that is friendly and welcoming. Cincin is highly recommended on that basis.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Core by Clare Smyth, Notting Hill.

Before booking we were a little worried about a few of the pro critics’ ratings done shortly after Core opened late last year - there are a few 3/5 reviews, as well as some higher ones.

Unless the standards have dramatically improved since (possible, but imo unlikely), I have no clue what those critics who gave it 3/5 were thinking!

This is a breath-takingly good restaurant.

The room itself is understated, with attention to detail.

The menus are inventive and well-balanced.

The food itself was exquisitely executed, with appropriate balance given to flavour, texture, appearance, and presentation.

Gareth, the sommelier, has put together a wine pairing flight that is, simply, the best I’ve ever had - really interesting wines that complemented the food perfectly. His table manner was spot on too.

If I had to pick fault (and I’m having to try hard to do so), I’d say the skate dish was a touch over-salted, and the pasta had 45 seconds too long in the saucepan.

I doubt that Michelin ever go from zero to 3* in one hit, so I’d predict 2* immediately, with the third following one or two years later.

Bravo chef, bravo brigade, bravo front of house team, bravo Gareth. They’ve created something truly stunning!

Looks great, and you don't normally get so excited. Might have to see if I can wangle a visit somehow.
I'm off to Lorne in June. Have you been?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Looks great, and you don't normally get so excited. Might have to see if I can wangle a visit somehow.
I'm off to Lorne in June. Have you been?

If you’re prepared to book in advance, it’s fairly straight forward to get a table at Core; 6-8 weeks should do it. Do one of the 2 tasting menus rather than the 3-course a la carte.

Lorne is very good. It’s not in Core’s league in terms of food, but then at perhaps 1/3 the price, it would be churlish to expect it to be! The wine list is excellent, and it’s one of the few places that reds are served at the corect temperatures (according to varietal).

I’d happily eat there again!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If you’re prepared to book in advance, it’s fairly straight forward to get a table at Core; 6-8 weeks should do it. Do one of the 2 tasting menus rather than the 3-course a la carte.

Lorne is very good. It’s not in Core’s league in terms of food, but then at perhaps 1/3 the price, it would be churlish to expect it to be! The wine list is excellent, and it’s one of the few places that reds are served at the corect temperatures (according to varietal).

I’d happily eat there again!

That's good to hear about Lorne. There are four of us going for a long lunch, all ex-Oddbins employees, we used to work together there, so the wine is pretty pivotal to our decision. One of the four goes there regularly, and can even get a 25% discount off food and wine. Their wine list looks impressive, and comparatively cheap, so we should manage to drink some pleasant stuff.

I think I need to go to Core asap as the prices are likely to go up once Michelin recognise what they're doing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here