Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa, whats the outlook for Easter? Are the models suggesting anything?

My guess would be cold and unsettled - but not like we have no... day time temps of 7C, chilly at night - some showery rain.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Papa, whats the outlook for Easter? Are the models suggesting anything?

I'm not Papa, but when I looked at the Netweather forums this morning it looks like the models are mainly looking at a cold Easter due to northerly winds. GFS looks like it might be trying to sniff out another Beast for after Easter, but that's so far away it's not worth mentioning except for the fact it let's me type out "Easter Beast for the East".

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Level 1, small falling in West Worthing at the moment.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd expect the last of the snow to have cleared away soon. Then that's it folks!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
i do hope....without being rude, that this thread is buried for years!

Ideally this thread would only pop up between early December to early February, the 'sweet spot' for deep and lasting snowfall down here (weak sun - optimum for low snow melt).

However, one of the perverse aspects of the global setup is that often the coldest sources of air to tap into (from the North or East) tend to be later in the season, when deep cold is able to develop over snow fields, so we end up like we are this year.

One interesting aspect of the loss of Arctic sea ice is the potential increase in Easterly winds for Europe, although they may be less cold - according to this article.

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-declining-arctic-sea-ice-european.html

Not that cold this time!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

Well I have to say I have heartedly enjoyed it this year. This thread is the weather equivalent of watching the Albion over my lifetime. Many years of general nothingness and then something quite unexpectedly good.

Looking forward to 2030 when proper winters will again be a thing due to the sun doing stuff that I don't really understand. https://news.sky.com/story/scientists-predict-mini-ice-age-could-hit-uk-by-2030-11186098

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Well I have enjoyed it for the last few weeks, but have had my fill of it now.

1) cant remember as many days in winter when snow was falling in the sky.
2)cant remember as many days during the day that the snow was settling. Previous years big events usually happened at night.
3) only disappointment was only getting a dusting or about an inch, not really the disruptive 3 or 4 inches that would freeze over and led me to have a few days of work in the past, like 2010 I think?

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
This thread may pop up again sooner than you think. Beast from the east part 3 is possible over the Easter Holidays apparently.

Has anyone got any info on the likelihood of this happening?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yoda

English & European
This thread may pop up again sooner than you think. Beast from the east part 3 is possible over the Easter Holidays apparently.

Easter more likely "colder" but wouldn't place any bets on snow at the moment.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I'd say it's almost certain that Easter will be cold for the time of year, with a northerly likely this time (via a ridge in the Atlantic). It won't be as cold as the previous 2 events, with daytime temps above freezing (somewhere around 5C -/+ 2C) but there still is a snow risk.

graphe_ens3_yyw8.gif

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

A B'Easter'ly is unlikely from what I've seen. One of the model runs hinted at a possibility, but last I saw that's disappeared again now. More likely to have some form of northerly, which'll be cold, but exactly how cold yet to be determined.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here