Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Assuming we appoint Graham Potter, your gut feeling on next season

How will Potter do next season?

• Total voters

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
And we'll have £3m+ less money to spend on players after we've paid his and Hughton's get out clause, it seems.

Whether you're positive or negative about Potter, it's certainly a massive gamble by Tony that could very easily not pay off.

No more of a gamble than keeping Hughton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
It will be a period of transition over the next couple of seasons as the squad is overhauled to suit Potter's style & tactics. Maybe it means a dogfight at the bottom of the table or just above until the right players are in & the wrongs ones moved on. Wont be an overnight wonder but I think it will be more enjoyable to watch even when we lose as at least we would have put a shift in & tried to win rather than the previous try not to lose mentality.

My heart says will be a notable improvement and relative ease of acquiring safety but my head says it may go to the wire again in his first season but I think TB will give him time & the resources he wants & needs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As we currently stand, relegation.

We do not have the players to play too open and ‘expansive’, and would frequently be caught out.

What makes you so sure?

Just because the players havent been allowed to play 'open and expansive' football doesnt mean they cant.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It would have been interesting to see if Potter could've got anymore out of the current crop of players?

Our current defence is more than capable at this level.

Our midfield has been woeful at times, teams literally waltzing through us, the writing was on the wall when we faced Wolves at home, our only shot on target converted by Murray then backs to the wall.

Leicester at home no better, midfield inadequate against ten men, our defence under constant pressure.

Seemed to wake up over the Christmas period turning in two decent efforts. January let a two goal lead slip away at West Ham and replicated it against Fulham.

Then the closing few games, it did seem like a rift had occurred and the team seemed lack lustre and divided, culminating in the 0-5 home debacle against Bournemouth.

Assuming we appoint Potter, it will be interesting to see which players survive and which players are outed if any?

Bloom may be under the impression that Hughton wasn't getting the best out our record signing, injuries to Groß and Izquierdo did not help Hughton's cause.

Exciting times maybe, but we as fans are very fickle, a few inept home performances and us languishing at the foot of the table then who knows.

Potter or whoever we appoint will have to hit the ground running so here's to an exciting rollercoaster ride next season.:albion2:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
People say this is a gamble as he has no experience. But what’s the alternative? The only proven Premier League managers who will entertain the idea of Brighton are the usual suspects Hughes, Big Sam, Purdue, Pulis etc. Id much rather we employ a hungry young manager with fresh ideas. The worst that can happen is we get relegated.....which really isn’t that big a deal. Pro Potter! And he will do well!

Say what you want about Big Sam, but you can’t accuse him of not being hungry. :)

People say this is a gamble as he has no experience. But what’s the alternative? The only proven Premier League managers who will entertain the idea of Brighton are the usual suspects Hughes, Big Sam, Purdue, Pulis etc. Id much rather we employ a hungry young manager with fresh ideas. The worst that can happen is we get relegated.....which really isn’t that big a deal. Pro Potter! And he will do well!

I guess the issue is fans got very unsettled with Hughton even despite all the heroic things he did in recent memory. How much quicker will that happen with a guy with no achievements with us? He had better have a decent start or the mood could get very dark, very quickly.

Which is why the club need to pull out all the stops now and get in at least 5-6 guaranteed first team starters. At least that.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
With Hughton we would be guaranteed to be struggling from the off with the usual defend at all costs, no shots on target in away games and no tactical changes or subs till it's too late. Potter is an unknown quantity but if we are to go down I'd rather play football than just stink the PL out like we did since Christmas

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If it is Potter (not checked for a few minutes), he isn't stupid and I would imagine he is fully aware of the playing style required. With regard to the 'we don't have the players' comment, maybe we do? Playing them in their best positions and in a new system might surprise a lot of us.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

The question was as we currently stand. My opinion is we don't.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Hang my head in shame? Really? A tad harsh! Chris may of taken us down. But you really can’t say that for sure can you?

I really hope I’m wrong. But Potter is a huge gamble. Even you can’t deny that.

I haven’t. But you seem extremely unwilling to get behind Tony’s plan.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I'm pessimistic to be honest. It seems to me the board have taken the easy way out of a change in manager to appease the fans. What happens now will entirely depend on spending big and a massive squad turnover. Will that happen? What do you think?

I was critical of Hughton but he wasn't the real problem, the woeful signings were.... plus all our key goal-scoring players (Murray, Gross, Jose) turning shit at the same time.

What I think we are losing sight of is that Hughton's pragmatism managed that dire situation, not perfectly by any stretch but better than most would have, including our new guy I fear.

Your last paragraph is pure assumption with no basis and can never by proved or disproved. In short, it is laughable.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What makes you so sure?

Just because the players havent been allowed to play 'open and expansive' football doesnt mean they cant.

Because there is a distinct lack of pace in the team. I do feel you are a little blinkered on this (sorry), and Murray apart (which is fair comment pace wise), I don't recall you being as critical prior to Christmas when we were doing well - (not saying you weren't just can't recall).

We basically (and again all IMO), have some distinctly average players from an offensive point of view. Even when we had the chance to be 'expansive', we used the ball so badly often taking the wrong option, that is not bad coaching, that is lack of natural ability. Even on a good day Izquierdo for example rarely lifts his head if he is on a run, and we all know he is going to cut inside. Same with Knockaert. Bissouma, who probably matured the most in the final part of the season, initially adopted a shoot on sight policy.

AJ (whilst I remain on the fence), has yet to show anything. Locadia I simply don't rate, poor touch and perhaps out of all the players, I just can't see where he fits in (hope to be proved wrong). Murray - legs have all but gone. Gross has ability but will he fit. Propper great talent, but flatters to deceive a bit. Andone, another poor touch, and flatters to deceive.

So, as per the question, how do you feel currently - answer - not confident, and if it started tomorrow with the current squad I think we'll go down........

Of course, I await some new players that fit a new style.

Your last paragraph is pure assumption with no basis and can never by proved or disproved. In short, it is laughable.

On the contrary, Potter will prove or disprove it probably by November or December I reckon, I wish him well

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because there is a distinct lack of pace in the team. I do feel you are a little blinkered on this (sorry), and Murray apart (which is fair comment pace wise), I don't recall you being as critical prior to Christmas when we were doing well - (not saying you weren't just can't recall).

We basically (and again all IMO), have some distinctly average players from an offensive point of view. Even when we had the chance to be 'expansive', we used the ball so badly often taking the wrong option, that is not bad coaching, that is lack of natural ability. Even on a good day Izquierdo for example rarely lifts his head if he is on a run, and we all know he is going to cut inside. Same with Knockaert. Bissouma, who probably matured the most in the final part of the season, initially adopted a shoot on sight policy.

AJ (whilst I remain on the fence), has yet to show anything. Locadia I simply don't rate, poor touch and perhaps out of all the players, I just can't see where he fits in (hope to be proved wrong). Murray - legs have all but gone. Gross has ability but will he fit. Propper great talent, but flatters to deceive a bit. Andone, another poor touch, and flatters to deceive.

So, as per the question, how do you feel currently - answer - not confident, and if it started tomorrow with the current squad I think we'll go down........

I do think there was an awful lot of fear this year.
The kind of fear that makes classy players like Propper so introverted they dither on the edge of his own penalty area.

All our attacking players can attack.
Maybe they wont be in a position to cut in.
Maybe they will have team mates in the opposition box.
Maybe the ball will be allowed to move forward, fast.

Ive always felt GM slows the entire team up and have found that very frustrating.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

A lot of this makes sense, but... I think you are severely underestimating the impact a new manager can have on a player already at his disposal (bad, as well as good, TBF)...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I do think there was an awful lot of fear this year.
The kind of fear that makes classy players like Propper so introverted they dither on the edge of his own penalty area.

All our attacking players can attack.
Maybe they wont be in a position to cut in.
Maybe they will have team mates in the opposition box.
Maybe the ball will be allowed to move forward, fast.

Ive always felt GM slows the entire team up and have found that very frustrating.

Yes, can't argue with any of that, but a lot of 'maybe's'..... When you asked me why, I did say as it's 'as we stand' and their is little evidence as to whether any of those 'maybe's' will actually be realised.......

I just think we have poor offensive players, seen nothing to make me think otherwise even when we did attack.

As I say, some better recruitment required.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A lot of this makes sense, but... I think you are severely underestimating the impact a new manager can have on a player already at his disposal (bad, as well as good, TBF)...

Sure, and I hope you're right. I mean it certainly worked with AEA under Poyet.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
On the contrary, Potter will prove or disprove it probably by November or December I reckon, I wish him well

Hmmm... not sure he will... it’s start again, new broom and, I suspect, a few new players...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I guess the issue is fans got very unsettled with Hughton even despite all the heroic things he did in recent memory. How much quicker will that happen with a guy with no achievements with us? He had better have a decent start or the mood could get very dark, very quickly.

Which is why the club need to pull out all the stops now and get in at least 5-6 guaranteed first team starters. At least that.

5-6 is a bit extreme, but we certainly need 2-3 minimum of real quality who are ready to go and slot straight in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Breath of fresh air, we’ll do well.

Because as well as Graham Potter joining, we have a good 3 months to sign better first team players where we have glaring deficiencies, and the club's hierarchy are now experienced in PL transfer business.

5-6 is a bit extreme, but we certainly need 2-3 minimum of real quality who are ready to go and slot straight in.

I'd say only Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo, Propper and March deserve to be automatic starters next season. All the rest to a greater or lesser degree got Hughton fired. Let's hope they don't rack up another casualty by Christmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here