Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure I want any manager who doesn’t jump at the chance of joining the Albion. This is starting to sound a little like that Bournemouth player who used us as a bargaining chip to get more money. Let him stay at Swansea if it’s a case of getting assurances that they won’t sell players or he’ll leave.

Leave him to his project

If Phil Neville is our second choice I may have reconsider what I just wrote though :smile:

I can see myself moving to “bring CH back” soon

We don't know that he doesn't want to. These discussions may well be about agreeing what it might take to let him have the discussions with us, which (as far as we know) have so far been refused.

I can't believe he didn't go to Swansea without assurances of how they would rebuild and provide him some level of funding to do that. It certainly didn't materialise and I doubt any sensible fella will swallow the same line twice.

I'd also expect that PB/DA wouldn't want anyone that didn't show a real desire to be here, having to prize someone away from their current job in order to join us isn't in any way sensible

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
But in fairness, he is not in a position to. He's under contract with Swansea, who haven't as yet approved our approach. He can't jump at an offer that isn't officially on the table.

Yes but I'm sure a journalist has asked him about the interest Brighton are showing. Surely then he would say he was happy at Swansea and has no intention of going anywhere. Also I am pretty sure he would have been tapped up somehow and would know whether we were interested or not.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Not sure I want any manager who doesn’t jump at the chance of joining the Albion. This is starting to sound a little like that Bournemouth player who used us as a bargaining chip to get more money. Let him stay at Swansea if it’s a case of getting assurances that they won’t sell players or he’ll leave.

Leave him to his project

If Phil Neville is our second choice I may have reconsider what I just wrote though :smile:

We don't know what's being discussed today, it might be him telling them that he's had enough and wants out. Something he was considering earlier in the season if reports are to be believed.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He needs to be careful, the Premier League is unforgiving. I am pretty sure it is easier for him working with young talent at Swansea than our multinational squad which seems to have issues. Further unless he keeps us out of the relegation zone playing attractive football he is not likely to be here that long. That is quite a task with whom we have in our squad. We are not an easy job in the PL for sure, mind you.. there is probably not one !!!!

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Yes but I'm sure a journalist has asked him about the interest Brighton are showing. Surely then he would say he was happy at Swansea and has no intention of going anywhere. Also I am pretty sure he would have been tapped up somehow and would know whether we were interested or not.

But he has to be very careful in how he answers such questions. To say he's flattered by the interest could be construed as being disloyal. At the same time, he might not want to put off interest in clubs like ours approaching him. In many respects, he can't win with how his answers would be spun. The best (and most professional) thing for him to do in this instance would be to avoid all media interviews - which he appears to be doing.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You know, if I wanted a job, really wanted it... well i’d resign, negating any compensation between the two clubs in question... yep, i’d heve been here by now.

We’re being played for fools.

As others have said this smacks of, listen I really want to stay, but what can you give assure me to make that happen. If he comes it’ll because he was forced to leave a job he sees as a long term project. I want a manager who will just say... yes. Bugger complex negotiations between my current club, I resign, negotiate terms with you and by Tuesday (gone) i’m holding the scarf aloft with glee.

I haven’t fancied this from the off, neither I suspect has he.

All very meh indeed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You know, if I wanted a job, really wanted it... well i’d resign, negating any compensation between the two clubs in question... yep, i’d heve been here by now.

We’re being played for fools.

You'd quit a job, before being interviewed? Sure we are very interested in him and he is our first choice but we very likely have not met him yet nor have we interviewed him.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You'd quit a job, before being interviewed? Sure we are very interested in him and he is our first choice but we very likely have not met him yet nor have we interviewed him.

I do not get why everyone is SO dead set against believing this is GOING NOWHERE. He doesn’t want to come, he’s opted to use this situation to blackmail his current employers to start to back him.

This and our number one target I suspect he’d be given the job regardless of his performance in any interview, which in reality would be us trying to sell the club to him not the other way round.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Leave him to his project

Is this just what happens when clubs conduct themselves as per the regulations regarding an approach to a manager/player?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This and our number one target I suspect he’d be given the job regardless of his performance in any interview, which in reality would be us trying to sell the club to him not the other way round.

You remember what happened to Lewis Grabban don't you? Transfer fee accepted, wages agreed. We met him and he was an arse hat so we pulled out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So are you claiming that Bloom has been out Pokered and Potter has used him like a whore to get a better deal?

I'm not, no.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

The manager will have an agent, and what you just said will make him scratch his head with the confusion of a cat with ten mice running towards it, all carrying little chunks of cat food... It's not the way it's done these days.

It could all be a very pretty and intricate dance involving Potter, BHAFC and the manager we really want.

Potter agrees to be the 'firm favourite' for the job. He has no intention of coming, but just wants a pay rise and a longer contract at Swansea so is happy to knowingly play along. The 'real' target is on the back foot as he thinks we're close to signing Potter, so his demands will be lower and/or he's forced to make a quicker decision. Everyone wins, apart from the manager we want, kind of.

There's a whole manner of bullshit we're not party to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We can't interview him until Swansea agree to the release clause price. I think we have made an offer and Swansea want us to up it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here