Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game of thrones

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Unbelievable episode! By far my favourite of the series! Can't wait for the last episode! I'll be sad when it's finally over!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
By far and away the pick of the season so far

- Dany going full on head mental will have her up for War crimes by the Hague. Her descent into madness is believeable with her family history ( every bloke knows that it is always the pretty ones that are hard work) and it sets things up nicely for the last episode.
- The Pacing is all over the place. Episodes 1 and 2 were filler, 3 and 5 Hollywood battles and 4 a complete mess.
- I'm not convinced the Lannisters are dead. The Jamie getting stabbed was a bit of a cop out. Surely Euron would have finished him off? In any case, Euron has been the poorest villain we've had by a mile. All he was missing was a dick dastardly laugh
- The Hound got a good send off. Yarp will be missed.
- Was there any relevance to Desert Orchid turning up at the end or was it like horse Uber to get Arya to get to wherever she needs to go to slot Dany? It's horse Uber isn't it?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Sigh - I know that i'm going to get sot to pieces for this but i thought that last nights show was fecking terrible. A 6.9 rating on IMDB would appear to point to the same conclusion being reached by many.

Visually - spectacular
everything else - dreadful.

Ultimately, despite all the action/CGI, it was boring due to the lack of focus on plot/pacing etc. I'll watch the last episode as I've invested a great deal of time to get to this point and I do want to see how it all pans out. But the truth is that i'm not really that bothered anymore.

Fair play to those who loved it. I wanted, and expected, better.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Sigh - I know that i'm going to get sot to pieces for this but i thought that last nights show was fecking terrible. A 6.9 rating on IMDB would appear to point to the same conclusion being reached by many.

Visually - spectacular

Ultimately, despite all the action/CGI, it was boring due to the lack of focus on plot/pacing etc. I'll watch the last episode as I've invested a great deal of time to get to this point and I do want to see how it all pans out. But the truth is that i'm not really that bothered anymore.

Exactly where I am with the show now. Storylines that previously would've been built up and developed are getting fast tracked amd it feels completely forced.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Visually - spectacular

Agreed. This is the problem, and suggests that D&D have ****ed up royally - after 8 seasons, I should be MASSIVELY emotionally invested in how this works out. But I've just felt flat since The Long Night.

The way they have rushed it has meant the stakes have so often felt really low, as they haven't given time to make many situations believable, and thus worthy of caring about.

Entertaining fluff now, but nothing more. The early seasons were FAR more worthwhile than that.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I've enjoyed the ride, but agree the last two season's have rather seen a downturn (or drastic and detrimental upturn) in pacing, scripting and character development...

My call is that Dany finds Jon guilty of 'treason' attempts to burn him, and the big dragon refuses as he is the one true king of the Westeros... Dany is left rather toothless as it were and her end then comes swiftly. Jon will refuse the throne, have it destroyed, declare a republic and leave the 'people' (what's left of them!) to rule. He'll then ride off into the north much like Clint Eastwood in his legendary westerns.

Tyrion will obviously head up the republic as a man of the people and...

Roll end credits.

Lots more people will probably die as this unfolds, but that just about sums it up.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The problem is that George Martin never wrote his final books and Sky needed to bring the series to a conclusion.

The final two episodes are not based on Martin at all, hence the failure to develop the storyline properly. The ending may well not be what he would have planned had he been allowed to do so.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. This is the problem, and suggests that D&D have ****ed up royally - after 8 seasons, I should be MASSIVELY emotionally invested in how this works out. But I've just felt flat since The Long Night.

The way they have rushed it has meant the stakes have so often felt really low, as they haven't given time to make many situations believable, and thus worthy of caring about.

Entertaining fluff now, but nothing more. The early seasons were FAR more worthwhile than that.

Agreed. It just all feels so rushed. To use a cricket analogy; we stand at 2 wins each at the culmination of an amazing Ashes test series and they decide to replace the 5th test with a T20 blast.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I've enjoyed the ride, but agree the last two season's have rather seen a downturn (or drastic and detrimental upturn) in pacing, scripting and character development...

My call is that Dany finds Jon guilty of 'treason' attempts to burn him, and the big dragon refuses as he is the one true king of the Westeros... Dany is left rather toothless as it were and her end then comes swiftly. Jon will refuse the throne, have it destroyed, declare a republic and leave the 'people' (what's left of them!) to rule. He'll then ride off into the north much like Clint Eastwood in his legendary westerns.

Tyrion will obviously head up the republic as a man of the people and...

Roll end credits.

Lots more people will probably die as this unfolds, but that just about sums it up.

I like the dragon idea. Does Sansa have any part in this final episode? I have a feeling she may play a part in Daenerys' demise.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes it's rushed, but I am enjoying the craziness of it. We are too stuck in our ways, needing dramatic endings to characters all the time.

When you think about it, you see extras getting chopped down left right and centre, but the movie industry has made us feel robbed when a main character is ended quickly.

I like it. If a dragon is going round SMASHING THE SHIT out of everything then there isn't really time for an emotional goodbye every time. You are being SIZZLED and that's you done.

As a stand alone bit of TV, I thought it was excellent. I appreciate I'm in the minority.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'Breaking Bad' - that's how you do a finale

Season 4 of Breaking Bad is my favourite TV season ever. You have about 4/5 fully fleshed out, believable characters all in seemingly impossible situations, all coming to a head. Genius writing.

Anyone got any other contenders for this?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
HBO, sky just broadcast it in the UK

HBO didn’t want it to end this quickly. They wanted 10 seasons, George RR Martin wanted 13, but the show’s writers wanted 7. We got 8 because HBO convinced them to extend it.

Still beyond me how they intended to finish it quicker. Problem is that the books ended around season 5, so for the past 3 seasons the writers have been making a major departure and the quality of writing has nosedived.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Not been watching but colleagues at work said it was " Wonderful with all that killing ".... I can only assume that those still left alive will polish off each other until it ends up with one person who tops themselves to tidy everything up ? Might come down to suicides in order to keep the Kill Count up !

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Yes it's rushed, but I am enjoying the craziness of it. We are too stuck in our ways, needing dramatic endings to characters all the time.

When you think about it, you see extras getting chopped down left right and centre, but the movie industry has made us feel robbed when a main character is ended quickly.

I like it. If a dragon is going round SMASHING THE SHIT out of everything then there isn't really time for an emotional goodbye every time. You are being SIZZLED and that's you done.

As a stand alone bit of TV, I thought it was excellent. I appreciate I'm in the minority.

I'm in your minority group mate. Aside from the downturn in quality of dialogue, which whilst a bit annoying doesn't detract for me from the overall spectacle and sheer nuttiness of what is one of the best things ever put on the small screen. And yes, I'd have liked more series to flesh things out more, but I'm absolutely loving it and looking forward to whatever spin-offs come next.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here