Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hughton IN

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
What is this "next level" and what does that mean to you?
A lot on here claim that the next level means attacking football. But what they really mean is winning, attacking football.
After a few losses, there will be plenty on the managers back, even if they show some tactical variation and entertaining style of football.
There is no guarantees of sucess. Fulham bought players and changed managers to try and achieve that.

Personally I'm happy with small incremental improvements.
Plenty won't see it, but this season has been better than last.

How can this season be better than last , we have less points and further down the table

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
How can this season be better than last , we have less points and further down the table

Because we have had far more injuries than last season.
We have had the distraction of the FA cup semi final.
We have started competing away from Home
We are far more competitive against the top 6.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Tactically we’ve been better. Last season we conceded so many goals from corners. Defensively, D&D have been even better. I am a self-confessed bedwetter but my settled view is that we should stick with CH. It’s the recruitment team who need to step up.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Pie in Sky. Fed up with 'little old Brighton scrapping with big boys' type comments; that is sort of talk that will end with relegation and 'Well, we never could have competed with them' comments. Far too defeatist. There are 14 teams that are not 'big boys', plenty to take points from.

If you get promoted to PL, you compete or get relegated. Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, to mention three, compete. Brighton are not presently. Chris Sutton put it succinctly on commentary: "Brighton have lost their identity". To be fair that was based on the first 20 minutes but why are we so crap in that period? It was same in home game against Arsenal and Newcastle last week. CH seems to have given up any hope of scoring so it is defending Alamo from the off, only to escape from shell once a goal down. He is aware of the poor starts in his post match comments but surely it is down to him and his tactics to start games on the front foot.

The stats are frightening: we are heading for Huddersfield exit next season unless things change. They might but I just cant quite see CH doing it. Sutton queried a couple of times whether he will be manager; personally hope not.

Great post! Completely agree. One half decent result against a poor Arsenal team and the happy clappers such as Croydonilson spout drivel about how all is great and we should be happy with a 17th place finish after watching the dullest football the PL has seen in years all season!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s the recruitment team who need to step up.

Indeed. We’ve had no one to take over the impressive form of Izqueirdo & Groß from last season.

This summer will be critical.

A new Glenn Murray is desperately needed along with a Pröpper replacement and someone to deputise for Groß. It’s essential that we sign players for the 4-4-1-1 instead of forwards who play in a front 3.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t get where I am today by voting our manager in or out based on one game. :smile:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yawn. Is that our first point away against a top 6 side in 2 seasons? I still believe we haven’t won a game for over two months? Sorry if I don’t crack open the Chris in fizz just yet. The big question for me is can we trust CH with five or six new signings next season? Jury is massively out for me.

Hopefully we won't be going for 5 or 6 players, because if we do, on our budget that will mean a job lot of also rans who are no better than what we've got. Just like last summer. Hughton (or any other manager) would have a difficult time making the team work better with half a dozen new players to bed in who are no better than what we've got.

Two (three at the outside) new players who are significantly better than what we've got will improve the team - and the players we've got have got enough about them to raise their game with real quality, power and speed in the side. And yes, those new players will cost a lot - probably all of our available budget, but that's a better way to move forward incrementally (as per our long term plan) than splashing out on another bunch of bargain basement not-quite-good-enoughs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Great post! Completely agree. One half decent result against a poor Arsenal team and the happy clappers such as Croydonilson spout drivel about how all is great and we should be happy with a 17th place finish after watching the dullest football the PL has seen in years all season!

There's been some dull football, its definitely been poor and Bournemouth/Cardiff were shockingly bad performances this season (although Bournemouth wasn't dull ! just horrible) . There was last season as well.
But really ? The "dullest football the PL has seen in years" . Hardly.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You are wasting your time with this one. Anybody claiming this season is better than last has no idea about football. We have stunk out all 4 divisions with our brand of anti football.

Yesterday, the team were free from relegation worries and played much better-they were much more relaxed. Didn't prevent a return to the usual dropping back after we scored, inviting pressure from Arsenal. That is the Hughton default setting these last two seasons.

A much improved performance over recent games but not enough to change my mind about Hughton.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You are wasting your time with this one. Anybody claiming this season is better than last has no idea about football. We have stunk out all 4 divisions with our brand of anti football.

Yesterday, the team were free from relegation worries and played much better-they were much more relaxed. Didn't prevent a return to the usual dropping back after we scored, inviting pressure from Arsenal. That is the Hughton default setting these last two seasons.

A much improved performance over recent games but not enough to change my mind about Hughton.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Tend to agree with most of this although I would suggest that Arsenal's superior players were the reason we were pegged back but we did break with pace a couple of times and a slightly earlier pass to the player in space might have resulted in goal. Also, agree about Hughton. He has two completely free hits in yesterday and next week but when the pressure is on for points, like it has been for some time, he will revert to what he knows (and unfortunately believes) is the best way and that is ultra defensive.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Today’s performance backed up my thoughts fore the rest of this incredibly tense run in that Hughton is very much the man to take us into next season. A fantastic performance, the players are still very much behind him as are the board, learn from our mistakes this season and another season of EPL football to look forward to.

:clap2:

If it's "confirmed after this performance" then you're like the blown by the wind Hughton in/out fans who change opinion emotionally with every game.

Look at the big picture, look over the last 20 matches. Yesterday's performance was better with no pressure. But what about when the pressure was actually on?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blimey , a point against a poor Arsenal team and CH is a football genius.
Some people are easily pleased.
I enjoyed the game on the telly and it was good to see some positive footy after the dirgy stuff that has been dished up.
I still have serious reservations about the manager, but I reckon he'll be here next season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tactically we’ve been better. Last season we conceded so many goals from corners. Defensively, D&D have been even better. I am a self-confessed bedwetter but my settled view is that we should stick with CH. It’s the recruitment team who need to step up.

Really? Is it the recruitment team that send a team out not to concede and to try and 'nick' a goal. You have to compare the team that played yesterday with the teams that have been coming out for the last 3 months with the shackles on! Bissouma is an absolute star yet he comes in one week and gets dropped the next. Last week we had a cripple playing on the wing with a fit March and Knockaert on the bench. AJ seems to have something over CH as he gets the nod week in week out yet contributes nothing, either defensively or in attack.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Blimey , a point against a poor Arsenal team and CH is a football genius.
Some people are easily pleased.
I enjoyed the game on the telly and it was good to see some positive footy after the dirgy stuff that has been dished up.
I still have serious reservations about the manager, but I reckon he'll be here next season.

It feels like North Korea sometimes, doesn't matter what's going on around you, dont question it, just give us you're biggest cheesy grin and keep clapping :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If only we had an effective but boring 'Plan B' to revert to when things are going badly and the team are devoid of confidence ???

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Really? Is it the recruitment team that send a team out not to concede and to try and 'nick' a goal. You have to compare the team that played yesterday with the teams that have been coming out for the last 3 months with the shackles on! Bissouma is an absolute star yet he comes in one week and gets dropped the next. Last week we had a cripple playing on the wing with a fit March and Knockaert on the bench. AJ seems to have something over CH as he gets the nod week in week out yet contributes nothing, either defensively or in attack.

I think that the Recruitment team do what CH requests.
This post reflects my concerns.
Why did AJ start again? He is obviously not performing and this was confirmed again with his substitution at half time.
And has CH policy suddenly changed from the constant 70th minute subs? We now seem to be (finally), making tactical substitutions.
Kayal and Izquierdo playing last week injured, AJ starting today and Bissouma not trusted.
There are still questions, but not of the recruitment team. They do their job and buy the best that the budget allows based on CH requirements. They don’t select the team or the tactics or the budget.
That is down to TB, Barberout and CH

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Because we have had far more injuries than last season.
We have had the distraction of the FA cup semi final.
We have started competing away from Home
We are far more competitive against the top 6.

1) we've had a bigger, better squad to cope with these injuries, in theory at least.
2) it became a distraction because we made such heavy work of teams in lower divisions.
3) this is very, very much debatable. I've been to a lot of away games this year and we've been dross in a substantial amount of them and our record proves that. The only teams with worse away records than us were the relegated three, I believe (although I'm happy to be proven wrong).
4) really? We beat Man Utd at home both seasons and lost both away, Chelsea have beaten us comfortably both times in both stadia, Spurs beat us both times this year despite us getting a draw at home last year, and Arsenal we beat last year (albeit we got a draw away from home this year when the pressure was off), but we've only picked up 2 points compared to the 3 of last season. City have beaten us in every game and I suspect will next year. Liverpool have beaten us every game too. We might be losing in a more effective way, but we're still losing most of the games against them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It feels like North Korea sometimes, doesn't matter what's going on around you, dont question it, just give us you're biggest cheesy grin and keep clapping :)

Drivel ...everyone gets there opportunity to say what they feel about CH ...there’s enough evidence of that on here..with comments for and against

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here