Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know Deloitte very well - Their research in producing such lists is not exhaustive

[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], please can you answer this one?

A couple of posters have dismissed Deloitte’s research on football finance as inadequate and so as a result, we should ignore for example their tables of worldwide clubs sorted by income.

Is their work on football finance to be dismissed, or an accurate source of information?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know you’re a comparative newbie to Brighton so wonder if you knew that Sussex hasn’t provided a decent striker in living memory as far as I’m aware. Solly may be the first if he continues to improve.

Could be wrong though, maybe it’s Albion that have never taken one on who became great, but I am struggling to remember one at all from Sussex regardless

Bloody Southern Softies

I always thought Michael Robinson was Brighton born

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always thought Michael Robinson was Brighton born

Memory may be playing tricks here but I thought he was from Preston and in the same team as Mark Lawrenson

Half right he is actually from Leicester according to Google but he did start out at Preston.

We signed him from Manchester City

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Memory may be playing tricks here but I thought he was from Preston and in the same team as Mark Lawrenson

Half right he is actually from Leicester according to Google

Yeh just looked it up...…………...I was young when he played so couldn't remember

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Watford has Deeney scoring 13 and Ighalo scoring 15 in their first season - they finished 13th. The following season they finished 17th - losing their last six games. Deeney scored 10 and Inghalo scored 1 (he was injured). In 2017-2018 they had four players who scored a combined 23 goals - they were 4th after 8 games but steadily declined after that. This season two strikers have scored 11 each and several others who chipped in between 4-7 goals. Since they were promoted they have spent over £170million on transfers.

Newcastle scored very few goals their first season up - and 'ground' out some 1-0 wins and a lot of draws.This season they have two strikers scoring more than 10 goals. The big difference this season is Newcastle have got results from the teams in the bottom half of the PL. Having Rondon has made a difference.

Bournemouth struggled bigtime their first season up and ended 16th - a three game win streak in March saved them. Wilson only played 13 games that season. The following season the were comfortable because King scored 16 goals and two other strikers got 6 each - Wilson also spent some of that season injured. In 2017-2018 the strikers got 25 goals between them and Fraser kicked in another 7 from midfield. And this season Wilson and King have kicked in 26 goals. Bournemouth spent £77million this season - and £160million since they were promoted.

Now you can point the finger and say that Brighton should be doing what these three clubs are doing - but all of them have what Brighton doesn't have - goalscorers - and two of them. And Watford and Bournemouth have spent a significant amount of money consolidating their position in the PL - and even then they have periods when they are under pressure.

Hughton's teams have traditionally played attacking football - but when you are in trouble you have to grind out the results. You can't bake a cake without the right ingredients - and some ingredients are still missing.

Interesting stats. How many of them averaged less than 1 shot on target a game over an eight game stretch?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I know you’re a comparative newbie to Brighton so wonder if you knew that Sussex hasn’t provided a decent striker in living memory as far as I’m aware. Solly may be the first if he continues to improve, if we can be generous in calling a goal scoring winger a striker.

Could be wrong though, maybe it’s Albion that have never taken one on who became great, but I am struggling to remember one at all from Sussex regardless

Bloody Southern Softies

Well, it depends on how long your memory is. Storrington-born Bobby Tambling was Chelsea's all-time top scorer until Frank Lampard overtook him. He played in the 1960s and then joined a small club in South Norwood.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Interesting stats. How many of them averaged less than 1 shot on target a game over an eight game stretch?

I checked Callum Wilson - they have stats for everything these days - since Bournemouth got promoted Wilson has played 89 games - scored 33 goals - and has had a total of 69 shots on target (less than a shot a game).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Actually
No they don't. Please don't confuse online vocalist with Public Opinion

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Doesn't practically every Brighton fan want to get rid of him - after all, his team plays sh*te football.

Where on earth did you get that from?

Only one poll (out of many) on this board has indicated as such, and that was immediately after a 5-0 home defeat to Bournemouth and a 2-0 home defeat to Cardiff. So you can kind of understand the knee-jerk reactions, particulatly as the results themselves don't even explain the whole story - the players looked like they weren't playing for the manager at the time (which was later resolved at Wolves). There are of course many of us on the fence because something clearly went wrong VERY quickly at the worst possible time.

You will find opinion outside of this board even more in favour of Hughton. So I'm not sure whether you have taken some media nonsense as gospel, or believed a few posters on here as if they speak for us all.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Where on earth did you get that from?

Only one poll (out of many) on this board has indicated as such, and that was immediately after a 5-0 home defeat to Bournemouth and a 2-0 home defeat to Cardiff. So you can kind of understand the knee-jerk reactions, particulatly as the results themselves don't even explain the whole story - the players looked like they weren't playing for the manager at the time (which was later resolved at Wolves). There are of course many of us on the fence because something clearly went wrong VERY quickly at the worst possible time.

You will find opinion outside of this board even more in favour of Hughton. So I'm not sure whether you have taken some media nonsense as gospel, or believed a few posters on here as if they speak for us all.

Well, I usually travel in a party of four to games and we all want a change. We also meet up with another group of seven at the ground. They all want a change as well. I have spoken to another five that sit near me at games and they also feel its time to change as well. Small numbers, I know, but thats 100% amongst 15 people of my acquaintance ( and we usually disagree on lots of other BHA issues )

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Well, I usually travel in a party of four to games and we all want a change. We also meet up with another group of seven at the ground. They all want a change as well. I have spoken to another five that sit near me at games and they also feel its time to change as well. Small numbers, I know, but thats 100% amongst 15 people of my acquaintance ( and we usually disagree on lots of other BHA issues )

8 in our group to and we want change as well ,and as a taxi driver people I pick up that go feel the same in fact I have not met one that wants him to stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
8 in our group to and we want change as well ,and as a taxi driver people I pick up that go feel the same in fact I have not met one that wants him to stay

Got a feeling that its pretty widespread and those that think its just a few people on this forum venting their spleen, are misguided.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I know you’re a comparative newbie to Brighton so wonder if you knew that Sussex hasn’t provided a decent striker in living memory as far as I’m aware. Solly may be the first if he continues to improve, if we can be generous in calling a goal scoring winger a striker.

In 8 years Solly has played 145 games and scored a grand total of 9 goals. I admire your optimism but............

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes, knee jerk reaction by typical Albion (home, Amex, 3 year STH) fans after a couple of defeats is to sack the manager because they want to see more entertaining football, more wins and more goals. How this will be achieved they haven’t a clue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here