Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Seen a lot about how we have been negative all season and how we never try to score.
While I accept it has been poor recently I think this is re-writing history.
Checking our results there were only 7 league games all season we had not scored in before our recent run of 7 in a row (and 3 of these were Liverpool and Man City). We scored in EVERY home game until Liverpool on Jan 12.
Yes the last few months have been poor but the season as a whole hasn't in my opinion.
(just wish we hadn't changed the formation when it wasn't needed - at home anyway)

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Seen some shocking football over the past few months but on reflection (and provided we stay up) I don't think our current problems will be that difficult to fix. Its clear from the second half performance yesterday that the 4-4-1-1 formation is the one that suits us best, the main problem being that 1) we have nobody who can step in to the Gross role when he is injured 2) that the Gross and Murray combination doesn't work well away from home because we don't have enough pace upfront.

This could be fixed by spending some big money on a proven pacy striker to replace Murray and a player who can provide competition for Gross. We know the rest of the squad can compete at this level as they proved it during the first part of the season so no need to make wholesale changes. Bloom was clear that the aim for this year was to stay up again and then we would push on next season so I can't see CH going at this stage.

Truthsayer

Nov 29, 2017
OK this is the final say in the matter. Chris Hughton couldn't have done any better with the squad we have. Some of our new attacking players are pretty good but will only show their worth next season. Everybody is forgetting how the season started pretty well and we were unlucky not to get more points. We had played more of the big teams too than most others and were still around mid table early on even though we only had 5 points after 7 games after losing to Man City and Tottenham but then won a few in a row. There were stories from BBC about us looking like we would be surviving with plenty of games to spare. It seems people have short memories - remember the Crystal Palace game where we had Duffy sent off within half and hour and still scored a further two goals in that half (Andone on one of his solo runs for the last one). We were comfortably top half then and only 2 points from 6th place after 15 games (21 points) !! Remember we had lost to Cardiff to an offside goal and had a couple of other weird performances like coming back from two goals down to Southampton and Fulham but were still top half and had been unlucky with some too such as Leicester who got a draw with 10 men.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46353455

We lost the next three narrowly (Duffy was missing for those as he got sent off in the Crystal Palace game) before drawing to Arsenal but were still comfortable and 10 points clear of the relegation spots. We got to the semis of the FA Cup which might have distracted us a bit more recently but it isn't so surprising the performances dropped after so many games as we weren't really expecting it to be too tight near the bottom - remember after that Arsenal draw we then beat Everton to get to 25 points after only 20 games and the BBC wrote on the Everton win:

"Brighton well placed to survive with something to spare. Brighton may no longer be top-flight novices but their primary aim at the start of this campaign will have been to retain their Premier League status. On this evidence they are well placed to do that, and to surpass their achievements from last season when they finished on 40 points in 15th position. This hard-fought victory ensured the Seagulls are four points better off than at the same stage a year ago and can boast a better goal difference. Brighton 1-0 Everton: Seagulls 'good value' for win - Chris Hughton
Manager Chris Hughton will also be delighted with an 11-point cushion to the relegation zone, especially given their formidable home record."

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Seen a lot about how we have been negative all season and how we never try to score.
While I accept it has been poor recently I think this is re-writing history.
Checking our results there were only 7 league games all season we had not scored in before our recent run of 7 in a row (and 3 of these were Liverpool and Man City). We scored in EVERY home game until Liverpool on Jan 12.
Yes the last few months have been poor but the season as a whole hasn't in my opinion.
(just wish we hadn't changed the formation when it wasn't needed - at home anyway)

We've only scored 33 goals all season, 11 of those were by Glenn who at 35 years is probably only going to be a back up player next season.

No amount of positive spin can hide the fact we need serious investment up front. Preferably someone with Premier league experience.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
We've only scored 33 goals all season, 11 of those were by Glenn who at 35 years is probably only going to be a back up player next season.

No amount of positive spin can hide the fact we need serious investment up front. Preferably someone with Premier league experience.

Agreed but the same could be said about Southampton, Burnley, Palace, and oh wait a minute too late for Fulham ( thank you Fulham) Huddersfield ( we love you , yes really) Cardiff ( hope it's you rather than us) so we are all in the same boat really are we not?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Seen some shocking football over the past few months but on reflection (and provided we stay up) I don't think our current problems will be that difficult to fix. Its clear from the second half performance yesterday that the 4-4-1-1 formation is the one that suits us best, the main problem being that 1) we have nobody who can step in to the Gross role when he is injured 2) that the Gross and Murray combination doesn't work well away from home because we don't have enough pace upfront.

This could be fixed by spending some big money on a proven pacy striker to replace Murray and a player who can provide competition for Gross. We know the rest of the squad can compete at this level as they proved it during the first part of the season so no need to make wholesale changes. Bloom was clear that the aim for this year was to stay up again and then we would push on next season so I can't see CH going at this stage.

Very good post

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Agreed but the same could be said about Southampton, Burnley, Palace, and oh wait a minute too late for Fulham ( thank you Fulham) Huddersfield ( we love you , yes really) Cardiff ( hope it's you rather than us) so we are all in the same boat really are we not?

Those who didnt get relegated have all scored 10 or 11 more than us. Our need is greatest.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Again I don't disagree but 24 of these were before 3rd Jan which kind of backs up my point that the WHOLE season hasn't been bad - just the last 3 months.
I just hope the 433/451 experiment is over and we stick to what we do best in 4411.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Again I don't disagree but 24 of these were before 3rd Jan which kind of backs up my point that the WHOLE season hasn't been bad - just the last 3 months.
I just hope the 433/451 experiment is over and we stick to what we do best in 4411.

OK Ive no issue with 4411, as long as it isnt too passive. But that system makes the lone striker role crucial to our success. My fear is Glenn has faded permanently and is going to be very hard to replace.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
OK Ive no issue with 4411, as long as it isnt too passive. But that system makes the lone striker role crucial to our success. My fear is Glenn has faded permanently and is going to be very hard to replace.

I think 98% of Albion fans would agree, it's going to be VERY difficult to replace Glen, let's hope our recruitment ream come up with a forward who can compete with Andone and Locadia. I'm not with this shit who want Glen out because of his dalliance with Palace, just look at his record with both clubs.

Truthsayer

Nov 29, 2017

We were actually unlucky in Jan. Remember being 2-0 up late on away and letting West Ham come back and also being 2-0 up at Fulham. Even after the Fulham loss we should have beat Watford as they had to make loads of saves in the 0-0 and had five shots none on target while we had 21 shots and 4 on target. Then lost to Burnley and unlucky not to get more again with loads of chances and then unlucky again at Leicester at end of Feb (so unlucky three times in a row or five times counting West Ham and Fulham). So really it's only April people should be upset about after the semi final defeat since in March we beat Huddersfield and Crystal Palace before losing narrowly to Southampton at the end of the month. Even then, we've not done badly in the last few games.

Just to highlight what I'm saying look at the table after the Southampton defeat at the end of March: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47676511

We had two games in hand on most other teams and still would have been comfortable had we won that (it was a close game but we didn't play too well). We probably should have been around top half at that point with a small amount of luck even though we'd played less games.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I agree with this. CH has never really been given enough time to build a PL squad of his own - so why not give him that time here?

It was interesting reading the thread of a tweet by Jake Humphey (yeah, him again), where lots of Newcastle fans were chipping in saying they were gutted they couldn't get a win, but didn't mind if it kept Chris in a job. There's a lot of love for him up there still, by all accounts...

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

Totally agree. I've said similar else where. We just need two key signings. As a squad we're not that far off. CH should stay and continue his good work. UTA.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I’m glad that the decisions most important to the club aren’t decided by the ****wits on here.

You happy with 3 wins 5 draws 13 defeats and 14 points in 21 games then ? We have been utterly woeful all year. We need a change of manager. Even if we signed Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar, Hughton would have them in our own half defending for a 0 0

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
You happy with 3 wins 5 draws 13 defeats and 14 points in 21 games then ? We have been utterly woeful all year. We need a change of manager

You can be unhappy or frustrated with 2019, agree it’s been “woeful” , think some posters are wrong about how to fix it but still make a very strong case to keep the manager as a fair few on here have.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah we're all ecstatic with that.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Why would you want to continue with it next season then ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can be unhappy or frustrated with 2019, agree it’s been “woeful” , think some posters are wrong about how to fix it but still make a very strong case to keep the manager as a fair few on here have.

We’ll find out, CH is going nowhere, so we’ll have to wait and see. I’d prefer a new manager but I’ll be there behind CH next season. It’s not my money at risk but I could live with Championship football if it came to it. Unless things change dramatically we will get relegated next season imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here