Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe Bournemouth just had a better manager?

Time will tell but I think you are absolutely spot on. Smug Eddie is much better equipped for the Premier League imo.

I have been of this opinion for a couple of years now, yes even when we had a good first season in the PL too.

Bournemouth fans are truly living the dream some of their results and performances have been stellar. Yes it goes pear shaped and they suffer heavy defeats and they can lose 7 or 8 on the bounce. Which is exactly what they had done before they completely dismantled us at the Amex last season. Give me Smug Eddie football over CH everytime. Please let Potter be the man to take us to that level of entertainment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
OMG TSB, you are at it once again... I believe you may need to seek help...

They are not yet verified "powder-puffs from crap leagues"... at least give our new manager a chance to sort out the issues your beloved Chris caused (IMHO) by playing them as auxiliary defenders... it is TBC, so shut the **** up for now...

FFS, give our new signing a chance before you slag him off... have you seen him play? I guess not, so you are talking sh1t again...

Your idea of "playing to our strengths", by which I assume you mean 10 men behind the ball, and no attempt on the opposition goal game after game (a la Chris), very nearly got us relegated so, again, just shut the **** up...

OK?

Must be great to live in a world you can blame pretty much everything onto one person. Hopefully the pies will be a bit better next season and the service a bit quicker too. :lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bournemouth take gambles all the time in the transfer market.

How many Premier League proven players have they signed over the last few years? Defoe who flopped & Begovic.

I know you’re doing this “most negative fan in the world” routine as some kind of replacement for an personality but if you’re going to be a boring troll account form now on can you at least be accurate. Cheers.

But they also have a formula which seems to focus on bringing players in from elsewhere in the English League. Whether it's youngsters from Chelsea or Liverpool, or dipping down into The Championship. When they go abroad, it tends to be Spain rather than Belgium and Holland.

Overall, I don;t see how you can dispute that it works for them. While the Dutch League has been a disappointment so far for us.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
OMG TSB, you are at it once again... I believe you may need to seek help...

They are not yet verified "powder-puffs from crap leagues"... at least give our new manager a chance to sort out the issues your beloved Chris caused (IMHO) by playing them as auxiliary defenders... it is TBC, so shut the **** up for now...

FFS, give our new signing a chance before you slag him off... have you seen him play? I guess not, so you are talking sh1t again...

Your idea of "playing to our strengths", by which I assume you mean 10 men behind the ball, and no attempt on the opposition goal game after game (a la Chris), very nearly got us relegated so, again, just shut the **** up...

OK?

I think it's fair to say that the majority of us were entering this window hoping we wouldn't be signing wingers from leagues like Holland and Belgium this summer.

I certainly hope we look elsewhere for the forward we so badly need.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think it's fair to say that the majority of us were entering this window hoping we wouldn't be signing wingers from leagues like Holland and Belgium this summer.

I certainly hope we look elsewhere for the forward we so badly need.

I honestly don't care where players come from, if they have the talent we need. N'Golo Kante wasn't wanted all that long ago, look at what he's done since.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bournemouth seem to manage it fine.

Can we just clarify who all these Bournemouth signings are that were not 'gambles'?

19 year old David Brooks, from Championship Sheffield United?
20 year old Dom Solanke from Liverpool's U23s?
20 year old Jordon Ibe from Liverpool's U23s?
21 year old Steve Cook, with 3 senior appearances under his belt for League One Brighton?
19 year old Lewis Cook from Championship Leeds?
22 year old Nathan Ake for £20m, after 7 senior appearances in 5 years at Chelsea?
Dan Gosling, whose injury record had restricted him to 82 starts in the preceding 8 seasons?
34 year old Defoe on £140k a week?
Callum Wilson from League Two Coventry?

:shrug:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Bournemouth seem to manage it fine..
Ummmm, what? You are arguing that we shouldn't take 'gambles' on people....and use BOURNEMOUTH as your example?
Some recent signings. Please, I'd LOVE you to tell me that if WE were the ones signing them at the time Bournemouth did, you would happily claim there was NO element of 'gambling' on it. ie it was pretty sure to work:

Solanke - Barely played for Liverpool £20m?
Mepham - Signed from powerhouse Brentford. ie, picking a player up from a lower division
Brooks - Signed from Sheffield United who had just been promoted from League One?A two division jump for the youngster. Not a gamble?

We're in the richest league in the world. Why would they have to be "dirt cheap"? In what parallel universe is 20 million euro for a gamble "dirt cheap"?

I never said we were signing dirt cheap players. But we are not in the £40m-£50m market which seems to be where the top top players are now. See above, Solanke cost £20m. I am making the point that signing players with NO element of gamble would cost BLOODY LOADS because everyone would want those same players. You seem to suggest we just aren't BOTHERING to go for the players who don't have an element of risk behind them.

Your argument seems to be that we should know our place and not try to sign anyone good or desirable. Which is a little negative.

We shouldn't KNOW our place, but we simple aren't going to be in the market for the players who are smashing up the top leagues. 1 - we couldn't compete with the big clubs who are also after them and 2 - the player would want to join said big clubs over us at the moment

Honestly, which players would you suggest we go for with £18m to spend (as you quite rightly said is A LOT of money) who you believe are NOT a gamble but good enough to improve our team? So that's no one from a league below ours and no one from a lower foreign league?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I honestly don't care where players come from, if they have the talent we need. N'Golo Kante wasn't wanted all that long ago, look at what he's done since.

Of course it CAN happen. There have been some tremendous players come here from the Dutch League, but I'm just stating what the mood was just a couple of months ago. The Benelux countries have not been a rich vein of untapped Premier League talent for us lately.

Then, the first time we are in for an attacking player, it's back to the same old region that has served us so poorly lately, and somehow everyone is getting all excited over a couple of You Tube videos again. Certainly NOT writing him off before he starts (you have me confused with someone else if you think that is what I do) but equally, I'm not punching the air with delight because there is a half-decent compilation video of the bloke in a League some way inferior to the one we play in. We've been here enough times before, that we have surely learned that lesson.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Leandro Trossard

Time will tell but I think you are absolutely spot on. Smug Eddie is much better equipped for the Premier League imo.

I have been of this opinion for a couple of years now, yes even when we had a good first season in the PL too.

Bournemouth fans are truly living the dream some of their results and performances have been stellar. Yes it goes pear shaped and they suffer heavy defeats and they can lose 7 or 8 on the bounce. Which is exactly what they had done before they completely dismantled us at the Amex last season. Give me Smug Eddie football over CH everytime. Please let Potter be the man to take us to that level of entertainment.

See this is where we differ.

I don’t care how we stay up as long as we stay up.

Entertainment is secondary for me. I think we need to build gradually, with better quality, then progress.

Edit - I might have felt differently had we gone down, but we didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Can we just clarify who all these Bournemouth signings are that were not 'gambles'?

19 year old David Brooks, from Championship Sheffield United?
20 year old Dom Solanke from Liverpool's U23s?
20 year old Jordon Ibe from Liverpool's U23s?
21 year old Steve Cook, with 3 senior appearances under his belt for League One Brighton?
19 year old Lewis Cook from Championship Leeds?
22 year old Nathan Ake for £20m, after 7 senior appearances in 5 years at Chelsea?
Dan Gosling, whose injury record had restricted him to 82 starts in the preceding 8 seasons?
34 year old Defoe on £140k a week?
Callum Wilson from League Two Coventry?

:shrug:

As I said earlier. Of course they are gambles, every signing is, just ask Man Utd about Sanchez, but they do clearly have a pattern to their policy that works. Young (except Defoe, and it didn't work) talent who have played in this country already, so no issues of language, settling in a new country, or the old "getting used to the pace of the game in England."

Our policy is rather different, and I must say, I would prefer to approach it the way they do. Plucking talent out of The Championship, or youth players coming through at the big clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here