[Politics] Jo Brand Comment

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As is Nigel apparently

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=166142&page=2

Reliable source told me Farage wants to lead the HF next season. He has called out Tudor (HF leader) For a sing and dance off at the Beer festival, Winner carries the drumstick next season, loser the drum.

image.png

:lolol::lolol: First reply

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did not say Baker had broken any laws. I was merely stating a difference as to why they might have sacked him as racism can viewed differently..one example being the law.
But since he didn't break the law, it's not really relevant that others do. This is about what he said and what she said.

As for Jo Brand, if you really think she was inciting violence fine. I’ll leave you to it.
She won't have intended to, but she may well have done so unwittingly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Because the facts were entirely different?

Agreed, as you'll read earlier in the thread. That said the fact remains that Baker was sacked for a perceived racist post and Brand supported by the BBC for what could easily be construed as inciting violence, both wrong. The post was about the hypocrisy of the BBC.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Excellent thread this, it shows a fantastic example of 'rules for thee, but not for me' attitude most people have based on their emotional feelings towards a person or their beliefs.

Let's all be absolutely honest, if someone now throws battery acid at a politician the same people defending Brand in here will continue doing the necessary mental gymnastics to make it totally unrelated.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Excellent thread this, it shows a fantastic example of 'rules for thee, but not for me' attitude most people have based on their emotional feelings towards a person or their beliefs.

Let's all be absolutely honest, if someone now throws battery acid at a politician the same people defending Brand in here will continue doing the necessary mental gymnastics to make it totally unrelated.

I think it was a joke rather than an instruction...

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Christ sake. I don't see it as 'a rule for thee, but not for me'. The circumstances are different aren't they. When a comedienne says something on a comedy talk show, and immediately clarifies that it is a joke then you've got to be a bit of a bell end to assume it was anything but a joke. Some of the shite Frankie Boyle says is horrendous, but at no point do most people think it's serious.

I agree with everything else though. In my opinion she's only been funny once and that wasn't even her fault.

Jo to audience at a stand up: "You're a lovely little crowd aren't you"
Heckler: "So are you"

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Brand supported by the BBC for what could easily be construed as inciting violence

Isn't that exactly the point. You'd have to CONTSTRUE it as inciting violence. It's not inciting violence. It's a joke. It was on a comedy podcast. She said it was a joke in the next sentence. The BBC said it was a joke. She therefore wasn't sacked (not that she could be sacked anyway as she doesn't work for the BBC :mad:) You're seeing it as inciting violence as it fits in with your views that the BBC is hypocritical.

Do you seriously believe that people are going to listen to that one line joke in a relatively obscure comedy podcast and use that as justification for violence?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Pretty crass thing to say, but no worse than many other comedians. Will it effect her career, possibly.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
How many people actually listened to this show? Probably less people than are involved in catering for a 'medium lunch' for Jo.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Christ sake. I don't see it as 'a rule for thee, but not for me'. The circumstances are different aren't they. When a comedienne says something on a comedy talk show, and immediately clarifies that it is a joke then you've got to be a bit of a bell end to assume it was anything but a joke. Some of the shite Frankie Boyle says is horrendous, but at no point do most people think it's serious.

I agree with everything else though. In my opinion she's only been funny once and that wasn't even her fault.

Jo to audience at a stand up: "You're a lovely little crowd aren't you"
Heckler: "So are you"

That YouTube comedian lad made a joke video of his pug seigheiling and almost got literal jail time. Using the defence of its comedy doesn't work anymore I'm afraid. These are rules put in place by the courts with precedent.

Or was he being dead serious and inciting a Nazi Pug Revolution?

I think it's all absolutely ridiculous by the way and everyone should be able to say what they want, especially comedians who are an incredibly important cog on the wheel of free speech but at the minute it really is a set of rules applying to people on a pick and choose basis.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

The same politician who for years has stirred up bigotry and xenophobia and denies his "just saying what people think" twattery had anything to do with Jo Cox being murdered? Your whatabouttery is hideous.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1139191701816446977[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here