Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Harumi-san said it was my 7th visit - and first alone. I got some special treatment, some dishes I’d never had before, and two that Toru-san got in specially for me, most noticeably “mollusc” which he only served to me. It was abalone - though he never confirmed it. He did however say it was hand-dived off Point Reyes. Have you ever seen a Japanese man do the nudge, nudge, wink, wink routine? Very funny.

The 80s were, as you know, such a brilliant decade for Bordeaux - with ‘82, ‘83, ‘85, ‘86, ‘89 &’90 being between bloody good and legendary. Some say that Parker made Bordeaux (& Rhône). Bollocks. Bordeaux made Parker - any fule kno that wines that good were, err, good.

I bought 28 cases of ‘82 en primeur. Beat working for a living.

Wow 28 cases en primeur. And there I was thinking I over-indulged things by buying c28 cases from Italy last summer.
Glad Tetsu was thrilling again, and I'm not surprised that you received special treatment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chinese restaurant recommendations in the grim Northern wasteland of Horsham please.

Nothing fancy just standard fair for the family to sit down.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Midland Hotel, Morecambe
This is a restaurant, and not a hotel, thread. I don't stay at hotels often (usually do self-catering), but the boy is somewhat besotted by the whole hotel experience and especially the star ratings. Because he has to endure myself and the missus without any sibling support, sometimes he needs to be taken care of, and he selected returning here for our second visit on the way back from four nights (self-catering) in The Lakes. The Midland has fours, and I suppose that's reflected in excellent and easy service, but it's the design that does it for me. An Art Deco design built in the 30s with original designs and artwork by Eric Gill and Ravilious -- it's not unlike De La Warr (about the only reason to visit Bexhill), The Midland was abandoned and left for derelict until it was picked up with lottery (and probably EU) funding in the early years of the millennium. Urban Splash were involved in its revival and re-design, including the rooms, which showcase what great design is and can (or probably should) be -- see link below. It's such a delight just to spend time there, and The Midland has served as a beacon for further re-investment in Morecambe (sounds as though The Eden Project are on their way). I can't think of a hotel that I'd rather spend time in than this (not that I've experienced too many others).

Anyway this is a restaurant thread. We had breakfast (which was significantly above-average) and dinner there. By 'there', I mean in the impeccably designed room overlooking the changing dynamics of Morecambe Bay. I'd be surprised if there are too many better views for a restaurant in the country. What do you want from such a restaurant? For me, the answer is competence and consistency, and nothing trying too hard. And that's what they delivered. They do a reduced deal if you book with a room, so three courses worked out at c£25. All the dishes were solid, generous and competent. Pig cheek in spelt and spring veg broth. Lamb rump with broccoli and plenty of other pleasant things. Five decent cheeses. The boy is normally easily distracted by restaurants with his parents, but this managed to capture his attention, and he ate all of his (first attempt at) mackerel, duck and sticky toffee pudding. We drank a bottle of Laurent Perrier at £48 a pop, and a really decent 2015 Chianti Classico for £36, both of which were very good. Send the boy up to the room, a bracing stroll along the pier in a storm, and then a couple of whisky cocktails, and we were done. Highly recommended, especially the hotel.

https://www.urbansplash.co.uk/blog/reflecting-on-our-restoration-of-an-art-deco-icon

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Midland Hotel, Morecambe
This is a restaurant, and not a hotel, thread. I don't stay at hotels often (usually do self-catering), but the boy is somewhat besotted by the whole hotel experience and especially the star ratings. Because he has to endure myself and the missus without any sibling support, sometimes he needs to be taken care of, and he selected returning here for our second visit on the way back from four nights (self-catering) in The Lakes. The Midland has fours, and I suppose that's reflected in excellent and easy service, but it's the design that does it for me. An Art Deco design built in the 30s with original designs and artwork by Eric Gill and Ravilious -- it's not unlike De La Warr (about the only reason to visit Bexhill), The Midland was abandoned and left for derelict until it was picked up with lottery (and probably EU) funding in the early years of the millennium. Urban Splash were involved in its revival and re-design, including the rooms, which showcase what great design is and can (or probably should) be -- see link below. It's such a delight just to spend time there, and The Midland has served as a beacon for further re-investment in Morecambe (sounds as though The Eden Project are on their way). I can't think of a hotel that I'd rather spend time in than this (not that I've experienced too many others).

Anyway this is a restaurant thread. We had breakfast (which was significantly above-average) and dinner there. By 'there', I mean in the impeccably designed room overlooking the changing dynamics of Morecambe Bay. I'd be surprised if there are too many better views for a restaurant in the country. What do you want from such a restaurant? For me, the answer is competence and consistency, and nothing trying too hard. And that's what they delivered. They do a reduced deal if you book with a room, so three courses worked out at c£25. All the dishes were solid, generous and competent. Pig cheek in spelt and spring veg broth. Lamb rump with broccoli and plenty of other pleasant things. Five decent cheeses. The boy is normally easily distracted by restaurants with his parents, but this managed to capture his attention, and he ate all of his (first attempt at) mackerel, duck and sticky toffee pudding. We drank a bottle of Laurent Perrier at £48 a pop, and a really decent 2015 Chianti Classico for £36, both of which were very good. Send the boy up to the room, a bracing stroll along the pier in a storm, and then a couple of whisky cocktails, and we were done. Highly recommended, especially the hotel.

https://www.urbansplash.co.uk/blog/reflecting-on-our-restoration-of-an-art-deco-icon

For reasons that aren’t entirely clear to me, I’ve always wanted to go to Morecambe. Also, Whitby. However, I’ve never managed it (unlike Whitby). You’ve just given me an incentive to rectify this glaring omission in my life. Ta!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I still maintain that 17 quid for ham egg and chips specifically is expensive. I know how much a green gammon costs, as well as a sack of potatoes and a duck egg, and other auxiliary items.
£17 for a main in a mid to high end restaurant on the other hand, is very reasonable but I would prefer to see something a little more interesting/imaginative

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back to Murmur for a big family birthday lunch after today's Worthing 10K. Service excellent, I mean spot on point, just the right side of attentive and got a birthday cake on to our table when they saw us exchanging gifts. Very reasonable Gruner Veltliner to wash it all down. Food a little mixed bag, for me. Really nice trout tartar to start and chocolate and pistachio cake to finish, but a main of cod, fregola primavera and truffle was missing a sauce and any real taste of truffle. Again, probably me choosing the wrong dish as no complaints from the rest of the table.

In fact, I have reached that sad day when both my kids want to eat off the adult menu and not the kids' menu. To be fair, they wolfed everything down, but having spent most of their lives hoping they'd be a little less fussy and get in to decent food, I've now discovered that in doing so my wallet is going to get even more bashed when we go out.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I still maintain that 17 quid for ham egg and chips specifically is expensive. I know how much a green gammon costs, as well as a sack of potatoes and a duck egg, and other auxiliary items.
£17 for a main in a mid to high end restaurant on the other hand, is very reasonable but I would prefer to see something a little more interesting/imaginative

If it is just ham, egg and chips, then yes. Without seeing and eating it, it's hard to say. A lot of menus just list the key ingredients nowadays but you can generally assume they've done something with them.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Friday night had a first try out of the Flint House.

They don't appear to accept bookings, which I thought was going to be a real pain. We had a 50 minute wait for a table, which really wasn't a problem, with the number of bars in the vicinity, plus they have a bar and terrace upstairs. Service was friendly and attentive and they describe the food as English Tapas, so we are talking multiple small plates. Wine and drinks list was decent and the venue itself is great. Opening up the lanes gets a big thumbs up from me.

The food I would say is good, but not great. Dates stuffed with blue cheese, was memorable, fresh dabs were beautifully fresh. As I write this I am just starting to wonder though, was it them, or was it me? We did polish off a large quantity of alcohol between four of us and whilst I felt fine, I wonder if it maybe dulled the appreciation. I will be interested to hear what others make of it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Midland Hotel, Morecambe

One of my first jobs on graduating took me to Heysham2 nuclear power station for 2 weeks. this is going to make me sound ancient. Expenses then for my grade were capped around £35 a night as I recall, but bed breakfast and evening meal in a B&B on Morecambe seafront, was £9.50 per night. The food was hearty and wholesome and the bed was comfortable and the evening meal was served at 18:00, which left time for some digestion, a run along the seafront, shower and a couple of beers. I quite liked the place. The Midland Hotel then was still just about open but a magnificent ruin as I recall. You could see that it had real class, but it was a sorry state. I have never been back, but I am glad to hear it is in good shape and add it to a list of places worth dropping in.

For those interested in seafront hotels, this one is also on my list of out the way, but great setting;
https://www.harbour-master.com/

I have been in the bar, which is cosy and welcoming, but have yet to book a stay.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Friday night had a first try out of the Flint House.

They don't appear to accept bookings, which I thought was going to be a real pain. We had a 50 minute wait for a table, which really wasn't a problem, with the number of bars in the vicinity, plus they have a bar and terrace upstairs. Service was friendly and attentive and they describe the food as English Tapas, so we are talking multiple small plates. Wine and drinks list was decent and the venue itself is great. Opening up the lanes gets a big thumbs up from me.

The food I would say is good, but not great. Dates stuffed with blue cheese, was memorable, fresh dabs were beautifully fresh. As I write this I am just starting to wonder though, was it them, or was it me? We did polish off a large quantity of alcohol between four of us and whilst I felt fine, I wonder if it maybe dulled the appreciation. I will be interested to hear what others make of it.

The not accepting bookings thing is all over their website. This may seem churlish but I’m not going to bother until they do. I can’t be doing with deciding to go somewhere and then having to either leave the house way too early or wait around when I’m hungry.

It’s the same as the growing “two hours rule”. I love 64 Degrees but Mrs GB won’t go back after we were virtually chased off our table last time. I want to book and I want to stay talking with my partner and friends till I’m done. I’ll happily order a coffee or digestif if that makes things easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
One of my first jobs on graduating took me to Heysham2 nuclear power station for 2 weeks. this is going to make me sound ancient. Expenses then for my grade were capped around £35 a night as I recall, but bed breakfast and evening meal in a B&B on Morecambe seafront, was £9.50 per night. The food was hearty and wholesome and the bed was comfortable and the evening meal was served at 18:00, which left time for some digestion, a run along the seafront, shower and a couple of beers. I quite liked the place. The Midland Hotel then was still just about open but a magnificent ruin as I recall. You could see that it had real class, but it was a sorry state. I have never been back, but I am glad to hear it is in good shape and add it to a list of places worth dropping in.

For those interested in seafront hotels, this one is also on my list of out the way, but great setting;
https://www.harbour-master.com/

I have been in the bar, which is cosy and welcoming, but have yet to book a stay.

Thanks for the hotel tip. I'm in the vicinity next summer, so might check this out if it fits in with our itinerary.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Midland Hotel, Morecambe

Interesting, and coincidental. [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] and myself are targeting a trip to Morecambe next season in our (sad) quest to complete the 92 and have this hotel in our sights. I remembered a Jay Rayner review but when I Googled it was shocked to find out how long ago it was. I’m pleased you’ve confirmed it’s maintained it’s standards.

PS I also live art deco as a result of many days spent at Saltdean lido as a child.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It’s the same as the growing “two hours rule”. I love 64 Degrees but Mrs GB won’t go back after we were virtually chased off our table last time. I want to book and I want to stay talking with my partner and friends till I’m done. I’ll happily order a coffee or digestif if that makes things easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have noticed this 2hr rule creeping in as well, any idea why ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Pretty obvious, I'd have thought - they want to turn the table over to serve more punters a full meal instead of you sipping away at a glass of port and chatting for another hour.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

So they can 'sell' the table a number of times over in a sitting. Can't say I like it - I prefer to take my time with a good meal.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
If it is just ham, egg and chips, then yes. Without seeing and eating it, it's hard to say. A lot of menus just list the key ingredients nowadays but you can generally assume they've done something with them.

In fairness, I do mention 'auxiliary items'. I cook mine with hay incidentally (£4 a bale from the pet shop), and it gets garnished with English mustard, parsley and crackling - only £12, I'm mugging myself!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In fairness, I do mention 'auxiliary items'. I cook mine with hay incidentally (£4 a bale from the pet shop), and it gets garnished with English mustard, parsley and crackling - only £12, I'm mugging myself!

Where can we try yours?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So they can 'sell' the table a number of times over in a sitting. Can't say I like it - I prefer to take my time with a good meal.

I have mixed feelings. I’m very aware of the tight finances, and how tough working in the industry can be. If I’m paying top dollar and they have such a policy I’d choose a late sitting without a curfew. Otherwise I’d probably just go with it as it hopefully means the restaurant is better financed etc which benefits everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here