Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do. Three reasons:

1) It's cheap fun looking for what you can find without knowing what you want in charity and junk shops. I bought cheap vinyl when everyone wanted CDs, cheap cassettes when they went out of fashion. I'm now buying CDs for next to nothing.
2) At some point half of the people getting rid of CDs now will be looking to replace them when they become fashionable again. They probably won't ever be as collectible as vinyl, but there will be a demand. My daughter has recently paid through the nose for a vinyl copy of Pulp's 'Different Class'. I tried to point out to her that this was not an album that anyone bought on vinyl in the first place. Years into the future people will end up wanting the format that they first bought a record on and with the 90s-2000s that is the CD. These are antiques of the future. The new vinyl copies of old albums that are being made now will be the equivalent of Woolworth's 'Nice Price' range.
3) Spotify is all very well for listening to music, but you can't keep piles of it everywhere to irritate my wife.

I could be wrong but I can't see CDs coming back the way vinyl has. The cases are flimsy and easily cracked, they scratch easily, they don't have the enjoyable physical form that vinyl does. Maybe it's just me, but I've never gained any enjoyment from CDs as a medium, even when they were "popular".

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I could be wrong but I can't see CDs coming back the way vinyl has. The cases are flimsy and easily cracked, they scratch easily, they don't have the enjoyable physical form that vinyl does. Maybe it's just me, but I've never gained any enjoyment from CDs as a medium, even when they were "popular".

I agree, i really dislike CD's, so called crystal cases that broke as soon as you looked at them, that horrible teeth jarring noise they made when they were damaged but most of all they remind me of when the labels charged us £13.99 for them - total rip-off.

On that, isn't it ironic that when CD's came in they were stupid expensive compared to vinyl and now it's the exact opposite.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I absolutely love vinyl and over the last few years have grown the collection massively. I love listening to albums in their entirety, so it works for me.

To the point made by [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION] I've just invested in a new Ruark CD player that will last the next 10 years and I'm continuing to hoover up CDs cheaply. If you want to download an album, it's cheaper to just buy and rip a CD.

And, I love Spotify and Soundcloud just for streaming and finding new artists. Then I'll invest in their albums.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree, i really dislike CD's, so called crystal cases that broke as soon as you looked at them, that horrible teeth jarring noise they made when they were damaged but most of all they remind me of when the labels charged us £13.99 for them - total rip-off.

On that, isn't it ironic that when CD's came in they were stupid expensive compared to vinyl and now it's the exact opposite.

I'm looking forward to when vinyl goes back out of fashion, and hipsters of the current years sell off their collections/they end up in charity shops.

Charity Shops are slim pickings for vinyl at the moment, mostly endless James Last albums, bizarre 60s compilations, classical music, spanish flamenco guitar albums, etc. If you're lucky you occasionally get a 70s classic (Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder).

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm looking forward to when vinyl goes back out of fashion, and hipsters of the current years sell off their collections/they end up in charity shops.

Charity Shops are slim pickings for vinyl at the moment, mostly endless James Last albums, bizarre 60s compilations, classical music, spanish flamenco guitar albums, etc. If you're lucky you occasionally get a 70s classic (Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder).

That’s true, although it’s also part of the fun.

I love finding a gem amongst all the crap. Looking through the “female vocalists” section amongst the rubbish by the likes of Helen Reddy, I recently found a rare album by France Gall - fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Re: Traveling, why would you not go towards Spotify or some streaming service in that instance? Every song in the world, in the palm of your hand.

It wasn’t about listening. What I meant was I was in Resident before Xmas, saw some items I wanted and bought them on CD because didn’t want to carry 12” vinyl across Europe and on planes, trains and automobiles.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003

I like the turn this thread has taken, The Seekers, Matt Monroe, The Dubliners, Organ music. Picked up a pristine original copy of Don't Shoot Me by EJ the other day for £3 so don't give up looking.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It wasn’t about listening. What I meant was I was in Resident before Xmas, saw some items I wanted and bought them on CD because didn’t want to carry 12” vinyl across Europe and on planes, trains and automobiles.

Ohhhhhhhh. Understood.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That’s true, although it’s also part of the fun.

I love finding a gem amongst all the crap. Looking through the “female vocalists” section amongst the rubbish by the likes of Helen Reddy, I recently found a rare album by France Gall - fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the turn this thread has taken, The Seekers, Matt Monroe, The Dubliners, Organ music. Picked up a pristine original copy of Don't Shoot Me by EJ the other day for £3 so don't give up looking.

You're both right. Whilst frustrating, it does make finding the odd gem - which the owners of said charity shop clearly aren't aware of the value of - all the more enjoyable.

My wife called me last time we were in Notts, as the local charity shop bizarrely had Discovery by Daft Punk for £2. I think I intentionally slightly overpaid, as I felt bad.

In amongst the dregs I also picked up "The Songs of Lennon & McCartney - Tijuana Style" for £1. Because it's genuinely funny.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I bought my first vinyl record about 3 months ago. I grew up on CDs and MP3s through the 90s and 00s and I've just used Spotify for the last 3 years or so. I listen to a fair bit of 80s music, so I thought it would be cool to get a record player and see what I can dig up in record stores and fairs. I went to a record fair a couple of months ago and managed to find a few reasonably priced albums to start my collection. I had a look in a couple of record stores last weekend but they had very slim pickings, apart from the odd very expensive collector's item.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
'Across The Tracks' in the North Laine is my favourite second-hand record shop - good selection and not too pricey.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Like some, I was able to keep most of my vinyl collection from my teenage years. As for Resident being lethal, so is Discogs! Still slowly cataloguing my collection on it (up to the P's), useful for when you're out and can't remember if you've got that one or not.

Also, I've been able to bring some old records back to life using the wood glue treatment. I bought an original 1969 copy of Clear by Spirit from Train of Thought, very crackly at first. One pass with the glue and almost back to mint quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Yep, been buy vinyl again for about three years now. Quite like the odd charity shop and boot fair trawl every now and again. Picked up a few gems. I've also got a record fair near me once a month, although unlikely to get a bargain here. Anything new I'll buy on vinyl these days. Luckily (or unluckily depending on your music tastes) my wife still has all her original 90s indie/Britpop albums and 12-inch on vinyl. Oasis, Suede, Radiohead, Wonderstuff, Levellers etc, and the rarity of some of these makes them quite valuable.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Like some, I was able to keep most of my vinyl collection from my teenage years. As for Resident being lethal, so is Discogs! Still slowly cataloguing my collection on it (up to the P's), useful for when you're out and can't remember if you've got that one or not.

Also, I've been able to bring some old records back to life using the wood glue treatment. I bought an original 1969 copy of Clear by Spirit from Train of Thought, very crackly at first. One pass with the glue and almost back to mint quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

That's amazing, trouble is I know if I tried it I'd f*ck it up.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
That's amazing, trouble is I know if I tried it I'd f*ck it up.

Lol, yes quite. I tried it first on a record I felt I could afford to lose if it went pear shaped, but a steady hand, plenty of kitchen roll/tissue to quickly mop up spills and an old credit card to smear the glue and it's a goodun. It really does work and I've cleaned loads of my collection now using this method.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

In terms of romanticism and aesthetics I'd agree that they can't compete with vinyl, but pre-recorded cassettes were even worse and they are already increasing in value now that people are looking back to the Walkmans of their youth. It may take a couple of decades, but there will be a market for CDs. In the meantime, they are doing a good job annoying my and Trufflehound's wives. As Norman Stanley Fletcher said: 'Little victories.'

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I have an AWB album that did the same. Can't listen to it on Apple Music without expecting a skip

I don't know about expecting a skip. If I had all of the Eagles albums, I'd be hiring a skip.

......Boom tsh... I'm here all week folks. (Ironically, I checked out, but can never leave).

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Lol, yes quite. I tried it first on a record I felt I could afford to lose if it went pear shaped, but a steady hand, plenty of kitchen roll/tissue to quickly mop up spills and an old credit card to smear the glue and it's a goodun. It really does work and I've cleaned loads of my collection now using this method.

OK, I'll try it with my Mamas and Papas record that I hate first.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I am lucky we have have a really good second hand record shop in Reading its been there for many years. The people who run it seem to do it for love, none of their records are over priced and normally in great condition. Going in there reminds me of when I spent many hours in The Wax Factor while I was at Brighton college

Is that the one in Harris arcade? I have no interest in records but seems like a nice shop whenever I've been past to get my hair cut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here