Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without wising to go over old ground too much, the remain campaign started off extremely positive, "stronger, safer, better off" etc. (still all true IMO), and kept this positive message throughout, but obviously introduced/resorted to negative campaigning.

The problem was when the leave campaign said we would be even more stronger, even more safer and even more better off, if we left (all untrue IMO). Then when remain said that's not true they got labelled as unpatriotic and that they didn't believe in their county.

At that point it was inevitable what would happen.

The problem started long before the campaigns for the Referendum with three newspapers printing unrelenting lies about immigration, day after day, and about the EU. The general public were being groomed.
Add in austerity, and the Tories pointing the finger at everything else bar themselves, and it produced a ripe climate for Brexit.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The problem started long before the campaigns for the Referendum with three newspapers printing unrelenting lies about immigration, day after day, and about the EU. The general public were being groomed.
Add in austerity, and the Tories pointing the finger at everything else bar themselves, and it produced a ripe climate for Brexit.

The word 'groomed' implies being manipulated by perverts. Surely that's inappropriate?:wink::wink:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The good thing about being a member of the EU is combining our collective power to solve pressing global issues ...

Central and Eastern European countries blocked a planned EU pledge to cut carbon emissions to a net zero by 2050 at a summit in Brussels on Thursday night.

Poland, Hungary, Estonia and the Czech Republic refused to support central summit conclusions that would have been a signal of intent from the bloc to meet the Paris climate agreement to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ountries-block-eu-2050-climate-change-target/

:facepalm:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The good thing about being a member of the EU is combining our collective power to solve pressing global issues ...

Central and Eastern European countries blocked a planned EU pledge to cut carbon emissions to a net zero by 2050 at a summit in Brussels on Thursday night.

Poland, Hungary, Estonia and the Czech Republic refused to support central summit conclusions that would have been a signal of intent from the bloc to meet the Paris climate agreement to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ountries-block-eu-2050-climate-change-target/

Fair point and difficult for those Remainers who are committed to cutting carbon emissions. Two thoughts though:

1. this won't actually stop individual member states from taking this action who want to;

2. are the recalcitrant nations more or less likely to change their ways when they come under further pressure from the EU than they would if they weren't members?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

.....Good point.
Best if we fight such intransigence from the inside where we have some weight and influence.
Oh, wait a minute.......

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Another good thing about being a member of the EU is that a country retains the sovereignty required to maintain a policy it thinks is right. Even if it's wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Fair point and difficult for those Remainers who are committed to cutting carbon emissions. Two thoughts though:

1. this won't actually stop individual member states from taking this action who want to;

2. are the recalcitrant nations more or less likely to change their ways when they come under further pressure from the EU than they would if they weren't members?

.....Good point.
Best if we fight such intransigence from the inside where we have some weight and influence.
Oh, wait a minute.......

Another good thing about being a member of the EU is that a country retains the sovereignty required to maintain a policy it thinks is right. Even if it's wrong.

Brexit 1 Remain in the EU 3.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So you weren't bothered in the slightest when we didn't leave when we were supposed to after all the arguing since the referendum and we went nowhere, did you just shrug your shoulders and make a nice cup of tea?

Yep, pretty much. Wasnt bothered. Knew full well, prior to it happening, that an extension to the negotiations to Leave was a possibility. Always known that the Tories know if they fail to deliver leaving the EU according to the democratic vote they cease to be a political party.Adhering to the democratic vote of the people is paramount, it supersedes everything, if the Tories renege on the promise to respect the outcome of the vote then f### them and f### any other politician from any party that aids that process.
Dont drink tea though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thank you. You must have been given many whilst at school. You seem to have a massive collection of them.

Unfortunately, I think that was only the start of a significant but ultimately unsuccessful and pointless lifelong investment by the state and taxpayer in Ppf :shrug:

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There is only one way this will get resolved perhaps...a general election. No 2nd ref, an election.

Sometimes vocabulary runs through my head, the alphabet runs right from A to Zed, conversations, hesitations in my mind, you got my conscience asking questions that I can't find......................................

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You would say that with your head burried in the sand, do you still think we're staying in the EU ???
Regards
DR

Have I ever said we are not leaving the EU? I expect us to.

Now, like Boris, you have a very vivid imagination

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sometimes vocabulary runs through my head, the alphabet runs right from A to Zed, conversations, hesitations in my mind, you got my conscience asking questions that I can't find......................................

Hmmm. I can't help what you can't find I am afraid. Sorry.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hmmm. I can't help what you can't find I am afraid. Sorry.

I try to say goodbye and I choke, try to walk away and I stumble, though I try to hide it, it's clear, my world crumbles when you are not here, goodbye and I choke....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here