Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Former pitch and putt courses.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Conflicting views on Hove seafront being open...

Is it still called the "Arnold Palmer"....?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Before the par 3, there were 2 decent pitch & putts.

What's the difference between a "par-3" and a "pitch & putt"?

I thought the objective of a pitch & putt was to get down in 3 [or less] - pitch from the tee, then, if on the green, 1 or 2 putts, or pitch close to the green followed by a pitch close to the pin and a tap to putt-in.

Surely a pitch & putt can neither be a par-2 nor a par-4 ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Saltdean Oval Park.

That was my "local" as a teenager in the 70's
After the course closed each day we used to play "mad-holes", often using just a 2-iron, to play from one end of the course to the other as a par-5.
Many a dog-walker experiencing a shout of "FORE!" on a balmy summers evening - happy days ....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
East Hill Hastings. Greens (not a lot of grass) were quicker than Augusta National. You could miss the hole by a fraction and end up 100ft away at the bottom of the hill. Used to love it though, great way to pass a couple of hours with mates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes me too, plus the boating lake nearby was fab :)

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Beech Hurst, Haywards Heath...

Ah, Beech Hurst, scene of teenage naughtiness like deliberately aiming the balls at bystanders, putting toy gun caps on the model railway line (great for making those on the model trains jump at the noise) and leaning over too far on the model trains.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Saltdean Oval Park.

The whole of the west-facing bank where the golf was, is now downland managed. In the spring, there are Cowslips galore and Orchids were introduced a couple of years ago. It is quite a good place now for downland butterflies.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
What's the difference between a "par-3" and a "pitch & putt"?

I thought the objective of a pitch & putt was to get down in 3 [or less] - pitch from the tee, then, if on the green, 1 or 2 putts, or pitch close to the green followed by a pitch close to the pin and a tap to putt-in.

Surely a pitch & putt can neither be a par-2 nor a par-4 ?

I'd suggest that a pitch & putt is much, much shorter, therefore only needing an 'easy' pitching wedge and putter, and is smaller children friendly, so great fun for a young family to get involved.

Whereas your 'par 3' is longer, with far trickier holes,and longer, needing a longer nine iron or longer eight iron even, on certain holes.

As you say though, to get down in 3 is the same par on each.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That was my "local" as a teenager in the 70's
After the course closed each day we used to play "mad-holes", often using just a 2-iron, to play from one end of the course to the other as a par-5.
Many a dog-walker experiencing a shout of "FORE!" on a balmy summers evening - happy days ....

Used to do the same in the early 90's. Except by then it was barely ever open so you could do it any time of day.

Also used to love riding my bmx down it, using the bunkers as jumps. Or sledding down it when it snowed.

Shame it's gone it just looks like wild grassland now, same as Rottingdean.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The whole of the west-facing bank where the golf was, is now downland managed. In the spring, there are Cowslips galore and Orchids were introduced a couple of years ago. It is quite a good place now for downland butterflies.

My house overlooks Saltdean Park, and I walk my dogs in there a couple of times each day. As you say, the East Bank is now allowed to grow wilder than the rest of the grass, but the old greens are still cut short.
It's a lovely, and well used, park, but the original plans for Saltdean allowed for that area to be developed as housing, with Saltdean Vale continuing through the middle to link up with the A259.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My house overlooks Saltdean Park, and I walk my dogs in there a couple of times each day. As you say, the East Bank is now allowed to grow wilder than the rest of the grass, but the old greens are still cut short.
It's a lovely, and well used, park, but the original plans for Saltdean allowed for that area to be developed as housing, with Saltdean Vale continuing through the middle to link up with the A259.

You're right about the old greens. They are mown short to provide areas to sit on. They are lovely little areas for sitting amongst the longer grass to enjoy a bit of nature around you. If you see some weirdo wandering around this area, dressed in green and camo, with a camera, chasing butterflies, come and say hello to me!

Jul 7, 2003
Many many many (say 50) years ago, there used to be a pitch and putt course at Field Place in Durrington. I doubt if it's still there.

Still there when I last visited Field Place

Indeed. Lying ********. And worse than losing the pitch and putt courses - I found out at the weekend that the train's gone! That's been there for over 50 years!

Worthing is really shit for young families now. When I was a boy, and when my children were growing up there used to be Peter Pan's playground and the big paddling pool in Worthing (both now lost to the new swimming pool). Plus there were putting greens, and then the train, boats, paddling pools, pitch 'n' putt and play equipment at Brooklands. All now gone. All that's left are the go-carts, but I wonder how long they'll last?

The area by the old Aquarena has a decent crazy golf course and also a sand court for beach volleyball or football. Trains are also still at Field Place and the pirate playground down near George V Avenue continues to be popular.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Still there when I last visited Field Place

The area by the old Aquarena has a decent crazy golf course and also a sand court for beach volleyball or football. Trains are also still at Field Place and the pirate playground down near George V Avenue continues to be popular.

Tried to go to that crazy golf course twice with mates when we went through a random crazy golf phase. Both times it wasn’t open. Ended up driving to Brighton & Hastings to get our fill in the end. Ive been past a few times since and I’ve got to say I think we ended up playing two much better courses

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Crazy golf opening up all over London for Corporate team bonding! Load of #### !

Pitch and Put, now that's proper golf !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This little beaut seems to still be here..

March 2019.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here