Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Because some people still regard Brexit as an event rather than a process, here is that process...

[TWEET]1103247248333438979[/TWEET]

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I struggle to understand the 'no market' excuse. I love lamb, my favourite meat but we rarely buy it because it's so so so expensive. There are thousands of the little blighters on the South Downs yet it is by far and away the most expensive meat. Lower the price and create a market.

Well that's extremely simplistic.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What do you mean "a chance"? We knew Brexit was happening three years ago. If I were running a business that I knew was going to disappear in three years, I'd have been looking to reduce existing stock and diversify into something else. It's not something that's happened out of the blue

So the government should have told all lamb farmers that they should sell their land then. They should have been honest. No?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What do you mean "a chance"? We knew Brexit was happening three years ago. If I were running a business that I knew was going to disappear in three years, I'd have been looking to reduce existing stock and diversify into something else. It's not something that's happened out of the blue

Nobody knew what the details would be three years ago. We still don't know in full. Running a farm isn't an easy thing to just shut down either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Maybe the farmer trusted the Tories (yes, I know) to actually sort out deal before 29th March. After all, they've been telling us how easy it would be and we held all the cards!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe the farmer trusted the Tories (yes, I know) to actually sort out deal before 29th March. After all, they've been telling us how easy it would be and we held all the cards!

And indeed Vote Leave explicitly said we wouldn't begin the process of leaving until there was an agreed deal on the table.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't forget "Everybody wants to deal with us-'Easiest Trade Deals Ever'.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

:facepalm:

You're normally a very good poster, but not for the first time lately your version and recall of events 3 years ago and was actually going on and known then are completely different to the reality. This time 3 years ago that farmer did not know his business would disappear at the end of this month in no deal Brexit flames.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Liam Fox has cancelled meetings with businesses because of 'leaks'. Businesses haven't got a clue what the Dept of International Trade are doing.

Another business official said the solution to the government’s concern about media leaks should be “to publish as much as information as they can from the start and then they wouldn’t have to worry”.

https://www.ft.com/content/25b1eb3e-3e85-11e9-9bee-efab61506f44

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Its expensive presumably because it is expensive to rear, unless for some reason lamb is sold at a higher profit margin than other meat?

The Times article also says:

It also reveals this beauty:

Great. I'm sure that the farmer will be able to reduce his costs accordingly.

Geninue question - New Zealand lamb is the same cost as British lamb on the supermarket shelves. Yet the New Zealand farmers have had to ship their lamb half way around the world and still clearly make a profit. So what are British lamb farmers doing that so increases their costs that New Zealand farmers don't do ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
:facepalm: This time 3 years ago that farmer did not know his business would disappear at the end of this month in no deal Brexit flames.

But it won't will it ? Well according to [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] it won't.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Geninue question - New Zealand lamb is the same cost as British lamb on the supermarket shelves. Yet the New Zealand farmers have had to ship their lamb half way around the world and still clearly make a profit. So what are British lamb farmers doing that so increases their costs that New Zealand farmers don't do ?

Economies of scale in NZ - it's a huge business.

Weather and climate would be another factor in helping their costs. One issue with the cost on sheep farming here in that regard I do know from personal experience that impacts on a far greater industry than here in the South Downs - We've got lifelong family friends in South Wales who used to farm and still live on one in Gwent. Throughout their time of running it during the winter months hill farmers would bring their livestock down and they would graze on their land during the worst of the winter at low land level outside Cwmbran - and pay a very nice premium to them for the privilege of doing so. Unless they're going to diversify into goats, there's not a lot that can be done up the top of those valleys farm wise other than sheep, hence it's a far bigger business in places like that in Wales and their primary market is export and they have costs to pay.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not sure we should be using Supermarkets as some kind of compass on these things.... given how they screw over UK farmers and some pretty shady business practices involved

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:facepalm:

You're normally a very good poster, but not for the first time lately your version and recall of events 3 years ago and was actually going on and known then are completely different to the reality. This time 3 years ago that farmer did not know his business would disappear at the end of this month in no deal Brexit flames.

If that's the case many farmers wouldn't have voted for Brexit, in the first place.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Tories need to start being a bit more ****ing honest with everyone. Corbyn has to turn the screw today, though there's about fifty angles from which you could attack this shambles of a government at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here