Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion vs Burnley MATCH REPORT

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
I’ve written up the match report for the game yesterday, for all those who want to relive the frustration and disappointment:

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?775-Brighton-vs-Burnley-Match-Report-09-02-19

“Albion made an encouraging start to proceedings, forcing Heaton into a few early saves. A super cross from Bong onto the head of March, his header was tipped over, before Gross sent a powerful volley towards the top left-hand corner-denied again by a flying save from the Clarets’ keeper. This was starting to look awfully familiar. FFS Albion put one away.”

Hope you enjoy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
About to read the report but struggling with this assertion that Gross sent a shot towards the top corner? There wasn't one effort that was heading towards either of the top corners. Gross's shot that Heaton saved diving to his right was about a 3ft off the ground, that's about 5ft away from the top corner!!

Edit. Still a good read although Duffy deflected the ball onto the bar, not the post!!

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I disagree that Ryan brought down Barnes. Barnes tripped over Ryan once he'd got the ball.
Also the rules say there is no double jeopardy when a penalty is given, except for a deliberate handball, so therefore a yellow was the 'right decision', whether or not Wood shot wide.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
I disagree that Ryan brought down Barnes. Barnes tripped over Ryan once he'd got the ball.
Also the rules say there is no double jeopardy when a penalty is given, except for a deliberate handball, so therefore a yellow was the 'right decision', whether or not Wood shot wide.

It is still a red card when the foul committed is seen to be deliberate/cynical:
“However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead. But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.”

My interpretation of the event was Ryan’s challenge may have been put into the deliberate category as Barnes was essentially past him, and Ryan knocked him off balance (however probably accidental). Thus I suspected the subsequent miss may have influenced the decision, but you could definitely argue it both ways.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is still a red card when the foul committed is seen to be deliberate/cynical:
“However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead. But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.”

My interpretation of the event was Ryan’s challenge may have been put into the deliberate category as Barnes was essentially past him, and Ryan knocked him off balance (however probably accidental). Thus I suspected the subsequent miss may have influenced the decision, but you could definitely argue it both ways.

Watch it again. Ryan was already on the ground flat out when Barnes fell over him.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
About to read the report but struggling with this assertion that Gross sent a shot towards the top corner? There wasn't one effort that was heading towards either of the top corners. Gross's shot that Heaton saved diving to his right was about a 3ft off the ground, that's about 5ft away from the top corner!!

Edit. Still a good read although Duffy deflected the ball onto the bar, not the post!!

Just watched the highlights, correct on both counts, my apologies. I had the impression Groß’s shot was rising (it wasn’t), and Duffy’s deflection looked as if it had come off the top of the left post on first viewing. Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated. Maybe I need to get a better seat!

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Watch it again. Ryan was already on the ground flat out when Barnes fell over him.

I have rewatched, and still think his motion to bring Barnes over could easily be construed as deliberate. Taking into account the play scenario, Burnley were clean through (extremely clear goal scoring opportunity), it would appear Ryan had no choice but to bring him down. I understand the point you’re making, but I do believe there is a reasonably strong argument for Ryan to have received a red. Very glad he didn’t though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here