Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's style?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I can’t believe the first team have played so few friendlies , we have had a practise match in Austria , one against Fulham , where we have played separate teams in each halves .
Other teams are playing higher class opponents, and having more matches to get match fit and getting the team organised,
We did exactly the same thing last season and put in an awful performance against Watford, were we looked like a bunch of strangers and unfit , can see the same thing happening again this season ,
He does not even know his first team yet , and we have 2 matches before the season starts , one against a Championship team and a friendly against a team from Valencia ,
Fail to prepare then prepare to fail ,

Agree with this. 4 friendlies for the first team does not seem enough.

However, Watford only have 4 too.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I was going back to those first few games and a collective WTF rising out the stands as everyone looked around them to see if everyone else was completely perplexed by our tactics. I don't even remember loads of attacking. I remember a lot of no player looking like they really knew what we were trying to do.

I really don't mind if Potter starts a bit more defensive than people think, or a bit more attacking, just please send the players out there looking like they know what they should be doing.

I don't remember Hyypia being attacking either. I remember a lot of full back overlap, but never seem to recall crosses being whipped in. Your last point is spot on, a sense of understanding their roles and objectives per match would be grand.

Stumpy Tim

I don't remember Hyypia being attacking either. I remember a lot of full back overlap, but never seem to recall crosses being whipped in. Your last point is spot on, a sense of understanding their roles and objectives per match would be grand.

I remember under Hyypia we had the full-backs pushed further forward than the striker at goal-kicks. He really was useless :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Wasn't funny at the time

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The main tactical difference I've observed, is the goal kick routine. Keeper knocks it, a yard to the right and the defenders look to play out.

And it left me musing ...

.... Exactly how many goals are we likely to concede this season, FANNYING about in this manner. You know. Ryan, passes to Duffy, to Montoya. Montoya looks up and sees that the midfield is being SWARMED all over, by opponents who have done the tiny amount of homework necessary. Montoya know's he's no longer allowed to hoof it down the channel, so he looks for Stephens infield. Dale reacts a moment too slowly and is caught on the ball. A simple pass later and the ball is side footed past Ryan. The North Stand groan. Not again!!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Couple of games light, couple of squad places light, at least a couple of first team signings light...

Seems to be the running theme.

... some of our transfer activity seems a little logic light ....

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The main tactical difference I've observed, is the goal kick routine. Keeper knocks it, a yard to the right and the defenders look to play out.

.... Exactly how many goals are we likely to concede this season, FANNYING about in this manner. You know. Ryan, passes to Duffy, to Montoya. Montoya looks up and sees that the midfield is being SWARMED all over, by opponents who have done the tiny amount of homework necessary. Montoya know's he's no longer allowed to hoof it down the channel, so he looks for Stephens infield. Dale reacts a moment too slowly and is caught on the ball. A simple pass later and the ball is side footed past Ryan. The North Stand groan. Not again!!

Then you will have noticed that Fulham did exactly the same. As did many teams at the Amex last season with the caveat that they had to be outside the area pre the rule change. No idea what it is all about other than not hoofing it to a small striker but hardly a new tactic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I remember under Hyypia we had the full-backs pushed further forward than the striker at goal-kicks. He really was useless :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Wasn't funny at the time

But the really weird thing was, they always dropped back in and rarely overlapped! It was bizarre. It may not have been his fault, but because he was in front of me, I grew an almost irrational dislike of Joe Bennett that is still with me to this day. The safest playing by numbers performances I've ever seen.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I think we will concede a few due to this (Duffy may well be the one caught out), but there will be an awful lot of variation. The long ball has been a feature of the friendlies I've seen.
I'm actually looking forward to it, as I really turned against the predictability of the goal kick routine under Hughton. And the throw-in routine. And the kick-off routine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon Potterstyle can't be judged until we've played the first tranche of PL games, several of which are winnable if we intend to stay in this division. Should have a reasonable indication of Potterstyle by the end of September.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Reckon Potterstyle can't be judged until we've played the first tranche of PL games, several of which are winnable if we intend to stay in this division. Should have a reasonable indication of Potterstyle by the end of September.

Hurrah... someone talking sense!

We know Jack Shit about Potter and BHAFC as a 'combo' until we start playing games in the Premier League.

It'll either be a car crash, or a finely tuned V8. Personally I think we'll see both, but at least it'll be interesting - and that's me pontificating, so I'm just as bad as everyone else... punish:

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Hurrah... someone talking sense!

We know Jack Shit about Potter and BHAFC as a 'combo' until we start playing games in the Premier League.

It'll either be a car crash, or a finely tuned V8. Personally I think we'll see both, but at least it'll be interesting - and that's me pontificating, so I'm just as bad as everyone else... punish:

Pontificating, maybe, but I think that's a fair assessment.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I expect it will take until Xmas for the players to have a consistent understanding of exactly how Potter wants us to play. Expecting a bumpy ride in the early stages with maybe a few Duffy-esque misplaced backpasses as we try and play the ball around deep. However in and amongst that I think we will see some green shoots of progress towards a more attacking philosophy.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Out of our opening 6 fixtures, only Man City finidhed in the top 9 last season.

Our first 3 home fixtures, West Ham, Southampton and Burnley are all winnable.

And Newcastle and Watford away are not the worst opponents for Potter to face early doors.

9 points from these 6 fixtures looks to be about par, so let's see how he fares.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here