Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Gardeners' World This Evening, BBC 2. Different to Usual.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the muckier side of gardening if anyone wants well rotted, (4 year old), horse manure then we have tons, (literally), of the stuff. We use very little straw so it is really fine and has no smell.

Anyone fancying a trip to the Gatwick area to collect then send me a pm and I’ll let you have directions.

View attachment 113053
View attachment 113054

Gardeners black gold.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just shown your photos to the boss and no mere thumbs up from her.
Exquisite was the word she used.

Cheers, it's been hard work.
One military type pick axe and a lot of sweat, battling tree roots, plastic bags, glass and old bits of metal that are remnants from the 60s.
The back half of the plot was just trees, so the majority have gone, leaving ground to utilise for plants, not good enough or veg type stuff.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers, it's been hard work.
One military type pick axe and a lot of sweat, battling tree roots, plastic bags, glass and old bits of metal that are remnants from the 60s.
The back half of the plot was just trees, so the majority have gone, leaving ground to utilise for plants, not good enough or veg type stuff.

IMG-20190720-WA0001.jpg

In the rain yesterday.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That looks cracking. Another Echium fan?

Yes and it's great seeing the bees all over them. Dr Zeus. They self seeded from this one two years ago. We then missed the sequence for the triennials so none last year and this year. The ones in picture above will be flowering next year, if they survive the winter.
echium.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yes and it's great seeing the bees all over them. Dr Zeus. They self seeded from this one two years ago. We then missed the sequence for the triennials so none last year and this year. The ones in picture above will be flowering next year, if they survive the winter.
View attachment 113182

That is an absolute stonker! The two I had in my garden blew over in the last high winds, so I'm hoping that there might be some seeds still lying doggo in the soil. However, there are loads about three feet high getting ready for next year.
When I worked for the Council, the Weald allotments were considered the "flag-ship" allotment site. Mr. Cooper used to rave how well run and how well maintained they were.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That is an absolute stonker! The two I had in my garden blew over in the last high winds, so I'm hoping that there might be some seeds still lying doggo in the soil. However, there are loads about three feet high getting ready for next year.
When I worked for the Council, the Weald allotments were considered the "flag-ship" allotment site. Mr. Cooper used to rave how well run and how well maintained they were.

We knew the Mr Cooper and Henry Christie team. Never trusted them and thought, probably by mistake, that they were making plans to sell off chunks to developers. Think he got a job in Bristol and we no longer had to cut trees down if over 6 foot.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
We knew the Mr Cooper and Henry Christie team. Never trusted them and thought, probably by mistake, that they were making plans to sell off chunks to developers. Think he got a job in Bristol and we no longer had to cut trees down if over 6 foot.

I didn't have too much contact with Henry, but I did with Mr. Cooper. Decisions to sell Council land off is made by people way above their levels. Mr. Cooper's job was just to manage the renting and condition of the allotments which he always did in a very professional manner. He is a very nice bloke with a very difficult job!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My photinia got pruned to within an inch of its life last year, to accommodate the christmas lights. Bushing up nicely again with a bit of colour.
I actually hack it back every other year normally.....but missed a year

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

How are you getting on with watering your plot.
We're going to have a minor heatwave this week, with temps up to 34.
We're not allowed hosepipes on plot, only from water trough, going up early at 6am tomorrow to water, deep joy???

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How are you getting on with watering your plot.
We're going to have a minor heatwave this week, with temps up to 34.
We're not allowed hosepipes on plot, only from water trough, going up early at 6am tomorrow to water, deep joy???

Only the greenhouse to worry about after weekends torrential rain. Have 3 water butts on allotment collecting rain water and have the shared tap with water tank for 20 allotments on the edge of our allotment. Plus have a hose, so no problem.

Very early here for potatoes. Charlottes and roosters big and ready to dig out to keep the slugs out. On the other hand the beef steak tomatoes are 2-3 weeks behind but should get the first ripe ones this weekend.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Only the greenhouse to worry about after weekends torrential rain. Have 3 water butts on allotment collecting rain water and have the shared tap with water tank for 20 allotments on the edge of our allotment. Plus have a hose, so no problem.

Very early here for potatoes. Charlottes and roosters big and ready to dig out to keep the slugs out. On the other hand the beef steak tomatoes are 2-3 weeks behind but should get the first ripe ones this weekend.

Blimey, we've just dug up Casablanca and Int' Kidney, both first earlies.
Have picked all our black, red and white currants :eek: now in freezer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here