Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Sheff United have agreed a fee for Bournemouth's Lys Mousset. No idea why they'd want him, but that's besides the point. Looks like it could just be us and villa in the race now

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Sheff United have agreed a fee for Bournemouth's Lys Mousset. No idea why they'd want him, but that's besides the point. Looks like it could just be us and villa in the race now

I can never hear his name without thinking of the BBC journalist Lyse Doucet...

p065xyt0.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyse_Doucet

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
From: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/17774484.albion-no-contact-leicester-lewis-dunk/

Albion are keeping tabs on Brentford's Neal Maupay, The Argus understands.

Aston Villa and Sheffield United are heading the queue to sign the 22-year-old French striker, who scored 25 goals in the Championship last season.

That article also seems to give a very clear indication that Potter, supported by Ashworth, IS KEEN TO DEVELOP AND BRING THROUGH SOME OF THE YOUNGER TALENT WE HAVE AT THE CLUB!

This could be exciting. It may all go horribly wrong, BUT he has shown he can do it elsewhere! As Bette Davis once said: "fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night!".

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Playing with a targetman. We've played that way for so long, that it's difficult to remember it's quite possible to have an effective attacking strategy that doesn't rely on one. I reckon if you did a straw poll of premier league centre backs and asked, would they rather play against a hold the ball up / win a header at the back post striker or mobile, pacey striker, who pressed aggressively and made runs in behind, they'd say the first

I know Potter normally only plays one up top, and we would definitely lack height, but Andone and Maupay would be a real handful for a lot of defences, really impressed with Maupays movement and ability to be in the right place for rebounds etc.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Basically a goal poacher, Johnny on the spot kind of striker going by that video. Right place at the right time. Like it...

He looks immense in that video, it’s just 20 odd smart finishes from close range. EXACTLY what we need. Get him in.

We’ve missed too many easy chances over the past 2 years so this is welcome. I’m loving his twatting finishes.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
What is the cause of the "bad blood" between Tony Bloom and the Brentford chairman? I often hear it mentioned but no idea what the cause was.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He looks immense in that video, it’s just 20 odd smart finishes from close range. EXACTLY what we need. Get him in.

The finishing is extremely impressive, particularly from someone of that age. But we'd need strikers that can make their own opportunities at this level, and there's not too much evidence of that in his goals last season. Also factor in the dodgy keeping -- the times he's latching on to goalkeeping spills are numerous. This does demonstrate his alertness, no bad thing, but it's not something that PL goalkeepers do with any great regularity.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What is the cause of the "bad blood" between Tony Bloom and the Brentford chairman? I often hear it mentioned but no idea what the cause was.

One made a biscuit-based caramel covered in chocolate whilst the other one made a caramel-topped biscuit dipped in chocolate.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Benham worked for Bloom and left under a cloud.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Playing with a targetman. We've played that way for so long, that it's difficult to remember it's quite possible to have an effective attacking strategy that doesn't rely on one. I reckon if you did a straw poll of premier league centre backs and asked, would they rather play against a hold the ball up / win a header at the back post striker or mobile, pacey striker, who pressed aggressively and made runs in behind, they'd say the first
Absolutely. As great as Murray, Leo etc have been for us during the Amex era, you'd hope at some point we'll evolve beyond the need for a 6 ft 2+ hold-up man. Perhaps Potter will be the man to introduce the tactical flexibility that'll enable us to have some sort of attacking threat without one on the pitch. As you say, it's damn hard to remember the last time we didn't look like an incredibly blunt blade without some sort of target man up front.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Want this one to go through... would be a great statement that we are (finally) addressing the 'Muzza is ageing (but brilliant)' issue...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But if we're going to play a more mobile centre forward, we already have Andone and Locadia. I agree that Maupay looks a very handy finisher, but you can make the same argument for Locadia. Give him those chances in the box and he takes them. I don't strongly rate him outside the box, but inside the box, the man is a finisher.

Andone can do it all, he's a proper centre forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here