Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Philip Hammond has just stated that 2nd ref is a “perfectly coherent position” that “deserves consideration”. With May potentially on the way out, we just might be seeing a change of plan. A change of direction.

Well he would say that wouldn`t he .

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Why didn't May offer up these options two years ago, or at least not this fukken late? Is the plan to ask for another couple of years to try and sort whichever might get better parliamentary indicative support (if 4 to 6)? You can see some reasonable resistance by the 27 to a 'please can we start again'?

Does anyone on here support TM's deal? I'm struggling with it, not least because of the widespread criticism of it. At best the case for it is 'well, it is a brexit but it puts us in a worse position that the current situation'. How can that be a satisfactory solution in the economic sense.

As for offering to support TM and her deal with the condition she puts her papers in afterwards. That is ****ish.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why didn't May offer up these options two years ago, or at least not this fukken late? Is the plan to ask for another couple of years to try and sort whichever might get better parliamentary indicative support (if 4 to 6)? You can see some reasonable resistance by the 27 to a 'please can we start again'?

Does anyone on here support TM's deal? I'm struggling with it, not least because of the widespread criticism of it. At best the case for it is 'well, it is a brexit but it puts us in a worse position that the current situation'. How can that be a satisfactory solution in the economic sense.

As for offering to support TM and her deal with the condition she puts her papers in afterwards. That is ****ish.

You'd have thought that with two and a half years to play with, the first six months could have been spent building a consensus in parliament and THEN trying to push that consensus through the EU. Still, easy enough with hindsight eh?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Philip Hammond has just stated that 2nd ref is a “perfectly coherent position” that “deserves consideration”. With May potentially on the way out, we just might be seeing a change of plan. A change of direction.

She has been on borrowed time since the General Election, she's going one way or another in the next 6 weeks I would reckon.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Opposition remainers did, but would always be expected to. The key government MPs who didn't support her plan included the DUP and those bastions of Brexit, the ERG :shrug:

Brexit can`t happen if most of Parliment is remain ,even though they agreed to implement the result of the referendum so it seems.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
What needs to happen in Parliament this week to prevent the UK leaving the EU at 11pm this Friday?Does Parliament have to pass the extension of article 50?Or does May have absolute authority to do off Her own back?

By legal default, on our way.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Indeed .... that's me banned !

I hope not ..... the rest of us enjoy laughing at you too much!

Still, you are showing some signs of improvement - you managed to post something (albeit short and not very interesting) without whining over the term 'retard'.

That's progress!

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What needs to happen in Parliament this week to prevent the UK leaving the EU at 11pm this Friday?Does Parliament have to pass the extension of article 50?Or does May have absolute authority to do off Her own back?

You realise you are the only person in the country who thinks we are leaving this Friday, right?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well he would say that wouldn`t he .

Well not for two years he hasn’t. He is a cabinet member with a fair bit of clout. Conversations are being had behind closed doors that lead to statements like this.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Nothing, a minister will amend the date on the Withdrawal Act and either state a new date or state that the exit date is yet to be determined.

Edit. Although the date can be amended by Statutory Instrument, in this case it may be one of those statutory instruments that both houses need to approve, but they will if they are asked to, so don't worry.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Having finished the news section of The Sunday Times today, it does appear Phillip May has a lot to answer for. He's urging his wife to fight on apparently. A comparison is given with Margaret Thatcher - "at this stage in proceedings Denis Thatcher was saying, ‘Time’s up, old girl, time to call it a day.' "

Phillip May has always been one of those people to me that you take an instant dislike to, just from looking at him. I always assumed he's a right git, a bit like Tim Henman's Dad.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I realise that remainers need to use abuse and vile language to try to prove what brave keyboard warriors they are,but perhaps using mental health terms exceeds farmyard and playground abuse,and needs to stop.This explains it quite well:

abusive.png

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As the withdrawal act is enshrined in law does the law need to be changed!

The A50 extension is international law though and it takes precedence over domestic ones, even if a statutory instrument to amend the date didn't take place or wasn't agreed.

By international legal treaty default, not on our way.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What needs to happen in Parliament this week to prevent the UK leaving the EU at 11pm this Friday?

They need a legally binding assurance from yourself that you at cancelling your Brexit party on Friday night. Oh, and that’ll be the easy bit for you; telling PPF it’s not happening will be a lot tougher. I’ve even heard that he has got hold of a 6ltr mini Bud Light keg for the occasion, dilly dilly.

Not leaving on Friday ............

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I realise that remainers need to use abuse and vile language to try to prove what brave keyboard warriors they are,but perhaps using mental health terms exceeds farmyard and playground abuse,and needs to stop.This explains it quite well:

View attachment 106465

Oops relapse.
Is that you in disguise, Westdene Seagull?

Merriam-Webster definition
retard noun
re·​tard
Definition of retard (Entry 2 of 2)
1 \ ri-​ˈtärd \ : a holding back or slowing down : RETARDATION
2 \ ˈrē-​ˌtärd \ offensive : a person affected with mental retardation
3 \ ˈrē-​ˌtärd \ informal usually offensive: a foolish or stupid person

So it depends how you interpret it; those with a predisposition to speak and think the worst will naturally go for definition 2 - that's the way they are.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The A50 extension is international law though and it takes precedence over domestic ones, even if a statutory instrument to amend the date didn't take place or wasn't agreed.

By international legal treaty default, not on our way.

I get that the EU has agreed to extend A50 on the condition that MV3 or even MV4 takes place,if, as is being speculated no MVs take place then surely the extension would be void,does an MP need to table an amendment to extend or does UK law have to change the date?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here