Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I like this comment from the BBS.

Forget the home wins thing we hardly had a striker all season. Irrelevant. We calmly got back in this game, bossed them and they will never get a luckier win with those 2 worldies. Sometimes it's just football.

Can some one remind me of our 2nd and 3rd goal in the reverse fixture in December? Granted they were not 'worldies', but were bloody great goals*.

Oh, and I can't say they bossed us, we let them have the ball when there was no danger.

*With 9 men for the 2nd, then 10 men for the 3rd.

And all in the first half [emoji3]

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I like this comment from the BBS.

Can some one remind me of our 2nd and 3rd goal in the reverse fixture in December? Granted they were not 'worldies', but were bloody great goals*.

Oh, and I can't say they bossed us, we let them have the ball when there was no danger.

*With 9 men for the 2nd, then 10 men for the 3rd.

And all in the first half [emoji3]

I watched the game having recorded it, and after seeing Roy Hodgson's comments around "We controlled the game". I found myself wondering how he worked that out, and thinking that having most possession does not mean you are in control.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I watched the game having recorded it, and after seeing Roy Hodgson's comments around "We controlled the game". I found myself wondering how he worked that out, and thinking that having most possession does not mean you are in control.

Baffling really.

I thought the opposite to Roy as well. How many blocks by Dunk and co. How many saves did Ryan actually make? We nullified them in the final third and to me, that's where it matters.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Baffling really.

I thought the opposite to Roy as well. How many blocks by Dunk and co. How many saves did Ryan actually make? We nullified them in the final third and to me, that's where it matters.

We defended. We're good at it. Get over it, Roy.

We got two quality goals which showed up the shortcomings in your defence. Get over it, Roy.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
You did defend well Trigger, I will give you that.

Since the start of last season, Palace have been awarded 19 penalties in the Premier League - that is 6 more than any other side. For a lower-midtable junk team like them, that is an astonishing stat.

Its their primary, number 1 tactic as soon as they get in the box. They are cheating filthy weasels, and if there's any justice in the game, they'll take that 18th spot in May and the division will finally be shot of them and their weekly diving antics. They would not be missed.

We have a few fast and tricky players that teams keep fouling in the box, Maybe teams should try and stand them up rather than offer the leg or dive in.
Yet to see a really soft pen given to us this season, Silly full backs need to learn Wilf and co are too quick for them in the box.

Would your style of play be missed by neutrals in this league?.... Nope..not for a minute.

Is it just me that thinks Gross didn't play, and it was Propper's leg?

Yeah, that's the one. :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I really can’t remember Palace having a clear cut chance
They had a couple of chances but Dunk got in the way. I doubt Ryan had to wash his kit after the game, he was virtually a spectator.

The game was played to our tune, we quietened their “famous” atmosphere and danced on their pitch at the final whistle.

:lolol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Over the two games, Palace couldn't score a goal from open play.

But we knew that would happen. Palace don't try to score from open play, their entire gameplan is based on trying to win penalties.

Contrast Knockaert running at Van Arnholt to create a chance to jink inside and unleash a shot, vs Townsend running at Propper in order to push the ball away and then fall over with the aim of getting some contact on the way down. That's the Palace way.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
“ 11 men went and scored,
Scored against the Palace,
11 men and the boss Chris,
Scores against the Palace.

10 men went and scored,
10 men and the boss Chris,
Scored against the Palace.

9 men went and scored,
9 men and the boss , Chris,
Scored against the Palace.

:rave::rock:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They knew...

palace.gif

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
We’re still buzzing aren’t we!

:lolol:

Absobloodylutely

And why not? Its not every season you get a win against your rivals, so to do the double.....

Well put it this way, i doubt there are any Palace that have ever seen their team do the double over us, afterall WW2 and putting a man on the moon are more recent than the last Palace double over us.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This clip will be circulating around training grounds as we speak. The perfect way to 'draw the foul', or how to con the ref into getting a penalty. Love the way he drags his right leg when he sees Gross's leg go out and is preparing to leap as soon as he can feel the hairs on Gross's leg. He actually leaps 4 foot with no momentum other than his own. Perfect ****.

It is, literally, a dive.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Re penalties, my view is:

1. Other than the 'penalty' Palace were awarded there was also the cringeworthy dive by Tomkins in the dying seconds of the 1at half, where he lobbed himself at Knockaert. Horrible.

2. Bissouma could easily have gone down late in the 2nd half when in the box when shoved, but stayed on his feet.

3. It's soooo obvious that the Palace strategy is to get into the box and run around until they can 'draw' the foul. The fact that Zaha has been more productive lately is that he's stopped looking for the penalty and is trying to shoot at goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here