Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Booing at Half Time

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In a crowd of 30k(Official Attendance) you are bound to get a few ignorant people.
I have some of the "Get it Forward!!" brigade near me.

I was under the impression the whole point of a game of football was to try and score more than the oppo , so getting it forward is a major step towards that process .

Anyway , I didn’t boo , but if I want to one day I will , so **** off if you don’t like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Completely agree with this post :thumbsup:

To expect our fans not to react with some negativity to our recent form at all is quite frankly naive, theyre not stupid and know the team is trying it's best to be positive but sometimes the players might just need a reality check themselves as yesterdays first half was not even close to top half Championship standards.

This. The first half wasn't a great advert for Championship football.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Booing Mike Dean ,Pritchard the ginger short-arsed tosser and Huddersfield generally for their time wasting I think is far, far more likely. Don't you?

No, and if those that were booing were doing so for one of those reasons, how would anyone else in the ground know who they were directing their boos at.

We've had it in the past where some fans boo the ref as they start to go off and the players heading into the tunnel at the time think it's aimed at them and the rest of the team (and made comments in the press about it)

If someone is going to boo like that, make it clear who it's aimed at (ie the referee's a ******) so that the players don't think it's aimed at them when it's not

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, and if those that were booing were doing so for one of those reasons, how would anyone else in the ground know who they were directing their boos at.

We've had it in the past where some fans boo the ref as they start to go off and the players heading into the tunnel at the time think it's aimed at them and the rest of the team (and made comments in the press about it)

If someone is going to boo like that, make it clear who it's aimed at (ie the referee's a ******) so that the players don't think it's aimed at them when it's not

Patently much of it - elsewhere in the stadium apart from the vicinity of the players tunnel - was aimed at the first half performance. It wasn't right, but no point in trying to gloss over it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair, without condoning, we were pretty bloody awful in the first half. Frustration boils over in different ways, and as previously posted, there is a hell of a lot of tolerance from our supporters out there.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Two months without a league win taking us to within 3 points of the relegation zone, playing like relegation candidates against a team most would expect us to outplay (like we did in the second half) no, I'm not so sure it is 'far, far more likely' that fans were booing a referee who at that point hadn't really done anything controversial, or booing a team at half time for time wasting (something I've never seen before), or booing a player who we had previously only booed when he had the ball.

To be completely honest, my view of our fans is that we've been incredibly tolerant of terrible form. How often does a team go two months without a league win without the atmosphere turning really bad? Yet I've not noticed such toxicity from us. Even the half-time booing yesterday was mild given that two months and the shocking performance first half.

In this league, teams can go long periods without wins (depending on how their fixtures fall) and it's more common that some realise.

This isn't the Championship, it's a far tougher league, and we are no longer a top team in our current league (like when we were in the Championship) so of course results will be much harder to get and harder to play the exciting, attractive football some people seemingly think we should be playing.

This is like when we made the championship whilst at the Withdean. Our ambition was to stay there, and we knew it would be difficult to achieve, this is similar in that it is difficult to achieve survival in this league yet some seem to think we should be better than teams that have had a lot longer, and invested far more than we have so are ore equipped to stay in the league than we are.

The longer we stay, the more we can evolve the side and slowly become the sort of side that the moaners want but it will be a long, slow process and those trying to destroy confidence and demotivate our team now by booing, moaning, abusing players who are giving their all, etc is extremely counter productive and more likely to lead to failure, making relegation more likely (this negativity tends to come from the over-entitled, who fail to grasp the bigger picture and watch the whole pitch and what positions other players are in (including opposition players) and fail to see that, for example, there is no forward pass on so the only option is sideways or backwards yet see that as poor play rather than just aimlessly hoofing the ball forward and giving possession away (for which they'd get abuse for too) because they are impatient, and clueless about the game and tactics and clueless about sports psychology.

They are idiots and do little or nothing to help the side. Teams and players need confidence, and the more confident they are, the better they tend to play and are more likely to play a riskier pass that may not work, but may concede possession. If they know they will get targeted by their own support for trying, why would they? Booing and scapegoating do no favours

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The first half was very very poor. You’ve paid your money for a ticket you are entitled to an opinion and if you would like to boo or clap - go ahead.

Luckily the penny dropped at half time and Chris put a rocket up them and then played his subs perfectly.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Booing Mike Dean ,Pritchard the ginger short-arsed tosser and Huddersfield generally for their time wasting I think is far, far more likely. Don't you?

I read in a match report today that "Brighton were booed off at half time". I immediately thought "No they weren't", and then thought that any booing was towards Huddesrfield, time-wasting, seeming to feign injury deliberately to break up play, just generally cheating, They deserve to go down.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I read in a match report today that "Brighton were booed off at half time". I immediately thought "No they weren't", and then thought that any booing was towards Huddesrfield, time-wasting, seeming to feign injury deliberately to break up play, just generally cheating, They deserve to go down.

Seems to me we need to man up a bit and try some of these tactics ourselves?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Two months without a league win taking us to within 3 points of the relegation zone, playing like relegation candidates against a team most would expect us to outplay (like we did in the second half) no, I'm not so sure it is 'far, far more likely' that fans were booing a referee who at that point hadn't really done anything controversial, or booing a team at half time for time wasting (something I've never seen before), or booing a player who we had previously only booed when he had the ball.

To be completely honest, my view of our fans is that we've been incredibly tolerant of terrible form. How often does a team go two months without a league win without the atmosphere turning really bad? Yet I've not noticed such toxicity from us. Even the half-time booing yesterday was mild given that two months and the shocking performance first half.

My wife, who is a Southampton STH but was with me yesterday in WSU, said to me afterwards that our fans are much more passionate than theirs!!! :albion2:

My own feeling of relief when Andone's header went in was enormous - first league win of the calendar year on its way. I am not ashamed to admit it almost brought me to tears.

And I must admit to booing, but it was directed at Huddersfield.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
In this league, teams can go long periods without wins (depending on how their fixtures fall) and it's more common that some realise.

This isn't the Championship, it's a far tougher league, and we are no longer a top team in our current league (like when we were in the Championship) so of course results will be much harder to get and harder to play the exciting, attractive football some people seemingly think we should be playing.

This is like when we made the championship whilst at the Withdean. Our ambition was to stay there, and we knew it would be difficult to achieve, this is similar in that it is difficult to achieve survival in this league yet some seem to think we should be better than teams that have had a lot longer, and invested far more than we have so are ore equipped to stay in the league than we are.

The longer we stay, the more we can evolve the side and slowly become the sort of side that the moaners want but it will be a long, slow process and those trying to destroy confidence and demotivate our team now by booing, moaning, abusing players who are giving their all, etc is extremely counter productive and more likely to lead to failure, making relegation more likely (this negativity tends to come from the over-entitled, who fail to grasp the bigger picture and watch the whole pitch and what positions other players are in (including opposition players) and fail to see that, for example, there is no forward pass on so the only option is sideways or backwards yet see that as poor play rather than just aimlessly hoofing the ball forward and giving possession away (for which they'd get abuse for too) because they are impatient, and clueless about the game and tactics and clueless about sports psychology.

They are idiots and do little or nothing to help the side. Teams and players need confidence, and the more confident they are, the better they tend to play and are more likely to play a riskier pass that may not work, but may concede possession. If they know they will get targeted by their own support for trying, why would they? Booing and scapegoating do no favours

This, every word of it. In the Championship we were only 1 maybe 2 games away from playing a team that were blatantly worse than us, in the Premier League you can go 2-3 months, at least,without an easy game . Those that expect us to roll over any PL team need to wake up.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
There did seem to be some noise when the whistle went, I think it was more groans of 'ughhhhh' that was sh!t to themselves then 'boos' directed at the team.

Fans me included, do get frustrated when we keep passing the ball side to side, then backwards etc when we can attack, but Chris knows the game more us and we got the win in the end so all is well. :albion2:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

That's all very admirable and I personally don't disagree with it (for the record I didn't boo), but in reality is not something that has ever or likely will ever be taken to heart in every single fan at any given club. We are humans, with all the ugly, irrational emotions that being human entails, and will get angry and scared and frustrated, we'll be optimistic and look at all the reasons to hope, then become disappointed when they don't come to fruition.

While, yes, we are small fish in this big ocean of Premier league, and periods of poor results are expected, teams hoping to survive should be looking to avoid runs that last two months. Especially when those two months include a games against a struggling team like Fulham, and a Burnley that had failed to live up to last season, and a home game against a Watford that didn't come to win, a run that involved letting two 2-goal leads slip, and even the respite of the cup sees us needing two games + extra time to beat a team from the division below.

Despite broadly agreeing with your appraisal of our position in football, I'm not blind to the fact the emotions of some fans will overcome the logic you lay out so well, and so there will always be people who boo, especially when you've gone two months without a league win when there were comfortably winnable games in that period, and thus find it much more likely those booing were doing so because the first half performance of our team than booing off a referee who at that point had done nothing wrong, had no contentious decisions to make.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
My wife, who is a Southampton STH but was with me yesterday in WSU, said to me afterwards that our fans are much more passionate than theirs!!! :albion2:

Until about the 85th minute when half the crowd disappears despite being only 1 up in a crucial game. And yes i get people have different priorities etc and it doesn't really matter, but i did notice on motd that old trafford at full time at the and of their game was still 99% full!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here