Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Notre Dame On Fire

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
French billionaire François-Henri Pinault has just coughed up 100 Million Euros.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...e-rebuild-pinault-donation-french-billionaire

:clap2:

[tweet]1117928178218078208[/tweet]

Phew, the Vatican dodged a bullet there!

2dd.jpg

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bloody shit timing, my daughter is in Paris this Easter weekend with her boyfriend for her 21st Birthday and was planning to visit Notre Dame.
Will just have to look from the pavement now, shame.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Bloody shit timing, my daughter is in Paris this Easter weekend with her boyfriend for her 21st Birthday and was planning to visit Notre Dame.
Will just have to look from the pavement now, shame.

I feel awful for her Mike, just awful. I hope she'll be okay. Maybe Macron could offer her a personal tour of the Palace of Versailles to compensate.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
If 'god' had anything to do with it, it wouldn't have caught fire.

Unless he was punishing gays and paedophiles within his company/employment.

It's heartbreaking to see innovative engineering and architectural historical feats destroyed. But frankly, religion has raped and pillaged more than enough to be able to afford restoration.

The responsibility for the maintenance of Church buildings in France rests with the state as part of the settlement on the division of Church and state (1906?), so if bit is rebuilt, it should be the state that pays..

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Awful as it is, it won't be the first time that historic buildings have been re-built from scratch. Churches, cathedrals and monasteries often caught fire due to their wooden rooves.

Rouen cathedral, which is very similar to Notre Dame, has been re-built several times, Monte Cassino was obliterated but re-built, Dresden Frauenkirche etc

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The responsibility for the maintenance of Church buildings in France rests with the state as part of the settlement on the division of Church and state (1906?), so if bit is rebuilt, it should be the state that pays..
I thought it was the Archdiocese that was responsible for upkeep in the case of ND.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I imagine there will be a very well received appeal. Can see the repair cost being covered in days !

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It’s such a shame that the church is a bit skint and doesn’t have the funds to sort this out. That 100m donation could then maybe have been used to help the homeless or some others in need

That will be a small drop in the ocean of restoration costs. Spurs spent £1bn to build a football stadium

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It’s such a shame that the church is a bit skint and doesn’t have the funds to sort this out. That 100m donation could then maybe have been used to help the homeless or some others in need

Don`t think it would look to good if the church had several hundred million in the bank......That 100m is a donation to rebuild Cathedral !!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I thought it was the Archdiocese that was responsible for upkeep in the case of ND.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

If it is, it would presumably be a special case, but you may be right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here