Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anyone else miss the days when we were crap?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't miss us being crap but like you i do find the incessant whinging from new supporters ****ing irritating. Yeah we've been a bit poor in 2019 but look at the bloody context

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm quite a JCL, but it's pissing me off too. Social media is one thing ('Hughton out' etc) but some of the crap coming from fans in the ground during games (typically not STHs) is ridiculous. Not sure what they're expecting

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Unfortunately there is no business model for being an average div 1 or championship team. If there was I would be more than happy to support it and watch any premier league matches that took my fancy on the telly.
There’s too much of a win at all costs attitude and a disparity between Premier league and the rest. I still have a problem with the fact that the development of our national football is impacted by the money swilling found premier league football. We are starting to see our own better players going abroad to get recognition - it’s a sad state of affairs.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Unfortunately there is no business model for being an average div 1 or championship team. If there was I would be more than happy to support it and watch any premier league matches that took my fancy on the telly.
There’s too much of a win at all costs attitude and a disparity between Premier league and the rest. I still have a problem with the fact that the development of our national football is impacted by the money swilling found premier league football. We are starting to see our own better players going abroad to get recognition - it’s a sad state of affairs.

Agree. When a player gets an International Cap before a league appearance, it shows how our talent is being stiffled.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Or is it just me?

Obviously it's amazing being in the Premier League and I honestly never thought I'd see the day when we were, but there's some masochistic sentiment in me that misses us getting excited over a 100k player or someone on a free from a first division club. The Goldstone was falling apart but it was our home, Withdean gave us a sense of purpose during the long fight for Falmer and now.... now we are up with the big boys, dropping 17 million quid on players and some fans want the manager sacked for not taking sexy enough throw-ins.

It's all great but I must say I miss us being shite.

No.

But I see the point that there is a difference in experience and those days can be looked back on with a fondness.

Go back to it - we then miss what we have now.

The only solution is to have 2 teams ( boo !) - the Albion and one in league 1 or 2.

Nottingham has it right with both Forest and County - there are plenty that follow both teams. The closest we have is Crawley( boo !?) - not ideal for a lot of fans. If Whitehawk->Brighton United ( or whatever it was ) had happened - and they would have needed a ground upgrade as well - then maybe we'd have similar options.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Whilst I have great memories of the "crap" days, I know we are at the promised land and I am cherishing every second, good or bad. Remember, you never realise the good things until you no longer have them!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
there was a certain kudos associated with supporting a lower league team that i always loved, especially when i moved to another part of the country. It helped me forge an identity for myself in my new workplace. I'm still known as being 'the Brighton fan' after 20+ years in this part of the world.

Yeah, I can relate to this. I always liked that Brighton were 'my' team - no-one else knew anything about our players. Whereas I could tell the Man Utd fan next to me the names of everyone in his squad, where they played, how good they were - his team wasn't unique to him.

I also miss away days being just that - reserved only for those who went. We'd have 'back from the game' threads on here where you'd tell everyone else how we played, and if you didn't go and we lost 3-0, well it could just be forgotten about, if you didn't see it, it probably didn't happen..... Nowadays every game is streamed and in some masochistic way we are forced to watch every dire away performance, which I think serves to exacerbate the moaning about our form, all teams tend to play badly away from home but not many fans outside the prem actually watch those games ... definitely results in a change of mindset in my opinion

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We have been crap mostly over the last few months and no I don’t like it :lolol:

Exactly. 'crap' is a relative term and since Christmas we have indeed been crap. I'm waiting for the days when we're crap to end and us to go back to being 'adequate' again!

And I'd much rather be crap in the PL than crap in League two. It's a bit like the difference between being poor in Britain or being poor in a Third World country.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I didn’t realise how much I missed the ‘old days’ until I tried to start the Michel Kuipers song in the Green Man before the pub. Just a sea of blank faces. One lad; bless him, obviously cottoned on to it being an old player song so he racked his brains for something similar...

“Oh Steven Sidwell...” :facepalm:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I miss signing people like Nathan Elder and saying defiantly in the pub "I think he's the next Zamora"

I once claimed Steve Melton would play for England....

I still believe Stafford Browne will come good

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Yeah, I can relate to this. I always liked that Brighton were 'my' team - no-one else knew anything about our players. Whereas I could tell the Man Utd fan next to me the names of everyone in his squad, where they played, how good they were - his team wasn't unique to him.

I also miss away days being just that - reserved only for those who went. We'd have 'back from the game' threads on here where you'd tell everyone else how we played, and if you didn't go and we lost 3-0, well it could just be forgotten about, if you didn't see it, it probably didn't happen..... Nowadays every game is streamed and in some masochistic way we are forced to watch every dire away performance, which I think serves to exacerbate the moaning about our form, all teams tend to play badly away from home but not many fans outside the prem actually watch those games ... definitely results in a change of mindset in my opinion

I remember meeting a lad in uni who supported Swindon and it was like two outsiders finding each other.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Definitely, especially Priestfield weirdly. That said it may just be me being a bit nostalgic as these were the times none of us had kids and could spend 14 hours out of the house getting hammered.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Definitely, especially Priestfield weirdly. That said it may just be me being a bit nostalgic as these were the times none of us had kids and could spend 14 hours out of the house getting hammered.

I get what you mean and you're probably not alone. But my god those matches were bleak. Those floodlights. That font on our badge. Star player Jeff Minton. A two-hour drive home before you can have a beer. After defeat to Halifax.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I do remember a guy I knew who supported Bolton, he had similar thoughts and missed the fun. When they were relegated from The Premier League he was looking forward to smashing teams in the Championship

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Yeah i miss it. I loved Withdean (I have mentioned this many times before so people may find my love boring!) It is where I first watched proper football as a 13year old exile. I got so excited to travel an hour and a half to a home match and see that as such i will always look back on those times with fond memories.

These days the football is so much better and I don't see that the cost has gone up too much. Adult tickets at Withdean in League 1 were £24/25 I am sure. i guess it is the tiering of matches that makes the massive difference whereas i tend to go to the games against the lower teams that I think we will win.

I am a tad jealous of my eldest son who has seen the last 5 years play out like a perfect childhood dream of a club rising to prominence but I think it is the fact we were crap for so long that grew my love for this club. Don't get me wrong, I love where this club is, Wembley last weekend was like a dream and I still love us, I guess it was just fun supporting someone so crap that people would ask 'Who are your actual team' whenever you mentioned you supported Brighton.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
My problem, amongst many, is in the past I didn't expect good football a win was nice however it was won but now Premier league I expect good attractive football played by the best in the world. :moo:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Hell no. I've wasted far too much of my life worrying about the Albion. I still have minor worries, of course but not anywhere near as in the same league of anxiety as when we were crap.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If NSC had been around in 1980 I wonder if anyone would have asked the same question then? Just because we might be in the 'promised land' of the top flight doesn't mean we'll stay there.

Look at Reading - under Madjeski they had a sensible business model of 'let the rich man build the stadium but don't overstretch on transfers/wages'. It kept them in the prem for a short while but now they're scrapping around the bottom of the Championship. I know you might think they're tinpot but they're a possible future for us if things don't go well / TB no longer involved / other change of circumstance* (delete as appropriate)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here