Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Hughton good enough? - The curious case of Jose Izquerdo

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A thought provoking post that I’m sure the hierarchy must surely be considering. The management game in football is all about pushing boundaries. I think Chris has given his all to the cause and we all appreciate that.
However, as a club we want to progress as much as we can. That takes time and at the moment we cannot afford to break the bank nor are we that attractive to the top players and the very best managers.
The naysayers will constantly harp or on about where we have come from and we should be thankful that we still have a club etc etc. I don’t buy into that as times change and we would love to step on to another level.
Keeping Chris as a manager isn’t going bring great football but might keep us ‘safe’ as a club.
Out of interest, any ideas about a realistic replacement for Chris should the club b decide to go down that route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The future manager we need to keep our eye on is a bright young fella called Nathan Jones! transformed Luton from lower league 2 dross to expansive, high pressing attacking team thats still flying.

Ive been following the Stoke forum every week since he arrived, just to see the reaction since he walked into that toxic mess of a club and after some harsh critisism from fans in the first few weeks, theyre now starting to see the fruits of his radical change to the system and his ability to adapt tactically in games..... even though they drew again yesterday, the fans are singing his praises and all believe theyre going places under him.

Im sure our club will be keeping tabs on Jonesy, and NJ at some point (assuming the continuing upward trajectory) with his brand of high pressing attacking football with defensive discipline, could be just the ticket and I reckon Nathan would crawl bollock naked over glass to manage us. A perfect pre season management appointment.....hell we could even px managers with Stoke!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It wasn't that long ago that Izquierdo was a one trick pony. Saying that, how he didn't come on yesterday, I have no idea.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The future manager we need to keep our eye on is a bright young fella called Nathan Jones! transformed Luton from lower league 2 dross to expansive, high pressing attacking team thats still flying.

Ive been following the Stoke forum every week since he arrived, just to see the reaction since he walked into that toxic mess of a club and after some harsh critisism from fans in the first few weeks, theyre now starting to see the fruits of his radical change to the system ans his ability to adapt tactically in games..... even though they drew again yesterday, the fans are singing his praises and all believe theyre going places under him.

Im sure our club will be keeping tabs on Jonesy, and NJ at some point (assuming the continuing upward trajectory) with hos brand of high pressing attacking football with defensive discipline, could be just the ticket and I reckon Nathan would crawl bollock naked over glass to manage us. A perfect pre season management appointment.....hell we could even px managers with Stoke!

A perfect replacement for Woy then to keep the OP troll happy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This was the topic of discussion in the pub near my sons today and one suggestion was to sack CH in the summer and bring Gus back as the football was more entertaining and he would do well with our latest signings, and they would play better for him.e Not sure that I agree with bringing him back although I loved the football when he was here.

Bring Poyet back! On what alternative planet are the people in the pub near your son living? He stuck two fingers up at the club, especially the Chairman who had backed him to the hilt. Since then he has been a failure everywhere he went. If Hughton did go in the close season, I suspect TB will be aiming higher than GP.

prawnsandwich

Mar 31, 2019
I am actually a STH in the Upper East - and my huge frustration at not seeing Izquerdo yesterday drove me to this post. I am not saying ‘Hughton out’ - but blind loyalty can sometimes be a barrier to progress.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As I said on another thread - I don't think Izqueirdo is seen as 100% fit, even by his own admission and he didn't look that way at Millwall. I get the impression we are nursing him through to the end of the season to try to get him 100% fit for next.
Maybe I'm wrong and he'll start against Chelsea and play a blinder but either way CH knows what he's doing and you mostly conveniently brush past the injuries to Andone, Locadia and Ali in your post.
And it's always the "other" player who is better than the one we have on the pitch.

All nearer to the point than a rambling post by the OP that is pure carp... that last sentence is so true

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
FFS! Another f**king Hughton out thread?!?

Not like you couldn't have added this to any of the others?

None of us commenting here see the players throughout the week. Who is training well? Who is having an off day? Who has a bit of a cold? Pulled muscle?

Hughton eases players into the first team. We all know this now. Players then earn a place or get rotated or get dropped.

There is no grand f**king conspiracy master minded by Chris to play sh*te and p*ss of the sanctimonious tw*ts on here who think two seasons of Football Manager or an hour playing FIFA makes them qualified to pick the team.

:facepalm:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Stoke have drawn their last four games 0-0. Are we sure Hughton isn’t already managing them?

touche!......... different games though mate, backs to the wall at QPR away with 10 men after first few mins, and yesterday by all accounts, they battered wednesday and did everything except score.

NJ has got them playing though, after a full summer/pre season they're a top tip to be right up their next season.... but hey, who gives a flying about Stoke..... just hink hes a great potential fit down the road and he's be up for coming.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Palace troll . Too much to say on your first contribution.
That's not a Palace Troll. That's the post of a journalist. The OP is written in a journalistic prose. How sad that they create a profile on a fans forum where they can hide behind annonimity.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's not a Palace Troll. That's the post of a journalist. The OP is written in a journalistic prose. How sad that they create a profile on a fans forum where they can hide behind annonimity.

Not disagreeing with what you say but isn't everyone on here hiding behind anonymity?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Gus’s football at Withdean - breathtaking.
Gus’s football at The Amex - so often, slow passing around the back in relentless triangles, whilst the opposition centre halves smoked cigars as the shuttles-expert tried in vain to pressure them. Hughton’s Championship brand of football was so much better.

This. People forget Poyet pioneered the Autumn zzzzz, a calendar event so regular that Garcia and Hypia thought the club insisted on a prolonged spell of no shots or goals each season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Well yours was a bit of dumb post. Who gives a flying **** what people do in training, it's what they do under the spotlight on matchday. To use a word like conspiracy is childish. No one is suggesting it is deliberate ploy by CH to get us relegated.

I suspect most people aren't basing their comments on playing fifa for a couple of years, their views are based on having watched the Albion, in my case for over 40 years.

The coaching staff and manager prepare the team each week for whatever match is forthcoming. But what changes each week? Pretty much bugger all. For example, who coaches the team or tells them how to kick off? Why do we do the same thing every time. If it's the players just deciding to do it then why doesn't the manager tell them not to. I would suggest they play to instructions because if they don't, they'll get dropped. It's only when we go down and the players natural spirit then takes over that things start to happen.

I suspect you blame the players for the trash served up yesterday until they scored and give Hughton all the credit for the surge forward afterwards.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It is important to point out straight away that what Chris Hughton has achieved at Brighton elevates him to the status of legend. He has done an incredible job, but in football the past cannot be a barometer of the current. And despite a season which will include an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, and on paper a good chance of another season of Premier League football, there are a number of issues that are arising this season that need addressing. And they stem from the manager.

In recent years Brighton has invested a significant amount of money in a squad capable of competing in the Premier League. But despite this investment, Hughton often favours players he knows and trusts from the club’s rise from the Championship. The likes of Dale Stephens, Solly March and Glenn Murray remain his trusted lieutenants.

But it is clear from watching Brighton regularly, that they do not create enough chances in the Premier League. There is a reliance on the team structure to grind out results with a cautious and pragmatic approach to attacking.

Of course, for a team new to the Premier League it is unfair to expect anything more expansive in the first two seasons. But the concern with Hughton is that the reason he trusts the players that served him so well from the Championship, is that they fit into his philosophy and style. Players that are likely more talented, but less disciplined seem to struggle to get a run of games.

The case in point is Jose Izquerdo, who despite being fit now for a few weeks, was left on the bench against Southampton in a game that was crying out for his pace and directness. It is mystifying that if Hughton continually prefers March as an option over Izquerdo. Brighton does not have many players that are international class – and despite being erratic at times – Izquerdo is easily one of the most potent attacking weapons at the club.

But this issue goes beyond Izquerdo. We have seen Murray picked ahead of Andone & Locadia for most of the season. Jahanbakhsh has been a recent starter, and despite looking well off the pace at times, has a real pedigree and had he had earlier opportunities may have been able to adapt more quickly.

The concern with Hughton is that there is a disconnect between his ideas and philosophy and the recruitment strategy. Hopefully with the appointment of Dan Ashton, this can improve. But although players like Izquerdo, Andone and Jahanbakhsh have all suffered injury lay-offs this season, it is a fair question to ask how different the attack could look if they all started together.

The club hierarchy has to question why after a significant investment in the squad the manager chose to rely on what he knows. Does it raise questions about Hughton’s ability to manage elite players? And does it raise questions about whether Hughton has taken the club as far as he can?

The club has done brilliantly well under Hughton, but it needs to evolve if it wants to stay and compete in the Premier League. It needs better players to do that over the long term.

By keeping Izquerdo on the bench in a game you desperately need to win and end up losing 1-0 should trigger some uncomfortable questions for the manager to answer. His past achievements and a great cup run shouldn’t paper over the cracks.

Izquierdo.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The case in point is Jose Izquerdo, who despite being fit now for a few weeks, was left on the bench against Southampton in a game that was crying out for his pace and directness. It is mystifying that if Hughton continually prefers March as an option over Izquerdo. Brighton does not have many players that are international class – and despite being erratic at times – Izquerdo is easily one of the most potent attacking weapons at the club.

Solly March was man of the match off the bench in our last game. He took an under-performing side by the scruff of the neck and gave them the dynamism that had been missing. He ran at people. He forced things to happen. He was key to our escape and we wouldn't be at Wembley without him. You being a fan of Izquierdo (although not a big enough fan to look up the correct spelling of his name) doesn't change the fact that Solly deserved his chance yesterday. He was unlucky not to start in front of Knockaert or Jahanbakhsh.

Izzy's pace was not going to be a great asset against a team that was one nil up and sitting back. What we could have done with yesterday was Pascal Gross. Unfortunately he wasn't even on the bench, presumably because of match fitness.

The rest of your post is all over the place. Murray gets selected because he scores goals, particularly at home, not because Hughton has any problem with either of the other two. Jahanbakhsh was being given a run in the side when he got an injury that stopped his progress. Izzy was first choice at the time he suffered the injury against Palace. You have absolutely no idea about how Chris Hughton manages elite players and just seem to be saying things that you have heard pundits say.

The truth is that Hughton, based on his own words, likes to have two players in every position that he would be happy to start in the Premier League. He likes to have some players who will give him different options. He will pick different players for different games.

He not only knows the players levels far better than you do, but he also knows far far more about football than any of us. Trust the man. Don't scapegoat him whenever the team puts in a disappointing performance. What his time at the club has taught us is that there will be very impressive performances around the corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here