Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris hughton news conference

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Always perplexes me, this booing thing. I don't do it myself, by the way.

So, you boo a player for making multiple crap passes, not trying enough, or having a piss-poor first touch. He then gets all nervous (apparently) and it makes him play worse. "Don't boo him!" we cry...

Conversely, we all get behind the team and cheer a player for making multiple crap passes, not trying enough, or having a piss-poor first touch. He then, assumedly, thinks he's playing just fine and dandy so doesn't really have to try any harder.

:shrug:

I think the booing is probably aimed at the dug out and not the player.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The result against Wolves is probably the most positive league result we've had in weeks. If that doesn't help lift players or fans a bit then we really are all doomed.

No shots on target, some 20% possession, no goals in six. Yep that's lifted me to take to Tottenham.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Yes it was on match of the day 2 last night he said “Brighton have accepted what they have got, and have stopped playing” basically saying we are more likely to go down as Cardiff are still trying.

Such lazy commentary, especially given that Cardiff need at least a win and a draw from 3...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The result against Wolves is probably the most positive league result we've had in weeks. If that doesn't help lift players or fans a bit then we really are all doomed.

We're not doomed yet, but it is inevitable sooner or later if we don't put up a fight. Our current tactics are the equivalent of hiding under the duvet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nobody here can accuse this group of players downing tools. [was asked question about Keown's MOTD comment]
Yes it was on match of the day 2 last night he said “Brighton have accepted what they have got, and have stopped playing” basically saying we are more likely to go down as Cardiff are still trying.
Some on NSC have accused them of doing just that. I completely disagree with Keown's lazy journalism, and the view of some of our fans. It seems Chris disagrees too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We're not doomed yet, but it is inevitable sooner or later if we don't put up a fight. Our current tactics are the equivalent of hiding under the duvet.

I think the consensus from even those highly critical of our recent terrible form/player/manager/performances/tactics concluded we put up a fight on Saturday and the tactics, given the need to put a stop to the rot, ultimately worked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The three games pre-Wolves I think he could be excused for thinking that?
Excused on the basis that although he's paid to know about the teams in the league, he doesn't really have time, so he just looks at the game stats and makes it up?
Personally found the performance at Wolves very uplifting because I had my doubts about the player’s mentality before that game too.
Maybe the odd player dropped their heads during the game, and weren't up for the fight in that particular game, but there's no way the players as a whole had stopped playing. It's just nonsense.

Absolutely no idea why he’d say that after the Wolves game though.
Agreed, that makes his comment even more clueless.

I understand that some of you may not agree with me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think the consensus from even those highly critical of our recent terrible form/player/manager/performances/tactics concluded we put up a fight on Saturday and the tactics, given the need to put a stop to the rot, ultimately worked.

What tactics? Please tell me. I am busting as gut to know what they were.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Some on NSC have accused them of doing just that. It seems Chris doesn't agree.

Yep. Accusations that the players "don't care" or bizarrely care so much that they're literally fighting about it, or only the players signed by Hughton before a certain date care (Kayal cares but i dunno, Bernardo doesn't), or that the manager has "lost the dressing room" is just lazy but understandable reactions to a dreadful slump in form and results. Steve Sidwell also refuted this line on Saturday.
[tweet]1119559420760006656[/tweet]

via https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1119559420760006656

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Excused on the basis that although he's paid to know about the teams in the league, he doesn't really have time, so he just looks at the game stats and makes it up?
Maybe the odd player dropped their heads during the game, and weren't up for the fight in that particular game, but there's no way the players as a whole had stopped playing. It's just nonsense.

Agreed, that makes his comment even more clueless.

I understand that some of you may not agree with me.

I’m fully in agreement...SB would do a better job than MK

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Leon's right to the extent that we appear to have stopped trying to win games and seem more focused on trying not to lose whereas Cardiff are giving it a right good go.
I disagree. The accusation is probably fair for the game against Southampton, but not for the games against Bournemouth and Cardiff. We were attacking, we got countered. It is of course true for our trip to Wolves which, thankfully, worked.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Yep. Accusations that the players "don't care" or bizarrely care so much that they're literally fighting about it, or only the players signed by Hughton before a certain date care (Kayal cares but i dunno, Bernardo doesn't), or that the manager has "lost the dressing room" is just lazy but understandable reactions to a dreadful slump in form and results. Steve Sidwell also refuted this line on Saturday.
[tweet]1119559420760006656[/tweet]

via https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1119559420760006656

Devils advocate but Sidwell who still works for the club isn't going to come out and claim he has lost it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here