Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It seems talk here has turned to the next election. Has one been called? Did Brexit disappear?

i assume the theory is that the make up of parliament and their votes yesturday, looks like we need a new set of MPs to resolve the impasse. but its doesnt, because 80-90% of the same MPs will be returned. maybe Labour deselections will make significant change to the votes? of course not.

a GE does not resolve anything, both main parties currently support leaving, just in different guises. so unless remainers elect 300+ Liberals, the offical policy of any new government will be to leave. despite most of the MPs personally being against that policy.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
i assume the theory is that the make up of parliament and their votes yesturday, looks like we need a new set of MPs to resolve the impasse. but its doesnt, because 80-90% of the same MPs will be returned. maybe Labour deselections will make significant change to the votes? of course not.

a GE does not resolve anything, both main parties currently support leaving, just in different guises. so unless remainers elect 300+ Liberals, the offical policy of any new government will be to leave. despite most of the MPs personally being against that policy.

The problem with your assumption is that you seem to think that each party will be running under their manifestos of the previous election. Labour could easily include some form of final public vote on a deal. The Conservatives are likely to shift even further to the right, based on the names being touted as their next leader. But this all very hypothetical.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Last night CU lost by 7, People's Vote by 27. BBC this morning incapable of reporting this, still scared of the government

Lets have a final vote on May's deal and get it out the way, we should give one last chance for the Brexiteers. Do they want their Brexit or not?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And who is actually meant to be on the nightshift this week, [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION], [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] ?

Couldn't organise a bloody piss up in a brewery :rolleyes:

Not sure about them but [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] was busy defending Adam Johnson last night.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
...or Dominic Raab, the least disliked hard brexiteer.

I suspect Michael Gove. He stayed local to the Prime Minister and is actually a good Environment minister, completely recovering from his last job.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...retary-conaervative-theresa-may-a8155776.html

Stabbing Boris in the back won't lose many votes.

Gove was well respected as prisons minister also. It's only schools that he made a complete pigs ear of, which is of course a more high profile mistake.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sajid Javid and Ruth Davidson have polled much higher amongst actual Tory party members than Johnson, Gove and Hunt during the brexit process. Leadsom and Grayling didn’t even get a look in. Don’t be swayed by where the bookies want you to place your money.

Those bloody bookies losing money again just so that they can put their plan to undermine the country into action. I have to say I expected you to try and blame the EU, The Government, MPs, remain voters, the DUP, Uncle Tom Cobley etc etc for your mess, but bookies now ? Really ?

Maybe you need to cut back on the calming substances :facepalm:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I guess the big variable (or actually one of about 3 million variables) over the next two days is 'can May offer anything to the DUP to get them on board?' If so then - possibly - her deal has legs and might limp across the line. But they (the DUP) are nothing if not implacable: the back-stop is their deal breaker and there's no way that May can remove it. What would it take to get the DUP on-side at this stage? Answer directly to tmay@disasterlegacy.gov

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I guess the big variable (or actually one of about 3 million variables) over the next two days is 'can May offer anything to the DUP to get them on board?' If so then - possibly - her deal has legs and might limp across the line. But they (the DUP) are nothing if not implacable: the back-stop is their deal breaker and there's no way that May can remove it. What would it take to get the DUP on-side at this stage? Answer directly to tmay@disasterlegacy.gov

Nothing, there is a good reason why Stormont isn't sitting, think about it. :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I guess the big variable (or actually one of about 3 million variables) over the next two days is 'can May offer anything to the DUP to get them on board?' If so then - possibly - her deal has legs and might limp across the line.

I'm not sure that would be enough, The offer to quit may also turn MPs who previously voted for it (especially Labour ones) to voting against it. There's also the issue of the 20-odd Tory Remain MPs who voted against it, offering concessions to the DUP/hard Brexiteers will scarcely persuade them to switch.

The only chance to get it through would be if Johnson could be guaranteed to win - Labour would be rubbing its collective hands with glee if that were the case, but I don't think it's very likely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1111018330922471424[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gove was well respected as prisons minister also. It's only schools that he made a complete pigs ear of, which is of course a more high profile mistake.

I'd go Amber Rudd, but it won't happen. Gove would be least bad choice. The likes of DD, Johnson, Fox have all failed and have little credibility left

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd go Amber Rudd, but it won't happen. Gove would be least bad choice. The likes of DD, Johnson, Fox have all failed and have little credibility left

Whereas as Micheal 'I think we've had quite enough of experts' Gove is creditable.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Whereas as Micheal 'I think we've had quite enough of experts' Gove is creditable.

can I give my vote to you and then you can put it where you think it should go ?

why don't you give yourself a day off, you haven't stopped whining since before the referendum, then you post a tweet from David Schneider, yes David Schneider ............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here