Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Were you a Skinhead

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Turn up at one of Wild Wood's gigs and sample what it was like back in the day. Not a smidge of anything but peace, love and having a good time, re-living the late sixties and early seventies through the medium of Reggae and Skinheads of all ages.
It’s an interesting culture, this recent documentary made me think more deeply about it and it’s forgotten (generally forgotten) roots. Qudos to you for being true to its roots. Some in the documentary worry if those roots can ever be reclaimed but I admire you for promoting a positive image of an often hijacked counter culture.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=reGXa3vgeF4

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Closet Millwall fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Having indulged both sides of the fence, there isn't much difference, apart from ironing clothes and polished shoes as opposed to sandals!

Getting stoned and listening to good music.

Obviously I'm not referring to oi boneheads etc. They're not worthy of the title IMO.

Haven’t read the thread but no fecking way, I was a hippy and I still have hippy values. The hair has gone though I have resisted a bald pate with a ponytail or a bald head with long straggly hair. :smile:

Peace and Love man, make love not war (or as the t shirt went “**** for peace”)

They don’t make music like this anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrqMdja4eYs

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
This does bring back a long lost memory of a visit to Stamford Bridge in the early eighties. A mate I had'nt seen for ages invited me to London. Started off drinking at the Ferret and Firkin, one of the early real ale revival pubs, and went rather pissed to the ground. Shed End! Keep your mouth shut and you will be all right said my mate as we stood in a crowd of skinheads. Happy days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same. Individually they were no doubt perfectly nice to their dear old nan, but get them together in a pack at a punk gig and it was like letting loose a pack of feral rottweilers. Even Jimmy Pursey disowned them in the end. ****s.

A long time to reply to this post....I saw Sham69 at the Roxy in 77. Nouveaux Skins on stage. What a bunch of utter prats. Ugly, badly dressed, thick, provincial....one threw half a can of lager into the crowd off the stage that hit me in the face. I was a punk at the time, and adrenalinized, so it bounced off. We were more bemused than anything. Pursey a bit embarrassed by the pikey nobbers. Oh well. The nouveaux punks of late 77 and early 78 at the Lurkers gig in Fulham were just a pathetic.

I agree with other posters who report that the 60s skins were a different breed, and would all be 67 years old at least, now. The likes of PPF are to the originals what The Dickies are to The Clash. Smell of pubs, Wormwood Scrubs and too many right wing meetings.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Turn up at one of Wild Wood's gigs and sample what it was like back in the day. Not a smidge of anything but peace, love and having a good time, re-living the late sixties and early seventies through the medium of Reggae and Skinheads of all ages.

Thanks for the glowing reference mate! Was so good to see you at the last Ska Train!

Yep, been a skinhead for over 20 years now. It’s all about the original skinhead style & sounds. So think Brutus shirts, Frank Wright loafers & 60s Jamaican music! There really is nothing better!! Just a shame that other people think you’re either a mod or a Nazi...!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks for the glowing reference mate! Was so good to see you at the last Ska Train!

Yep, been a skinhead for over 20 years now. It’s all about the original skinhead style & sounds. So think Brutus shirts, Frank Wright loafers & 60s Jamaican music! There really is nothing better!! Just a shame that other people think you’re either a mod or a Nazi...!

At that gig, you played a tune I didn't recognize, and it gave me an ear worm for days until I tracked it down. I don't dance at all, but try and keep still whilst listening to this. This is the type of beat that got most of us addicted!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Y5i3B_A8E

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

:eek:
:lolol:

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I remember this song from the terraces in the 70s.

Eh you skinhead over there,
Whats it like to have no hair,
Is it hot or is it cold,
Whats it like to be bald?

Anyone remsmber that one?

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
It’s an interesting culture, this recent documentary made me think more deeply about it and it’s forgotten (generally forgotten) roots. Qudos to you for being true to its roots. Some in the documentary worry if those roots can ever be reclaimed but I admire you for promoting a positive image of an often hijacked counter culture.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=reGXa3vgeF4
Front cover of skinhead moonstomp album. I still havecit.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here