Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton out

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Said it earlydoors, say it again. Only SANE manager of the Amex era. Stopped the very serious rot last season and has pushed on up this season after the succession of foreign nutters who mistook taking ten or twenty or thirty crablike passes to reach the halfway line (only to instantly lose possession due to a pathetically lame midfield) as a measurement of success. Hughton IN!

A re-writing of history. Gus side that finished fourth was a very good, entertaining side. 6-1 against Blackpool, 5-1against Barnsley, 3-1 against Burnley,3-0againstSheffield Wednesday:lolol: 3-0against Ipswich, 4-1against Udders, 3-0 against Palace, all excellent, entertainment

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah some people did make real berks of themselves back then, and that’s not only funny but it’s good that those who were calling for patience have been vindicated. But equally I don’t really think it’s that positive to say “I told you so”. I think it would be better, and generous, to acknowledge that those who were mistaken back then, were only saying it because they care about the club. Let’s not be too hard on them, hope they’ve learnt a lesson about knee jerk reactions and all look forward to pushing for promotion this season.

....... or perhaps they've just re-directed their attentions to Lewis Dunk...................

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting that the first post to defend Hughton (on page 2 of the thread), by [MENTION=23005]GreersElbow[/MENTION], got 25 likes, so it certainly wasn't everyone slagging him off - just a few of the usual suspects.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe I shouldn't, but now this thread has been bounced I can't help relishing a warm feeling of smugness when I look back to the first pro-Hughton post on here, post #24!

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A re-writing of history. Gus side that finished fourth was a very good, entertaining side. 6-1 against Blackpool, 5-1against Barnsley, 3-1 against Burnley,3-0againstSheffield Wednesday:lolol: 3-0against Ipswich, 4-1against Udders, 3-0 against Palace, all excellent, entertainment

You forgot about Vicente too - he was worth the admission money alone if he was playing.. I will never understand people who thought that side was boring! Flairtastic possession football. True, it was often missing the end product (at least until we signed Ulloa), but we sometimes played teams completely off the park. Perhaps some people would have preferred us to hoof it...?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You forgot about Vicente too - he was worth the admission money alone if he was playing.. I will never understand people who thought that side was boring! Flairtastic possession football. True, it was often missing the end product (at least until we signed Ulloa), but we sometimes played teams completely off the park. Perhaps some people would have preferred us to hoof it...?
Thought we was boring as fack most of the time to be honest...Had a few games in the championship where we scored a fair few in the second season,but most games in the championship were average or bore fests.
Possession football in your own half with sideways football and 7 defensive players.
All fans like different football that's for sure.

Hootons side is much more exciting as we score goals and concede....That's entertainment:)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Remember the Barnsley game and strangely I found it boring for some reason as you wouldn't have thought we'd won 5-1:annoyed:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Some right MUGS on this THREAD, anyone can SEE Hughton was ALWAYS the right man for the JOB

Says the man who orchestrated the Hughton Out Poll less than 6 weeks ago.

Nothing has been achieved yet but no one wants Promotion more than CH himself. This is a good League this year. Any one of the top 6 could make the top two. My concern overall this season is that normally if you make the play offs you can look at the other 3 teams and think to yourself - YES I think we could dispose of A + B but C would be a problem. This year EVERY one of the Top 6 teams, you wouldn't look forward to getting them in a play off situation this season.

That victory against Bristol City came at a good time. Early in the season we were the ones winning by the odd goal and the others were more convincing when they won. Recently that has turned and the others are the ones winning by small margins. That doesn't make Brighton a better team but what it could well do is inject confidence into the players.

That coupled with the fact that we are almost back to a full fitness compliment in the squad is a very good position to be in at this stage in the season.

PS : Please don't ''bounce'' this thread again....I hate seeing it crop up.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Remember the Barnsley game and strangely I found it boring for some reason as you wouldn't have thought we'd won 5-1:annoyed:

I think the reason for that is & please correct me if I'm wrong but that game was moved to a Sunday.due to something happening at the university.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hughton in. There is a great malaise, going back several years now, at our club (mainly the ingrained belief in passing sideways and backwards, slowly, just outside our penalty area in the futile belief that this is 'proper' football, and the misconception that anything that involves going forward at speed is hoof-ball), and it will take him time to turn it round.

Another top post by [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] .

You were right about Hughton, and the slow predictable football in much of time before he arrived.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You should see [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] on the Brexit thread. Always on the ball there too :O

Thank you (I think)! But I do try to keep the two separate - there are some posters on here I can have quite a reasonable debate with - except when on the Brexit thread. Anyway, I tend to try and keep away from that most of the time now - it's just the same old, same old, 'We're more intelligent than you and you don't know what you voted for bollox' - just often more vitriolic than that. Can't be ar8ed.........

larus

Thank you (I think)! But I do try to keep the two separate - there are some posters on here I can have quite a reasonable debate with - except when on the Brexit thread. Anyway, I tend to try and keep away from that most of the time now - it's just the same old, same old, 'We're more intelligent than you and you don't know what you voted for bollox' - just often more vitriolic than that. Can't be ar8ed.........

Same as that. The pathetic posts from the usual gang that Brexit voters are thick, racist, senile, etc. just makes any engagement pointless. Anyway, not long to go. We won’t stay in, there won’t be another referendum and Chequers won’t fly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Same as that. The pathetic posts from the usual gang that Brexit voters are thick, racist, senile, etc. just makes any engagement pointless. Anyway, not long to go. We won’t stay in, there won’t be another referendum and Chequers won’t fly.

Yep. And shall we now leave this thread for football, eh? Seems reasonable.......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here