Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jo Brand Comment

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just as well she didn't then. Nobody specific was mentioned at all, it's Nigel the Snowflake who has decided it was about him.

On Wednesday, the Brexit Party leader, who had a milkshake thrown at him while campaigning in Newcastle, accused Brand of inciting violence, although he did not say who against.

You were saying?

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/jo-brand-apologises-for-battery-acid-joke-after-police-launch-probe-into-comments-a4167166.html

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am neither supportive of Farage OR Brand but I do think that these things in a stand up act in a comedy club can be laughed off, but on more mainstream media they are dangerous.

Agree, which the other point is; why would the BBC put the show on mainstream TV without editing it out. This clearly demonstrates the double standards in the way the BBC is happy to work in its influential departments.

My first thought though was for victims of acid attacks like Katie Piper. It is probably the worst thing that could happen to someone so as a joke it's not even funny, but just allowing it for public broadcast is where the negligence lays more than Brand getting a joke wrong.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Much as the way positive statements change behaviour by normalising things such as same-sex marriage, trans rights, etc, small negative comments normalise bad behaviours.

Not saying that JB's comments will cause some to through acid at an MP but is does form part of a drip drip message that some people deserve to have acid thrown at them.

I am neither supportive of Farage OR Brand but I do think that these things in a stand up act in a comedy club can be laughed off, but on more mainstream media they are dangerous.

To be honest, I don't actually condone her comments whatever the context of the show (although I think it's ridiculous it wasn't edited out). I think they're poorly thought out at such a crucial time for our country with so many people on edge and so many looking to have their extreme views solidified or backed.

I just think it's ludicrous that there's been such a backlash against a comedian (and let's be honest, they ALL say stupid, irresponsible things with regularity, except maybe Michael McIntyre) when people such as Boris and Farage, and even Corbyn at times, are getting away with saying some pretty appalling things themselves without anywhere near the backlash. I mean Boris will probably end up being our PM for Christ sakes. So why is it he and Farage seem to be continually rewarded for the ridiculous shit that comes out of their mouths whilst a comedian is potentially being sacked for making a joke that's in poor taste?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I can't be bothered to read through pages of the usual squabbling, but could I ask whether anyone has pointed out that this is just a row between two Palace fans and that ergo we should all have nothing to do with it?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Agree, which the other point is; why would the BBC put the show on mainstream TV without editing it out. This clearly demonstrates the double standards in the way the BBC is happy to work in its influential departments.

My first thought though was for victims of acid attacks like Katie Piper. It is probably the worst thing that could happen to someone so as a joke it's not even funny, but just allowing it for public broadcast is where the negligence lays more than Brand getting a joke wrong.

Completely agree.

I have actually watched the filming of a comedy panel show featuring Gok Wan and Amy Childs (among others - 8 out 10 cats). He was hilarious, engaging and not at all how I expected. She said no more than 20 words in the entire filming. Almost all of his great stories, quips and jokes were edited out and every bland statement she made stayed in. No way that the show was edited to be as entertaining as possible... it was put together this some very specific agenda in mind.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Completely agree.

I have actually watched the filming of a comedy panel show featuring Gok Wan and Amy Childs (among others - 8 out 10 cats). He was hilarious, engaging and not at all how I expected. She said no more than 20 words in the entire filming. Almost all of his great stories, quips and jokes were edited out and every bland statement she made stayed in. No way that the show was edited to be as entertaining as possible... it was put together this some very specific agenda in mind.

Interesting. Brainwashing in the guise of comedy.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I generally like Jo Brand but I don't always like her comedy. That said, I thought the series 'Getting On' was very good. Well written, dark humour, reflective of her background as a psychatric nurse.

I heard this comment when it was first broadcast and remember thinking 'uh oh'. Apart from the fact it wasn't very funny, it was always going to create trouble. Very badly judged for a mainstream radio show at 6.30pm. On Frankie Boyle at 10pm? Fair enough I'd say. In a live comedy club? That would count as positively anodyne! But while very badly judged, I doubt it will be deemed criminal. Her immediate clarification that it was a joke rather suggests it won't count as incitement to violence.

I'd suspect that when these programmes are being recorded the various comedians will be competing hard to try and say things that will make the final cut, and I'd imagine that will mean pushing the boundaries, knowing that anything that is deemed unacceptable for broadcast will get left on the cutting room floor. So i am not suprised this kind of thing gets said but I am VERY suprised that it didn't get cut in the edit and I think that is where the real blame lies. As well as being inappropriate, it wasn't even funny. Should never have been in the final broadcast version.

Edit: Realised I hadn't read the thread and this point has been well made already. Never mind.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I'm sorry, but who in their right mind would think its anything like a joke to talk on National radio about throwing battery acid over someone. Whether its a good or bad joke its plainly wrong and not a joke to say something like this.

A very good point well made, who also thought it was good idea to broadcast the pre-recorded drivel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Your comment said that he threatened to rape her but he clearly did not. Why did you feel an overwhelming desire to lie? And what was the context to this bad joke?

The man literally said “I might cave” in regards to his previous comment about not wanting to rape her, he’s made these disgusting comments, and you’re quibbling over semantics? Unbelievable. But then again, by doing so you’re proving my point so please continue to act like an apologist.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Do you really think a comedian's comment is going to lead to loads of MPs having acid thrown over them? Because that's what you seem to be suggesting... whereas the far right movement that this country is currently seeing rise has led to increased levels of violence, hate and racism.

And of course it's caused a stir. The far right are desperate for anything to latch on to at the moment to enhance their case for extremism. The mere fact that Farage himself condemned what she said is a prime example of that utter hypocrisy, but also of the media attention they're getting.

But let's just be clear, Farage is in an actual position of power due to his media exposure as a politician in the current far right movement. Jo Brand is a comedian. History is full of politicians making decisions and saying things that have massive knock-on effects for normal people. Yet I don't ever remember the comments of a comedian leading to any form of war or political strife. Yet you have, somehow, managed to come to the utterly ridiculous conclusion that her comments are more dangerous than Farage's.

Oh bloomin' heck, Sussex!
Get real; as I have said, no one with half a brain is going to be stirred into acid throwing or joining a Dad's Army revolution by what has been said by Farage or Brand.I just happen to believe that in the current climate, Brand's words (I hesitate to say joke) could well be taken as being more inflammatory than Farage's, and they are certainly in worse taste.
Get off your political high horse and be honest with yourself.I just don't accept that you can genuinely be so foamed up at the gills about what I said!
Calm down and enjoy the weekend;I believe the weather is due to improve!:kiss:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Oh bloomin' heck, Sussex!
Get real; as I have said, no one with half a brain is going to be stirred into acid throwing or joining a Dad's Army revolution by what has been said by Farage or Brand.I just happen to believe that in the current climate, Brand's words (I hesitate to say joke) could well be taken as being more inflammatory than Farage's, and they are certainly in worse taste.
Get off your political high horse and be honest with yourself.I just don't accept that you can genuinely be so foamed up at the gills about what I said!
Calm down and enjoy the weekend;I believe the weather is due to improve!:kiss:

We'll agree to completely disagree. You've yet to put anything approaching a reasonable argument forward for your point of view and I don't expect that to change based on this interaction so far. Enjoy your weekend :albion2:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Now this is interesting; your "joke" statement is exactly the equivalent of what Jo Brand said. I don't imagine anyone thinks that you really believe she should be burnt, but if you do then they you are clearly mentally unwell.

Hey oneillco, I've just seen that both Knocky's Nose and I are 'clearly mentally unwell'.
This is a phrase you seem rather fond of.
Hmm, patients and asylum come to mind, Are you sure your conclusion is not one based on the patient diagnosing the staff? :D

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The man literally said “I might cave” in regards to his previous comment about not wanting to rape her, he’s made these disgusting comments, and you’re quibbling over semantics? Unbelievable. But then again, by doing so you’re proving my point so please continue to act like an apologist.

No, your comment clearly said that he threatened to rape her. These two have history, she has no time to discuss the high rates of male suicides and other men's issues and pretty much mocks it in the video below. You have just jumped into the middle of some twitter handbags. He made on stupid joke about not wanting to rape her in response to "something", and then after all fuss he made a second stupid joke saying he may cave in to pressure.

https://youtu.be/iRWUsn4yyJI

What he did not do was threaten to rape her as in your original claim. And by the looks of the video she sounds a bit of an arrogant bigot herself.

Jan 30, 2008
I can hardly believe the support Jo Brand has received on here. Last year in High Wycombe, where I live, a nurse sitting on a town centre bench enjoying a sunny day was sprayed with acid by an idiot on a bycycle riding to settle a score with someone else. She later died (of Sepsis directly attributable to the incident) and he got 15 years. And people like this Brand thing make jokes about this? OK, some macabre jokes can be funny, but not, surely, on a public broadcast? I believe that she was once a nurse. You really wouldn't want her looking after you, would you?

Don't be surprised ,this forum is polluted with liberal lefty do gooders who defend anyone spewing anti Brexit bile, everyone knows the BBC is biased against Brexit
regards
DR

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We'll agree to completely disagree. You've yet to put anything approaching a reasonable argument forward for your point of view and I don't expect that to change based on this interaction so far. Enjoy your weekend :albion2:

We will indeed have to agree to disagree.
I refute your suggestion that I haven't put forward a reasonable argument, but hey-ho, worse things happen than that.
No hard feelings!:thumbsup:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
No, your comment clearly said that he threatened to rape her. These two have history, she has no time to discuss the high rates of male suicides and other men's issues and pretty much mocks it in the video below. You have just jumped into the middle of some twitter handbags. He made on stupid joke about not wanting to rape her in response to "something", and then after all fuss he made a second stupid joke saying he may cave in to pressure.

https://youtu.be/iRWUsn4yyJI

What he did not do was threaten to rape her as in your original claim. And by the looks of the video she sounds a bit of an arrogant bigot herself.

I see. So she deserved it? And because it was someone who was right leaning it was just a joke and we shouldn’t take it seriously?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Hey oneillco, I've just seen that both Knocky's Nose and I are 'clearly mentally unwell'.
This is a phrase you seem rather fond of.
Hmm, patients and asylum come to mind, Are you sure your conclusion is not one based on the patient diagnosing the staff? :D

So you do actually believe that Jo Brand should be burnt? If that is what you really mean then I would conclude that you are mentally unwell. I assumed you were joking...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here