Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Why isn’t there a straight Pride?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Sensitive person-check
University student-check
EU Brussels internship-check

Wonder what turned Jack Renshaw into a paedophile nazi plotting political murders?

The EDL? The BNP? Take your pick. Again, someone who was radicalised because the likes of Tommy Robinson are given a platform to spew their hate.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In which case close this board down, close down the internet. Get rid of newspapers and TV. Anything could inspire atrocities, where do we draw the line if we take this approach?

Grow up, you apologist bell-end.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Words are powerful and we need to acknowledge that they can have disastrous consequences if they aren’t open to scrutiny. It’s about recognising that and understanding that freedom of speech isn’t a freedom to incite violence, hate or be free from criticism. And if it does it should be challenged and, in the worst cases, shut down.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true in theory, we both know that it can mean all things to all people - what one person might consider to be reasoned judgement, another might be desperate to take offence, be outraged etc etc. Knowing that you are well to the left, I am sure that your alleged scrutiny will not be totally free of any sort of bias as to what constitutes speech that "incites" hatred.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Has the label 'straight' derived from gay people being referred to as 'bent'?

If so, we really need to come up with a better word to label someone who's attracted to the opposite sex.

Yes, good point. Straight seems to infer that people attracted to the opposite sex are in some way on the right path, whereas others are not. Not sure what alternative there is. It reminds me of when I turned up in the 80s at a German campsite on the Baltic, when one half of the site was dressed and the other nudist, not that there was a dividing line! When we arrived, I was asked whether we wanted stoff ( material ie clothes, stuff) or FKK -the German initials for nudist. I was quite taken aback by the question, which I didn't hear properly, (mis) heard the Word Stoff and heard only that there was an 'o" in it, and so said "normal bitte." It didn't go down well, . .

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whilst this is undoubtedly true in theory, we both know that it can mean all things to all people - what one person might consider to be reasoned judgement, another might be desperate to take offence, be outraged etc etc. Knowing that you are well to the left, I am sure that your alleged scrutiny will not be totally free of any sort of bias as to what constitutes speech that "incites" hatred.

This idea that people are just waiting to be offended is simply ludicrous and, from experience, is often peddled by those who don’t like the fact they get called out for saying things that are casually racist, sexist, homophobic etc. Of course you’re right that I will always have bias due to my political leanings and my own moral compass, however I’d like to think I can see the difference between something I simply don’t agree with and someone perpetuating hateful views towards a race, gender, sexual orientation or religious belief.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
This idea that people are just waiting to be offended is simply ludicrous and, from experience, is often peddled by those who don’t like the fact they get called out for saying things that are casually racist, sexist, homophobic etc. Of course you’re right that I will always have bias due to my political leanings and my own moral compass, however I’d like to think I can see the difference between something I simply don’t agree with and someone perpetuating hateful views towards a race, gender, sexual orientation or religious belief.

Pretty much this. Racists, homophobes, mysoginists, hate it when their thoughts are considered as such. They hate being laughed at

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sensitive person-check
University student-check
EU Brussels internship-check

Thick as pig shit - check
Ponced off the tax payers for the majority of his life - check
Pathological liar and fantasist- check
Has absolutely nothing going on in his life so he completely and utterly defines himself with Brexit - big check
Never goes to Albion games - check.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Remember when you told a lad on here to act like a 'real man' by enforcing stereotypes and now you're pretending to be accepting of everyone? I do. You're a hypocritical bigot and it's sad to see.

Accepting of everyone? No. Nowhere near.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here