Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not familiar with the originals, enjoyed this but it feels a bit like David Brent in a different job? Almost identical awkward humour

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Partridge has been around for more than a decade before Brent was even thought of.
It would be hard to find the humour in this series of you are totally unaware of his other work.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Partridge has been around for more than a decade before Brent was even thought of.
It would be hard to find the humour in this series of you are totally unaware of his other work.
Well i think it's great. But has the humour always been horrendously awkward because Alan has delusions of grandeur? If so then Brent feels a bit of a fraud

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well i think it's great. But has the humour always been horrendously awkward because Alan has delusions of grandeur? If so then Brent feels a bit of a fraud

Alan is tremendously ambitious but constantly frustrated. The original radio series, Knowing Me, Knowing You is on iPlayer now but he had slots on The Day Today radio show prior to that. Or was it On The Hour? Anyhow, he transferred to telly for two series and some specials (that was good, genius in parts but not my favourite). He ballsed that up spectacularly and a few years later I’m Alan Partridge hit our screens , for my money the best AP has ever been. These two series covered his return to late night radio and his living in a Travel Tavern in Linton and later a static home next to his building site of a house.

These two series are flat out genius and contain most of the scenes the character is now famous for.

It alludes to a breakdown and divorce etc since leaving telly. I thought these were genius and I prefer it to his “chat show”.

The next 15 years saw a change of writers , tv specials, a film and the truly brilliant Mid Morning Matters tv series, where he works at North Norfolk digital radio presenting a mid morning radio show. I LOVED this.

There are a couple of books as well.

I envy you. I wish I could go back and discover it all for the first time! Enjoy!

I think he’s very different to Brent over the course of his “career”.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not familiar with the originals, enjoyed this but it feels a bit like David Brent in a different job? Almost identical awkward humour

Always on the backs of Giants sadly the David Brent character is no giant maybe a fla on the back of Alan .......not saying he has fleas but David would be far to big and would engender fears that he might squash Alan indeed as a giant Alan could easily carry the load a load of Brent's not a load of fleas.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Avoided this thread as hadn't seen the second episode until tonight.

Had to pause/rewind it three times because me and the sprog were crying with laughter and missed bits that the other saw. "Dad, a bloke fell off the stage! Rewind it rewind it!!!".

Absolutely brilliant.

Definitely need to watch again as there was so much quality in it.

**** you Partridge haters!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Alan is tremendously ambitious but constantly frustrated. The original radio series, Knowing Me, Knowing You is on iPlayer now but he had slots on The Day Today radio show prior to that. Or was it On The Hour? Anyhow, he transferred to telly for two series and some specials (that was good, genius in parts but not my favourite). He ballsed that up spectacularly and a few years later I’m Alan Partridge hit our screens , for my money the best AP has ever been. These two series covered his return to late night radio and his living in a Travel Tavern in Linton and later a static home next to his building site of a house.

These two series are flat out genius and contain most of the scenes the character is now famous for.

It alludes to a breakdown and divorce etc since leaving telly. I thought these were genius and I prefer it to his “chat show”.

The next 15 years saw a change of writers , tv specials, a film and the truly brilliant Mid Morning Matters tv series, where he works at North Norfolk digital radio presenting a mid morning radio show. I LOVED this.

There are a couple of books as well.

I envy you. I wish I could go back and discover it all for the first time! Enjoy!

I think he’s very different to Brent over the course of his “career”.
Brent is the Beatles to Alan's Wings.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
First ten minutes of episode two was superb from Coogan - irrespective of the gags it was an amazing performance. The unbuttoning of the jacket, the searching for a camera, every mannerism so bang on, of course all being carried along by Alan’s insane ambition, jealousy and self destructiveness. Got to be deluge of awards for that. Episode 2 could be the best bit of Partridge ever created.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
The second episode, particularly the second part with the guest may have been very uncomfortable viewing for certain TV figures. Nepotism and the 'we never knew' culture in the media brilliantly exposed.

Normally it's Alan as the focus of any wrongdoings but opening up the media this way was a very interesting move.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
First ten minutes of episode two was superb from Coogan - irrespective of the gags it was an amazing performance. The unbuttoning of the jacket, the searching for a camera, every mannerism so bang on, of course all being carried along by Alan’s insane ambition, jealousy and self destructiveness. Got to be deluge of awards for that. Episode 2 could be the best bit of Partridge ever created.

His lady co-presenter has been superb so far. The way she holds her expression on camera as Alan goes on, and the whole presenter schtick.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Re: the whole Brent/Office humour stuff, I remember years ago watching the IAP DVD with the commentary on (remember those). As I remember Iannucci, Coogan and Baynham made a few comments about the Office and having done it before. Or something like that. It was a while ago but gives me an excuse to post this.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

And that’s my problem really.

The satire is fantastic and Coogan is brilliant.

But it just wasn’t very funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I just watched episode 2, I thought it was brilliant. Much more of Alan when he’s not behind the camera. I prefer him away from the camera when he’s just being himself. I found it laugh out loud funny for half an hour.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I've always felt Partridge gets better with every watch, they'll always be little nuances you missed first time around. They age like wine.

I'm very much enjoying this new series, probably enjoy it even more in 2 years time watching on repeat for the tenth time

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've always felt Partridge gets better with every watch, they'll always be little nuances you missed first time around. They age like wine.

I'm very much enjoying this new series, probably enjoy it even more in 2 years time watching on repeat for the tenth time
Yes. Just watched episode 2 again and was pissing myself over bits that I'd not even noticed the first time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here