Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Stumbled across this yesterday but forgot to post it - Stones at their best...at the legendary Marquee much frequented by me as a youth, small club, Mick Taylor, Keef's teeth completely ****ed and Jagger taking things reasonably seriously

https://youtu.be/t87B4frtEh8

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
To say that this choice is just a little bit 'left field' for my usual musical taste is probably the understatement of the year. But I listen to everything and have to admit a liking for both The Spice Girls and Girls Aloud who both benefited from having great song writing and production teams behind them. Yes I suppose it helps that they are very attractive girls, but they could also sing pretty good as well. And may I add my best wishes to Sarah in her fight with cancer she's going through at the moment.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Without wishing to turn this excellent thread in to a political one, I'd like to post two versions of Strange Fruit, first sung my Billie Holiday, and the version I'm familiar with by UB40. I was doing a crossword and whilst researching to help me with an answer I came across an article about Billie Holiday where I learned of her original version.
After reading the Wikipedia page of Strange Fruit, I had to listen to the two versions and heard them in a completely different light now understanding the origin of the lyrics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGY9HvChXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPivoPoIvFw

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Without wishing to turn this excellent thread in to a political one, I'd like to post two versions of Strange Fruit, first sung my Billie Holiday, and the version I'm familiar with by UB40. I was doing a crossword and whilst researching to help me with an answer I came across an article about Billie Holiday where I learned of her original version.
After reading the Wikipedia page of Strange Fruit, I had to listen to the two versions and heard them in a completely different light now understanding the origin of the lyrics.

Have a listen to the Robery Wyatt's version. I won't break thread rules on this occasion and post it. It is quite something.

And, yes, a stunning and shocking song.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Have a listen to the Robery Wyatt's version. I won't break thread rules on this occasion and post it. It is quite something.

And, yes, a stunning and shocking song.

Robert Wyatt's version is more like the UB40 version, so I guess that's where the musical likeness comes from?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGY9HvChXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPivoPoIvFw

Thanks for posting this - amazing to hear the Billie Holliday original which I hadn't heard before either. I was familiar with/aware of the Nina Simone version which was pretty chilling in the way she delivered the song although I must admit I'd never listened to the words properly before. I think they're worth setting out:

The Southern trees bear a strange fruit
Blood on the leaves, and blood at the roots
Black bodies swinging in the Southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the 'Gallant South'
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolia, sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the tree to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Oi, respect the thread. There's only one best song you have heard today:facepalm:

In my defence, and quoting myself.....

Stumbled across this yesterday but forgot to post it - Stones at their best...at the legendary Marquee much frequented by me as a youth, small club, Mick Taylor, Keef's teeth completely ****ed and Jagger taking things reasonably seriously

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks for posting this - amazing to hear the Billie Holliday original which I hadn't heard before either. I was familiar with/aware of the Nina Simone version which was pretty chilling in the way she delivered the song although I must admit I'd never listened to the words properly before. I think they're worth setting out:

The Southern trees bear a strange fruit
Blood on the leaves, and blood at the roots
Black bodies swinging in the Southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the 'Gallant South'
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolia, sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the tree to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop

I was going to post the lyrics, but didn't bother as they were on the UB40 video. Much more hard hitting when you see all the lines together as above. Thank you for putting them here.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
The Signing Off LP was the first UB40 record I bought and still the best for me. I was going out with a girl in Birmingham at the time and it defines the era for me. Still love this track - thanks for making me play it today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here