Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Super market carparks should be solar power stations.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
:lol
'if a success' ?

Go to be trialled KG, and as yet I haven't seen too many solar panels outside your neighberhood vegan stores.:lol:
Anyway, do a bit of Googling and it appears Tesco and Sainsbury are already using solar panels on roofs where this practical.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You don't half get protective of your car don't you! Each to their own, of course :)

Cars are generally an expensive item to buy and most people don't want them unnecessarily damaged.
Each to their own, of course!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not a bad idea but the easy win would be the roofs of warehouses and large shops. However as long as developers aren't required to by planning policy, they won't due to the cost - however much I recommend them in reports.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
You mean like our local IKEA in Malaga? Provides shade for customers cars, powers the shop and feeds the grid at night. Just what's needed in the new Lancing store! solar-panels-used-as-roofs-to-shade-parking-bays-in-ikea-car-park-HG9WME.jpg

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You should get around more mate. Last year 3.4 % of UK power generation was solar (and that's not including roof-top panels on houses) - that's three times as much as we got from coal-powered stations

Excuse the pun, but , lighten up KG.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Why doesn't it? Aren't there now a million domestic solar generators?

Err... no it doesn't!

Apologies, it's the Jerez branch that feeds its entire production, 3 million KWh per year into the Spanish grid. IKEA Malaga has 9200 panels on its roof and car park and provides 66% of its energy needs.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Apologies, it's the Jerez branch that feeds its entire production, 3 million KWh per year into the Spanish grid. IKEA Malaga has 9200 panels on its roof and car park and provides 66% of its energy needs.

But how does it do it at night? Large batteries? That's the issue with solar. More useful in Spain mind where there is so much demand for air con.

28.7% of the UK's electricity was generated by Solar Power last (this?) year according to the BBC. That (pleasantly) surprised me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46602969
It says

"And in the UK category, the top stat was*28.7%*- the highest percentage of all electricity which was generated by solar power.

Solar power became the UK's number one source of electricity - beating gas and nuclear - at one point on 30 June, during the heatwave."

I think they have plucked that from a list of 365 different days of electricity production percentages, and that it only happened on one day.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
It says

"And in the UK category, the top stat was*28.7%*- the highest percentage of all electricity which was generated by solar power.

Solar power became the UK's number one source of electricity - beating gas and nuclear - at one point on 30 June, during the heatwave."

I think they have plucked that from a list of 365 different days of electricity production percentages.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

That makes more sense :) Forgive me being a :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alternatively, don't drive:-

[tweet]1074758514021752841[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here