Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Day trip to London - Help

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm afraid neither is rubbish.

Clapham serves as a useful point to get to Victoria, and everything bar Gatwick Express will stop there to help you get there. But Victoria is far from the most connected of London terminii for most of London and will require a change of line if using the tube (bus is better but obviously slower, and the whole place is a bloody building site). Slow trains to Waterloo stop there but most of the longer distance ones don't stop there, many are Woking then Waterloo, so if you were coming up from anywhere to the southwest of Woking (e.g. Portsmouth, Southampton, Waymouth, Salisbury) it's actually not that convenient to get to Clapham compared to just going into Waterloo.

As for the Underground, well there is no Underground station at Clapham (yet) and nor is there one conveniently close by (the Clapham ones being further east along the High Street. As the crow flies the nearest tube station to the Junction is Clapham south, a mile and a half away on foot. There is the Overground, however again for Central London it's terrible, involving most likely a change at West Brompton for the District line then probably another at Earl's Court to avoid being sent up toward Edgware Road.
Vic is OK, only 2 stops to Oxford Circus which is a pretty good central starting point for a day out.

Also think few people understand how walkable London is. If you're prepared to stroll about you can cover a lot of the City and get to see so much more. For example, probably a little over 4 miles will get you from say Harrods in the WE to Tower Bridge, if you want taking you through, say, St James Park, Green Park, Piccadilly, Covent Garden, St Paul's and the City.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm afraid neither is rubbish.

Clapham serves as a useful point to get to Victoria, and everything bar Gatwick Express will stop there to help you get there. But Victoria is far from the most connected of London terminii for most of London and will require a change of line if using the tube (bus is better but obviously slower, and the whole place is a bloody building site). Slow trains to Waterloo stop there but most of the longer distance ones don't stop there, many are Woking then Waterloo, so if you were coming up from anywhere to the southwest of Woking (e.g. Portsmouth, Southampton, Waymouth, Salisbury) it's actually not that convenient to get to Clapham compared to just going into Waterloo.

As for the Underground, well there is no Underground station at Clapham (yet) and nor is there one conveniently close by (the Clapham ones being further east along the High Street. As the crow flies the nearest tube station to the Junction is Clapham south, a mile and a half away on foot. There is the Overground, however again for Central London it's terrible, involving most likely a change at West Brompton for the District line then probably another at Earl's Court to avoid being sent up toward Edgware Road.

Thanks for that. I've only lived in the area for 20 years :)

Clapham Junction (it isn't in Clapham) has good connections to central London and/or tube stations.

It's also untrue that trains only go to Victoria. They also go to Waterloo.

There are very many trains to both. It's also a misnomer that Clapham Junction isn't well connected to the tube, since Balham is only 1 or 2 stops away with a quick interchange and there is also Clapham High Street (on the overland) which is opposite Clapham North.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Clapham Junction (it isn't in Clapham) has good connections to central London and/or tube stations.

There are very many trains to both. It's also a misnomer that Clapham Junction isn't well connected to the tube, since Balham is only 1 or 2 stops away with a quick interchange and there is also Clapham High Street (on the overland) which is opposite Clapham North.

Not forgetting the fact Clapham Junction is the busiest train station in the UK train wise

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Please don't try and trainsplain to me, you may wish to Google what A1X actually stands for.

I did say in the post you quoted that trains go to Waterloo. My comment was that the longer distance ones from beyond Woking don't generally stop at Waterloo, which is accurate and would cause issues to anyone coming up from (e.g.) Portsmouth.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Please don't try and trainsplain to me, you may wish to Google what A1X actually stands for.

I did say in the post you quoted that trains go to Waterloo. My comment was that the longer distance ones from beyond Woking don't generally stop at Waterloo, which is accurate and would cause issues to anyone coming up from (e.g.) Portsmouth.
You said (I quote) "Clapham is actually really terrible to get to central London", which it patently isn't since thousands are doing it every morning.

It may be terrible for you or not sensible from Brighton, but it obviously depends on where you are going.

You then made the irrelevant point that Clapham Junction hasn't a tube nearby.

It doesn't need one, you simply get on the myriad of trains that take to you to one and change.

But it's just the tube with phone reception.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Personally I found the View from the Shard awful. Far too busy, highly disorganised and took an hour of queuing just to get up there. When we came out they were saying the wait time was nearer two hours. The view really isn't worth a two hour wait. What I would suggest if you want to go up there is booking yourself into one of the restaurants, have yourself a bloody good feed and you get pretty much the same view without the hundreds of tourists and more importantly the ridiculous wait.

Something I found really enjoyable which surprised me was walking over the o2. Thought it would be rubbish but we did it at night and the view over to the docklands was amazing. Glass of fizz on the top was infinitely better than the equivalent in the Shard IMO.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Had an absolute quality day in London last Saturday.

Train to Waterloo - no problems
Canova Hall in Brixton - decent food and unlimited cocktails
Another pub near there, the name of which escapes me
The Top Secret Comedy Club in Drury Lane
Curry at Tayyabs in Whitechapel which was nice but not spectacular
Train back home

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had an absolute quality day in London last Saturday.

Train to Waterloo - no problems
Canova Hall in Brixton - decent food and unlimited cocktails
Another pub near there, the name of which escapes me
The Top Secret Comedy Club in Drury Lane
Curry at Tayyabs in Whitechapel which was nice but not spectacular
Train back home

The kids will love that!!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Personally I found the View from the Shard awful. Far too busy, highly disorganised and took an hour of queuing just to get up there. When we came out they were saying the wait time was nearer two hours. The view really isn't worth a two hour wait. What I would suggest if you want to go up there is booking yourself into one of the restaurants, have yourself a bloody good feed and you get pretty much the same view without the hundreds of tourists and more importantly the ridiculous wait.

Something I found really enjoyable which surprised me was walking over the o2. Thought it would be rubbish but we did it at night and the view over to the docklands was amazing. Glass of fizz on the top was infinitely better than the equivalent in the Shard IMO.

Would second the O2 walk - great fun.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have a look online for 'walking quiz tours' - we did one last year, was much better than I was expecting. Got to see loads of sights and learned a few things whilst ambling around
Thanks for the tip.

Just back from doing this around St Paul's and Smithfield, jolly good fun it was too.

We then afternooned at Covent Garden which was also very agreeable to the kids as they enjoyed all the street performers.

Ta muchly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the tip.

Just back from doing this around St Paul's and Smithfield, jolly good fun it was too.

We then afternooned at Covent Garden which was also very agreeable to the kids as they enjoyed all the street performers.

Ta muchly.

Good stuff.....the one we did was more around Westminster/Trafalgar Square/Piccadilly. Covent Garden is always good, as long as it's not too mobbed............

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff.....the one we did was more around Westminster/Trafalgar Square/Piccadilly. Covent Garden is always good, as long as it's not too mobbed............

T'is a funny old world.

On Wednesday Lil Miss Stat was told she'd been accepted in Christ's Hospital.
Today we had to go to Victoria from L'ton, past CHosp.
Then randomly did a quiz which happened to include 3 CHosp questions and ending at a CHosp sculpture.

I might learn some Vogon poetry and have a Pangalaticgargleblaster. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the tip.

Ta muchly.
I was heading into Brighton tomorrow under the impression the festival was still on, but it isn't.
So might head up to London.

There's another Walking Quiz available for Bond Street, but I'm not sure the kids are up for an almost identical day out to the last.
Although I'm sure they'd be happy enough to end up in Covent Garden again.

As is customary oh wise old NSC any suggestions would be greatly appreciated naturally the cheaper the better.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was heading into Brighton tomorrow under the impression the festival was still on, but it isn't.
So might head up to London.

There's another Walking Quiz available for Bond Street, but I'm not sure the kids are up for an almost identical day out to the last.
Although I'm sure they'd be happy enough to end up in Covent Garden again.

As is customary oh wise old NSC any suggestions would be greatly appreciated naturally the cheaper the better.

Wandsworth Prison museum.
https://www.better.org.uk/library/l...age-service/news/wandsworth-heritage-festival

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/
Well worth visit.

Or if you're up for this next weekend?

https://londoncheapo.com/events/london-naked-bike-ride/ (just you mind)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Three years ago Mrs P organised a Palace of Westminster tour for me. Absolutely loved it. Fortunately parliament was in recess at the time, so we got to go into both the House of Commons, and House of Lords as part of the tour.

You can get free tickets by contacting your MP

DETAILS HERE

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here