Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] On the spot fine

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can't say I have any sympathy. It's always amazed me the number of smokers that seem to think getting rid of their fag butt in the street isn't littering ..... even worse those that toss them out the car window. I don't smoke but I do drink, I assume it's OK for me to crush the empty can and shove it down the drain ? Of course not .... so why's it different for fag butts ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You make it sound like they only fine smokers! Open your eyes and look at the garbage lying around, I'm sure they fine others as well.

Really? Woodlands and hedgerows awash with fly-tipped litter (or just chucked out of car windows). Pursued and persecuted as vigorously as smokers, who are an easy touch for £75 and are generally regarded as pariahs with no rights anyway? I don't think so!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Can't say I have any sympathy. It's always amazed me the number of smokers that seem to think getting rid of their fag butt in the street isn't littering ..... even worse those that toss them out the car window. I don't smoke but I do drink, I assume it's OK for me to crush the empty can and shove it down the drain ? Of course not .... so why's it different for fag butts ?

No sympathy? Fair enough

I said its excessive IMO, not wrong. Putting a cigarette butt down a drain isnt the same as emptying an ashtray out of a window nor making the effort to crush a can and put it down the drain. Not quite the same thing

Worth £75 or £(40). Not from where I am sat. There isn't a victim per se. Its just a fine for the sake of it and a waste of money.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
According to the gov website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/enforcement-officers-issuing-fixed-penalty-notices

this bit here Give offenders the chance to pick up litter before you issue an FPN. Warn them that you will issue an FPN if they don’t., surely you shouldn't have been fined, nor the majority who drop a fag or whatever, as they weren't offered the chance to pick it up?

Someone must know on here.

Unfortunately, that is guidance, the law allows a stricter application, and councils need the fines to pay for the wardens, because Government has stripped funding back and capped council taxes. Councils look to make profits from operations now, gone is the idea that they provide us with services which we pay for through taxation.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You make it sound like they only fine smokers! Open your eyes and look at the garbage lying around, I'm sure they fine others as well.

:sigh: I wasnt fly tipping a mattress for example. It was a rollup end, in a drain. It did have a filter in to be fair which probably doesnt biodegrade wherever drains go. Have to be careful with sanitary towels and the like in future

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Drinkers can’t even be bothered to use the large bins provided at the Amex.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No sympathy? Fair enough

I said its excessive IMO, not wrong. Putting a cigarette butt down a drain isnt the same as emptying an ashtray out of a window nor making the effort to crush a can and put it down the drain. Not quite the same thing

Worth £75 or £(40). Not from where I am sat. There isn't a victim per se. Its just a fine for the sake of it and a waste of money.

You say it's excessive but didn't it have the desired effect to deter you next time?

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Unfortunately, that is guidance, the law allows a stricter application, and councils need the fines to pay for the wardens, because Government has stripped funding back and capped council taxes. Councils look to make profits from operations now, gone is the idea that they provide us with services which we pay for through taxation.

That is incorrect, the law is clear under the environmental Protection Act 1990, section 87, offence of leaving litter.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter in any place to which this section applies and leaves it

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm not sure it was still burning anyway. There was probably a bin in a 30 metre walk in any direction being in a town centre. The thought of going on the hunt for one didnt even cross my mind

Sadly that's why so many towns and cities are full of litter.

Not enough bins and too many people not bothered enough about their environment.
Although to be fair I would have thought putting it in the drain would be ok.
It's worse in Malta!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Sadly that's why so many towns and cities are full of litter.

Not enough bins and too many people not bothered enough about their environment.
Although to be fair I would have thought putting it in the drain would be ok.
It's worse in Malta!

I'd suggest that the op does care about the environment, hence him not just chucking it away in the road.

Ok, he now knows that it's not ok to put a fag butt in the drain, so he's learnt, as quite a few have via this thread, I reckon.

And let's be honest, this is a money spinner, better than even Barber out could have dreamed of.

Pound to a penny you won't see the CEOs outside a town centre pub on a Saturday night, fining groups of lads chucking away their fag butts.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
These officers are from 3GS a private sub-contractor to Brighton council. They are meant to be stopping litter but as the company pockets 2/3 of all the fines they get they seem to exclusively target smokers for quick money.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16196376.3gs-litter-wardens-target-foreign-students-in-brighton/

The firm is not paid but takes two-thirds of the fines they issue.

After their first six months of operation The Argus revealed the firm had issued 480 fines to smokers but only five for littering.

Quelle surprise.

Edit. Doesn't two-thirds written look less than a written 66.66%.....

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I know it's argumentative but I really couldn't give a f**k if op got fined. You have made a conscious decision to smoke in a public space and therefore it is ENTIRELY your responsibility to deal with the mess you make.

Whilst I am sure op is a decent bloke I have zero sympathy. There are tins you can get as mobile ashtrays or you can walk to a bin or stub it on a wall and take the butt home. Loads of options that a) don't make a mess of our towns and cities and b) don't cause expense for other people who have to clear up your sh*t.

With your right to smoke in a public place, comes your responsibility to clear up after yourself. Can't do the latter don't do the former
This idea that it is acceptable to drop your rubbish (and I include food wrappers, cans and other stiff, not just fag ends) where someone else has to deal with it needs to be stamped out.

And the idea that the drain is a magic, bottomless pit where sh*t just disappears is equally bad. It still has to be dealt with by someone!

Sorry OP, but asking people nicely doesn't work, hence the needs for real deterrents

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Fag ends are not biodegradable because of the crap they are manufactured from. Therefore you were fined for littering, and good riddance.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I know it's argumentative but I really couldn't give a f**k if op got fined. You have made a conscious decision to smoke in a public space and therefore it is ENTIRELY your responsibility to deal with the mess you make.

Whilst I am sure op is a decent bloke I have zero sympathy. There are tins you can get as mobile ashtrays or you can walk to a bin or stub it on a wall and take the butt home. Loads of options that a) don't make a mess of our towns and cities and b) don't cause expense for other people who have to clear up your sh*t.

With your right to smoke in a public place, comes your responsibility to clear up after yourself. Can't do the latter don't do the former
This idea that it is acceptable to drop your rubbish (and I include food wrappers, cans and other stiff, not just fag ends) where someone else has to deal with it needs to be stamped out.

And the idea that the drain is a magic, bottomless pit where sh*t just disappears is equally bad. It still has to be dealt with by someone!

Sorry OP, but asking people nicely doesn't work, hence the needs for real deterrents

It's ironic really in the sense that if I see other people's litter on the floor I quite happily pick it up and put it in a bin sometimes or tell someone they have dropped something. I didn't give putting a cigarette but down a drain a second thought

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here