Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Unknown Warrior......Lest we forget

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Walking around the countryside around Albert the amount of munitions stacked next to the road is astonishing. Shells of all sizes, Piles of hand grenades. I read somewhere that we fired a million duds. They will be finding them for years. Have also read, some of the big mines, didnt go off.. One went off in the 50s killing a family out having a picnic, although have also read that only a cow was killed. but they are not sure where the other two are exactly

Last edited:

The Iron Harvest. They expect to be still digging up munitions for years to come. The collection of shells is all very organised and the farmers know exactly what to do. The tourists however need constant reminding that this stuff is still volatile. If a shell doesn't blow your hand off a toxic substance is likely to do you great harm.

I was in Ypres with a mate and his two sons a few years back, we noticed the munitions piled up at the edges of fields normally next to telegraph poles.

At one point we had stopped next to one to consult a map and were having a heated debate as to which way to go when we noticed one of his sons had picked one up and was about to luzz it at his brother.

Oh how we laughed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do believe that our very own [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] had a relative who was one of the Pall Bearers that carried The Unknown Warrior into Westminster Abbey.

As I have mentioned before my Grandad Sgt Stephen Clark was the NCO in charge of the pall bearing party and on old footage from the news he can be seen at the rear of the party on his own. My mum had the letter that his CO received from Winston Churchill later to become Sir requesting his leave of absence to perform the duties at Westminster Abbey. When my mum passed away so many of his great grand children wanted the letter that my brother and I decided to donate it along with his army documents and pay book to the Royal Artillery Museum, where it can still be viewed now.

As I have mentioned before my Grandad Sgt Stephen Clark was the NCO in charge of the pall bearing party and on old footage from the news he can be seen at the rear of the party on his own. My mum had the letter that his CO received from Winston Churchill later to become Sir requesting his leave of absence to perform the duties at Westminster Abbey. When my mum passed away so many of his great grand children wanted the letter that my brother and I decided to donate it along with his army documents and pay book to the Royal Artillery Museum, where it can still be viewed now.

I would burst with pride every time I re-told that if it was my Great Grandfather.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

It must be a very proud memory for your family, BG. Do you happen to know why your grandfather was picked specifically? Your post reads as though Churchill's letter specifically requested your grandfather's presence at the ceremony, rather than just any Sgt. So.... why?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It must be a very proud memory for your family, BG. Do you happen to know why your grandfather was picked specifically? Your post reads as though Churchill's letter specifically requested your grandfather's presence at the ceremony, rather than just any Sgt. So.... why?

I am very proud of him but dont know why the letter just asked for permission for him to be released to take charge of the party and no reason was given, It could and probably was just drawn out of the hat as we have no record of him doing anything to be picked out specifically. It may be that like many he lied about his age and joined the 1st world war at 14 giving an incorrect age so served in both WW1 and WW II in the Artillery. Some may consider it a bad moment but mum told me that grandad took me to my first Albion game at The Goldstone for my 3rd birthday, she wasnt certain whether it was 2nd or 3rd. So he was responsible for me being a supporter.:clap:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I know this is off topic a bit and completely unlikely, but I bet the people who did this would never
have guessed that in 2018, we could find out who this person is through DNA. That is a little scary. .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brilliant thread. Thanks for posting [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

:bowdown:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Went to one of the smaller cemetries near Ypres a few years back.I had not planned to go to it but found it when we were out driving and stopped and walked around probably 1000 graves but a really strange, numbing feeling. Then drove on not far and found the next one, then the next one.

Its surreal really and does generate very mixed feelings. Certainly great sadness.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Both my brother and I, being the sole survivors who knew grandad are extremely proud of this happening but unfortunately we have never been able to find out why he was chosen to be the senior NCO of the burial party as he never mentioned it and neither did my gran, his wife or indeed did my mother. It appeared to be just something that he was told to do and so he did it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just read the museum is closed in 2016, but is reopening in Wiltshire in a couple of years.

Can anyone confirm ?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nice touch from Portsmouth City Council who've put a memorial sign on every street that lost someone and gives the house number they lived in.

45421938_2005487429545256_8893177008427630592_n.jpg

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Wow. What a story. How proud you must be.:salute:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Didn't know the details of this. Great thread. Thanks Alf and also BG.

Never forget.

I'd also like to say how pleased I was re how the subject of WW1 was taught in my son's primary school. They studied it when they were 8 years old and it was done really, really well. We talked about it a lot and I'm sure other parents did the same so that the next generation will still always understand the horror, the bravery and the sacrifice of that one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here