Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I agree with you here somewhat (and thanks to [MENTION=16091]BrickTamland[/MENTION] for giving some good suggestions on what people can do) - to an extent we are helpless as individuals as to what we can actually do as our individual impact is so tiny compared to big organisations and governments. But this is the reason why people are protesting! They feel there's only so much they can do on their own and the government need to take actions to make real change. To get this to happen, the issue has to get more publicity and get more people behind it, to vote in parties who support policies that will deal with it.

We can't just go on having all parties mention it as a side note in their manifestos, committing to relatively feeble measures, just to make them look 'green'. We need large scale change now and it needs to come from governments.

While that is the usual aim of all publicity, inconveniencing literally hundreds of thousands of potential supporters is hardy going to "get people behind it."

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They’ll be a point when the largest corporations (those whose changes would make a significant difference, and set trends) realise that a green focus is the profitable focus. The infinite potential of green and renewable energy will start to oust fossi fuels as the main profit maker. It’s sad saving the plantet isn’t a large enough motivating factor in of itself but I think there is some hope. It starts with the consumer though - we need to vote with our wallets when it comes to energy and food. Profit is tangible and should enact change.

We also need to stop investing in companies that destroy the planet, hold them accountable and demand answers..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Powerful stuff from Attenborough BBC Climate Change: The Facts

Some pretty hard hitting facts, the climate change deniers will have hated every minute of it.

I see Heathrow is being targeted tomorrow, the airport the government would like to expand and have the same carbon footprint as the country of Portugal

D

Deleted member 22389

There are loads of things you can do. You can take bags shopping, you can walk or cycle for most journeys under a mile, you can save electricity and water wherever possible etc etc

It seems to me that some people are very good at demanding others do what they want (make teachers responsible for their kids, make MPs implement an impossible Brexit etc), but not so good at doing their bit where they actually can.

So unless I'm missing your context or something, your post strikes me as absolutely feeble.

That's a little unfair to say my efforts are feeble, because I'm doing as much as anyone else. My issue has always been whether this makes any difference. I always feel that for all the good things I do, somebody or some company on the other side of the globe just wipes that out.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's a little unfair to say my efforts are feeble, because I'm doing as much as anyone else. My issue has always been whether this makes any difference. I always feel that for all the good things I do, somebody or some company on the other side of the globe just wipes that out.

To be fair, I do share that concern. It doesn’t stop me doing all I can but yes, corporations and governments need to be forced into change.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for your intelligent contribution to this crisis. I’m sure if we all sit down and talk like we have done for 50 years we will find a solution by, what, 3000? But in case we all burn before then as predictions indicate....Let me ask, do you believe it’s a national emergency? If not, see you in hell. But If you do, then you should understand that - as with ww2, about the only near precedent - massive sacrifices must be made. Immediately. Almost beyond anything living generations can comprehend. I mean most people’s idea of emergency is going without their wi fi for a day. That’s how ridiculously out of touch we’ve become. It’s going to take a heck of a lot more and we need to start getting used to what we’ve become utterly, but unnecessarily, dependent upon. Like travelling hundreds of miles to watch a game of football for 90minutes on a fortnightly or more basis without anyone else in the car. We’ve got to challenge our way of thinking. Radically. Sneering and sniping from the sidelines is so depressing and sadly quite normal. So we must legislate. Can’t leave it to voluntary contributions. People are too weak and caught up in their everyday lives to take notice. Stick a donut in front of me and I’ll probably eat it. Don’t give me the option and I can’t. You get my drift, trying to keep stuff simple because there’s a lot of simple people out there some of whom might read NSC ;)

You sarcastically thank me for my intelligent contribution to the crisis, for which I shall be eternally grateful.
The point is, there is no point in entering long discourses with fanatics like yourself.
Just take the time to read through your posts on this thread. Do you really think that your proposals are practical and attainable? Well, if you do, you are more deluded than I thought. As for the demonstrators in London, carbon neutral by 2025? Get real and take a minute to realise what this fantasy would involve.
In the meantime, have a lovely Easter. What have you got lined up? Perhaps a long walk to Heathrow to try and disrupt the holidays of thousands of ordinary people? Bravo!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That is true, it can feel futile. However, the more we change, the more those around us change, the bigger the impact. Take the programme last night regarding cows and lambs, we've not become vegetarian overnight, but we have massively cut down on buying beef or lamb in particular, and have really moved toward a meat based meal being a treat rather than a daily necessity. It's also expensive, so it's saved on our weekly shop. If everyone moves in these directions, the collective impact will be significant.

As consumers, if we start making informed choices, from our appliances, to clothing, to our everyday purchases, markets will be forced to react.

Most of it does save you money. Buying less stuff, buying less meat, insulating your home and spending less heating it, etc. etc. That is where we have to have hope it can work, because financially we can all save money doing these things.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That is true, it can feel futile. However, the more we change, the more those around us change, the bigger the impact. Take the programme last night regarding cows and lambs, we've not become vegetarian overnight, but we have massively cut down on buying beef or lamb in particular, and have really moved toward a meat based meal being a treat rather than a daily necessity. It's also expensive, so it's saved on our weekly shop. If everyone moves in these directions, the collective impact will be significant.

As consumers, if we start making informed choices, from our appliances, to clothing, to our everyday purchases, markets will be forced to react.

Most of it does save you money. Buying less stuff, buying less meat, insulating your home and spending less heating it, etc. etc. That is where we have to have hope it can work, because financially we can all save money doing these things.

Hi Bold, I didn't see the programme last night, but can't disagree with what you are saying.
Our evening meals are largely based on chicken and fish. We are very fortunate to have excellent supplies of local fish, literally almost at the bottom of our garden!
We could never become veggies, but lamb and beef are real treats that we indulge in on occasion. I must admit, this is more from a health than environmental point of view though.
I think most people are conscious of energy saving these days; except perhaps for some youngsters who don't know what a jumper is and wander around the house in a t-shirt, complaining of the cold!
My beef ( excuse the pun) is with the fanatics, who are beyond reasoning with, and want to beat us with the doom laden stick and impractical nonsense.
Generally humans react better to the carrot than the stick, I reckon.
Not sure about the Albion though.......perhaps some very tough love!:wink::lolol:

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Some pretty hard hitting facts, the climate change deniers will have hated every minute of it.

I see Heathrow is being targeted tomorrow, the airport the government would like to expand and have the same carbon footprint as the country of Portugal

Expansion is based on carbon neutral growth,part of this is based on the restoration of peat fields which has already started in Lancashire.This along with much cleaner planes and other initiatives should help to cut not increase carbon emissions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To be fair, I do share that concern. It doesn’t stop me doing all I can but yes, corporations and governments need to be forced into change.

corporations and government are acting on our behalf, fulfill our wants and desires. the public need to change. and a bit of recycling and walking to the shops isnt going make a difference.
no more air travel, no more ICE vehicles, no more commuting to work, no more concreate, no more shipping, reduce manufacturing, fewer consumables, use local produce, more solar, wind turbines, nuclear power, flood some valleys for energy storage. then ask the Indians, Chinese and other massive developing nations to do the same.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You sarcastically thank me for my intelligent contribution to the crisis, for which I shall be eternally grateful.
The point is, there is no point in entering long discourses with fanatics like yourself.
Just take the time to read through your posts on this thread. Do you really think that your proposals are practical and attainable? Well, if you do, you are more deluded than I thought. As for the demonstrators in London, carbon neutral by 2025? Get real and take a minute to realise what this fantasy would involve.
In the meantime, have a lovely Easter. What have you got lined up? Perhaps a long walk to Heathrow to try and disrupt the holidays of thousands of ordinary people? Bravo!

Deluded you say - this is why it’s so hard? Because we’ve got to do things not comprehendible to most thinking. Your argument typifies what people have said for a millennium in response to great challenges. Urgency and determination as Attenborough said last night. I’m afraid I don’t share your defeatist narrow minded inaction. I fully expect millions like you to sit and moan whilst the planet heats which is why those in power have to regulate and force change with bold vision. Otherwise the planet will be ruined and people like you will die. And we wouldn’t want that, even if you’re just going to add to the hot air we’re trying to reduce!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Deluded you say - this is why it’s so hard? Because we’ve got to do things not comprehendible to most thinking. Your argument typifies what people have said for a millennium in response to great challenges. Urgency and determination as Attenborough said last night. I’m afraid I don’t share your defeatist narrow minded inaction. I fully expect millions like you to sit and moan whilst the planet heats which is why those in power have to regulate and force change with bold vision. Otherwise the planet will be ruined and people like you will die. And we wouldn’t want that, even if you’re just going to add to the hot air we’re trying to reduce!

People will not change.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
a bit of recycling and walking to the shops isnt going make a difference.

Maybe you should think about doing the right thing as opposed to fretting over making a difference? Irrespective of all the arguments about climate, footprints etc I think it it wrong to waste stuff and/or throw items away. I have yet to hear a convincing argument against this. And regardless of whether I make a difference I prefer to do the right things in life. Being wasteful is wrong.

Eg Surely it’s clear that using the same cup at the coffee shop, as opposed to 240 waxed paper cups and lids which need to be manufactured and transported to the shop and then disposed of each and every year, is preferable? Likewise plastic carrier bags. Irrespective of the climate argument.....surely this is the right thing to do? I’m more driven by this.....but there’s also an obvious environmental benefit as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe you should think about doing the right thing as opposed to fretting over making a difference? Irrespective of all the arguments about climate, footprints etc I think it it wrong to waste stuff and/or throw items away. I have yet to hear a convincing argument against this. And regardless of whether I make a difference I prefer to do the right things in life. Being wasteful is wrong.

agreed, and this is good for general environmental concerns and simply being conscientious. im not suggesting dont recycle, walk to the shops, just that it wont help CO2.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Eg Surely it’s clear that using the same cup at the coffee shop, as opposed to 240 waxed paper cups and lids which need to be manufactured and transported to the shop and then disposed of each and every year, is preferable? Likewise plastic carrier bags. Irrespective of the climate argument.....surely this is the right thing to do? I’m more driven by this.....but there’s also an obvious environmental benefit as well.

Yep, I’ve had a real word with myself as I’m a coffee addict and guilty of takeaway cups. I either now drink in or bring takeaway cup; if I forget my takeaway cup, then I forfeit altogether. That’s now my tough luck. It’s as much about getting organised as anything else, bit like taking a bag to the shops all the time - just like my grandparents did! But I’d legislate so that takeaway cups are banned altogether. Coffee shops should not be allowed to provide. Be good for people to slow down and have 5-10mins drinking in like they do in Europe. Italy has almost no zero takeaway coffee culture. They find it odd we can’t wait to run away and sip as we walk around doing something else. It is rather bizarre when you analyse.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
If anyone is fortunate enough to be in a position to do so there are plenty of green investment platforms out there. Vegan food is such a great investment right now, huge growing market and a lot of innovation both now and still to come. Even if you don’t want to commit to full on veganism yourself, it’s a great way to help and a nice little earner too (potentially, of course).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here