Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Words we mustn't utter or type or probably even think

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Apparently being "white" and "middle class" here in the Colonies (thats probably wrong as well) is non PC and to top it all, I am "privileged"
With all that it seems I am going to hell according to some. :facepalm:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
"the PC brigade"...:annoyed:

Anything the PC brigade have now decided is wrong.

Mustn’t refer to gender - just in case.
Mustn’t say coloured when we mean black.
Mustn’t say mixed race when we mean dual heritage.

And so on...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's interesting iv'e seen the word Queer mentioned as some sort of blasphemy , i bumped in to one of my who i assumed still gay mates last weekend and he seemed a bit miffed that i was not up with the times knowing he was now Queer not gay ! i admit it's not the first thing i ask alexa in the morning but Queer according to Taffy Sean , my mate is now the preferred terminology , is this true ? or have i been set up in such a way that he knew at some point i couldn't resist asking :lolol:

I don't belong to any of the LGBTQ communities myself so I'm guessing here but 'queer', I believe, encapsulates many possible definitions. ie you could be gay or lesbian or trans or whatever but would rather identify as 'queer' than identify solely as "I am a gay man" or whatever. I guess its a way of not being labelled as one thing or the other specifically.

Could be waaaaaay off base but it makes sense in my head.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I have never understood that...if firemen are firefighters( which was an American thing wasn't it) why aren't the police called criminalsfighters?

Possibly something to do with 'police' being both a noun and a verb.

The police force police the populace. Firefighters fight fires.

Words are weird.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Ciao" - if you're not Italian then just f**k right off, you fawning pretentious prick.

"Weatherbomb" being used to describe a spell of adverse weather. I mean piss up a stick. In fairness I've only ever seen this word in dogshit rags like the Mail and the Express, I've never actually heard anyone SAY it. But if I do, I shall not be held responsible for my actions.

People say 'supper' when they mean 'dinner'. I agree with [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION].

You wouldn't invite someone over to share a cheese sandwich at nine in the evening. You'd invite them over for dinner, and probably earlier, unless you're, e.g., Italian or Brazilian.

Surely you mean "tea".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I caught a few minutes of a programme on racism and several lads referred to the P-word. It took me a moment to think what they were talking about before I realised. Obviously the N-word was taken a while ago and the C-word or C-bomb, which got me wondering how many other words cannot be said, even in a wider discussion, which are now only to be referred to by their first letter. I must admit that once I realised what the P-word might refer to, it crossed my mind that it may be an attempt to put it on the same level as the N-word rather than trying to eradicate it from people's vocabulary. But that's another question altogether.

I always thought the P-word is Prosecco?

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
My daughter was born profoundly DEAF. She calls herself deaf. I say she is deaf. All her friends and relations call her deaf. She went to Mary Hare School for the Deaf. However, a few years back she and I were given a severe talking to by medical professionals. At first I was really pleased to find out she was no longer deaf. But the shine was firmly taken off that news when I was told she was 'hearing impaired' and should be referred to as such. For god's sake - she is deaf. If every Concorde ever built flew together over her head she wouldn't hear anything. She's deaf. We'd both be happier if money was spent on tackling deafness rather than coming up with new names for it which the PC brigade deem to be more acceptable. (To whom?)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Any swear word with a random prefix or suffix bolted on to it in an attempt to make the user seem... interesting, I guess?

Cockwomble, wankpuffin, thunderc*nt etc etc. :sick:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
They also use to use the term "feeble minded" which was a medically recognised term and there even used to be hospitals and institutions specifically for the "feeble minded" but mainly in the US. It was a term strongly associated with the so called science of eugenics

Don't forget that the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath is on the site of the former Sussex County Lunatic Asylum - also variously known as the Sussex County Asylum, Haywards Heath Asylum, Brighton Borough Asylum, Brighton Mental Hospital - a plaque is still there proudly proclaiming the fact. To be fair, I believe that Boroughs were required to build / provide such places in the 1800s

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely you mean "tea".

Breakfast, dinner and tea was what I grew up with
Breakfast, lunch and dinner is what I acquired as part of the middle classness I had to adopt in my career
Pilates, brunch and supper are for hysterical nutweasels who own everything and understand nothing.

:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here