Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Lobster in Brighton / Hove

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Native Lobster is best caught and eaten in the Summer months.

I can relate to that. I remember being in Cornwall during the summer a few years ago with my (now) ex and a few friends. We went down to a restaurant on the quayside in Port Isaac to book the table for the next day.

I asked what they did; what was on their menu. "Don't know. We haven't caught it yet."

I asked if a couple of lobsters were due to be caught. "Ar. Expect so..."

The fella dressed the lobster wonderfully (no tittering at the back), and served it supremely. One of the best meals I've ever had. Cost? £11.00 a lobster.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Crab is way superior to lobster.

Any decent chef will tell you this.
I don't trust you, because you didn't say 'any chef worth his salt'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A 12 year old wanting lobster. Excellent parenting Sir! She’ll be as pretentious as me by the time she’s 16.
To be fair, when her hormones have taken over and she's screaming at everyone who doesn't agree with her, she'll be just like you :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is ironical that I was talking to my brother in law, a fisherman with his own boat, yesterday and he was saying exactly the same as we were discussing French fishing boats fishing off our shores and the number of French lorries with 40ft trailers who take fish from Aldrington back to France.
How are they being allowed to do that? Are they outside the distance limit?

This thread has got me looking at Lobster Thermidor recipes, so some good comes from it.
Oh thank goodness. A nice meal for a 12-year-old on her birthday is a bit meaningless if BG hasn't got something out of the thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How are they being allowed to do that? Are they outside the distance limit?
I'll save you the pain of a BG reply, this came up on the Brexit thread.

Europe can fish in 'our' waters, just as we can fish in theirs.

If we get to 2020 (I think) without a deal on fishing then our waters will be off-limits to France, Spain, Eire etc.
Yay British fish for British tea.

But wait, there's something not quite right here, even allowing for BG's fertile (or should that be futile) imagination...

... lorries taking the catch back to the continent. :shrug:

The 4 main fish caught in UK waters are:-

Cod
Haddock
Mackerel
&
Herring

The first 2, obviously we keep, only exporting 10-20% of the catch to Europe.
The other 2 catches are almost exclusively exported to Europe.

So if we reach 2020 with no deal on fishing, we get to keep all our cod & haddock :clap:, as we do already.
But also millions of tonnes of mackerel and herring. :down:

"Tonight's tea is Rollmop surprise"
"The surprise part being we're having Rollmops, again".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I ran The Albion in Fishersgate for a short while in 1999/20 for a holding company and on many occasions we saw French fishing boats that were near enough to the harbour to be able to read their names and see their flags and when ever I visited the fish merchants there seemed to always be about 4 large 40ft trailer lorries in the car park with French number plates. I did ask why so much went to France and was told it was because the English didnt want to buy it, whether that was true or not i do not know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, when her hormones have taken over and she's screaming at everyone who doesn't agree with her, she'll be just like you :wink:

:lolol:

To be fair, this is funny.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I ran The Albion in Fishersgate for a short while in 1999/20 for a holding company and on many occasions we saw French fishing boats that were near enough to the harbour to be able to read their names and see their flags and when ever I visited the fish merchants there seemed to always be about 4 large 40ft trailer lorries in the car park with French number plates. I did ask why so much went to France and was told it was because the English didnt want to buy it, whether that was true or not i do not know.

Sounds about right. Different cultures have different palates.

The Spanish get their prawns lorried down from Scotland. Lord Bracknell used to say on here about herring (landed in Harwich) was very popular in Tuscany. And so on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll save you the pain of a BG reply, this came up on the Brexit thread.

Europe can fish in 'our' waters, just as we can fish in theirs.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure there can be a little more to it than that, as there was news a month or two back of French fisherman attacking British boats that were fishing near the French coast, while the French navy watched. In that report they said that the British were allowed to fish up to a certain distance from the French coast, but not right up to it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So if we reach 2020 with no deal on fishing, we get to keep all our cod & haddock :clap:, as we do already.
But also millions of tonnes of mackerel and herring. :down:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mackerel or herring. In fact one of the best fish dishes I've ever had was mackerel at the Little Fish Market. The herring served up in Amsterdam is a delight as well. It's only because too many of the British think the only fish worth eating is the stuff they get at the 'chippy' that other fish is looked down on in the way you just have. Basically they're fish philistines !

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mackerel or herring. In fact one of the best fish dishes I've ever had was mackerel at the Little Fish Market. The herring served up in Amsterdam is a delight as well. It's only because too many of the British think the only fish worth eating is the stuff they get at the 'chippy' that other fish is looked down on in the way you just have. Basically they're fish philistines !

Mackerel is an excellent and versatile fish; tastes good fried, baked, smoked or raw.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Thank you. I'm pretty sure there can be a little more to it than that, as there was news a month or two back of French fisherman attacking British boats that were fishing near the French coast, while the French navy watched. In that report they said that the British were allowed to fish up to a certain distance from the French coast, but not right up to it.

That last maritime punch-up was over scallops, not lobster - basically the French say do not fish them for a couple of months per year, the Brits say stuff that, rip them up every single day. Hence the tiff, I believe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here