Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Leaks new Super League etc

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I expect Palace will be hoping to join them. European superstars and all that.

With many of their players earning well over £100k per week, I suspect they’ll need the money from this new league, especially if they want to redevelop their dump.

Surely player like Meyer-the-German-Messi & Benteke can ensure they reach the top 6 and are able to join this cartel?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This has been floated on the quiet between the big boys for some time, it's as usual, all about money.

Eventually it will get off the ground as we are becoming ever more global. I fully expect some travelling circus type tournament where games are played all over the world with the teams flying in and out and rarely playing at home.

We could bus Man Utd out to Asia now tbh.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
See ya later i say. Might make the premier league more interesting and affordable for people.

If this is how the bubble bursts then so be it. With a little gumption and creativity football in European countries can survive and flourish.

Funny how the big players in Europe opt to join a European organisation as the rest of the country leaves another.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I wonder what the genuine fans of the top 5 think. Do they seriously think these games will be played in their own cities.
This tournament will be franchised out. Games in NYC, LAX, BKK etc. Once they have escaped EUFA that can do as they wish.
Sympathy though, they clearly do not have enough money, and have to maximise revenue streams. The actual fans don’t even figure in the decisioning. Expect more Phoenix clubs.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The big 4 will want to keep their reserves in the Prem league in order to hoover up any cash left in the domestic game.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And where do you think the money will go?

Best way to stop it would be for FIFA to give lifetime bans to players in an unsanctioned leagues.

hmm, play for millions a year or play for country... decisions, decisions.

i expect this to be another round of getting more money out of UEFA, or other favourable terms for the big clubs. they cant seriously want to abandon their national leagues, and i dont believe that would work for them anyway.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I wonder what the genuine fans of the top 5 think. Do they seriously think these games will be played in their own cities.
This tournament will be franchised out. Games in NYC, LAX, BKK etc. Once they have escaped EUFA that can do as they wish.
Sympathy though, they clearly do not have enough money, and have to maximise revenue streams. The actual fans don’t even figure in the decisioning. Expect more Phoenix clubs.

Reading the United forum, the majority are against the idea. Liverpool fans also against the idea.

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
One of the ideas Infantino was pushing was to increase the amount of teams in the Club World Cup and also move the tournament from December to July/August each year, but he backed away from this idea last week after encountering problems with Uefa who were opposed to the idea as they felt it would impact on the commerciality of their very own Champions League. Interesting that it's only since that ideas been shot down that these leaks appear...

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Since when were fans opinions considered important by foreign owned clubs ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bcause that is the TV viewers, if people wont watch, TV companies won't pay for TV rights. This will probably bankrupt some of the big clubs.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Lets see how many people continue to turn up at Old Trafford and The Emirates when they are getting f#cked every week and sitting at the bottom of the League.

It will be like Jean Paul Ghetti - Loads of money and no mates

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Looking on twitter, seems a lot of European fans are also against the idea

No surprise that 'football' fans are against the idea but unfortunately we have no say in the matter. Foreign owners and tv companies will be making the decision in the best interest of only those involved. Let's be honest, these foreign owners aren't in for the sporting competition, it's money money money.

If the likes of Uefa see this as a threat to their authority, ie the big rich clubs want to make the rules, then they and Fifa should ban players that sign for these leagues. If you're a player then you might have a four year income and if the club dump you that's it, no more earnings. Would make it very difficult for them.

It might well be that this is really a smokescreen for a power grab, ie threaten to breakaway unless Uefa give more concessions, for example, relaxing FFP!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It will happen if the big clubs find a way to bribe/persuade UEFA that they should do it. However, I don't think an American style league - which is what this would be with effectively a fixed set of teams - would work in Europe in the same way that it also wouldn't in England for the Premier League.

If the clubs are faced with the choice of either going Super League only - withdrawing from the Premier League - then I don't think they will do it. But if they can convince/bribe UEFA to let them do a differently formatted Champions League then there's a chance.

What UEFA would do is allow entrance based on the coefficients of the previous ten years in Europe or so rather than the previous years performance in the domestic leagues. That way you get the big clubs more or less guaranteed a place but still a facade of merit rather than money getting you a place. Something like "get to the quarter finals and you are guaranteed a place in next years tournament".

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
By the look of it, going to be about more than just the plans for the new super league that is getting leaked (though that it is the attention grabbing bit so far)

http://www.spiegel.de/international...t-germain-gianni-infantino-a-1236277-amp.html

Starting today, DER SPIEGEL, in cooperation with 14 other European news organizations, will publish a series of disclosures about the "dirty deals" of the football world. Dozens of articles will dive deep into the business of European football -- a billion-euro industry.

The revelations of the coming weeks will also show the unvarnished face of "football capitalism," which in many ways is not unlike a debt-financed speculative bubble. It spreads all the way to developing countries to secure underage talent and bet on their careers like one would bet on the stock market.

the investigation shows how the most powerful man in football, FIFA President Gianni Infantino, secretly obstructed and torpedoed the work of his own regulators...the then-secretary general of UEFA, thwarted his own organization's investigators in order to take the side of the clubs Manchester City (ManCity) and Paris Saint-Germain (PSG), both owned by emirates in the Gulf...as ManCity and PSG systematically violated FIFA's financial fair play rules for years

The reports of the coming weeks will also reveal the positive doping tests of a multiple Champions League winner as well as the tax avoidance models of some Premier League titans.

we will now pull back the curtain on the football industry. So when you head to the football stadium this weekend or watch a Bundesliga game on TV, maybe you'll do so with a different perspective.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All in tomorrow’s papers , new invitations only European Super League for starters

No big surprise there, it's been gently gearing up to it for years, ever since the knockout-based European Cup was gradually reinvented as the Champions League. Don't really see it as a problem just so long as there's the normal process of promotion and relegation. It's just adding an extra layer above the PL and its European equivalents. Something more to aim for.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
No big surprise there, it's been gently gearing up to it for years, ever since the knockout-based European Cup was gradually reinvented as the Champions League. Don't really see it as a problem just so long as there's the normal process of promotion and relegation. It's just adding an extra layer above the PL and its European equivalents. Something more to aim for.

If it were done the right way, for the right reasons, by the right people, then maybe I'd agree.
The point being made I think is that is exactly what is NOT happening.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If it were done the right way, for the right reasons, by the right people, then maybe I'd agree.
The point being made I think is that is exactly what is NOT happening.

Well, we've all been softened up for it over enough seasons now by UEFA. Short of a breakaway league formed by a seriously monied third party, hard to see who else was ever going to drive that process, which now seems pretty much irreversible.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here