Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mark McGhee

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good luck Mark, one of my favourite Albion managers.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
That will increase the gate at Borough with even more Brighton fans than they have already.
My Dad lives around the corner from the ground and goes to most games.
Decent club with good facilities at that level but they seem to refuse to invest any real money into the squad to get them back up to the conference.
Last time I went Dean Cox was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, not height wise obviously.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I got to have a few decent chats with him when I won the coke competition, and found him to be a thoroughly decent bloke.
My favourite one liner from him was when I stood on the pitch at Withdean pre-season:

"Don't stand on the pitch too long Aaron, or the groundsman will have your bollocks!"

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Bizarrely, despite him working in Scotland, I saw him twice on separate occasions in Hove.

Presuming he still lived down here, I thought that must have been one hell of a commute...
Not really when you can from Glasgow to Gatwick in an hour.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
He really threw himself into the live Albion Roar we did with him at what was really Bob Booker's book launch at Komedia in 2017.

A thoroughly decent bloke with a very sharp wit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reunited with Dean Cox
Boroughs old manager Gary Wilson scouted for the Scottish national team, so there is a link

Strange sort of job. Imagine scouting for Gareth Southgate - seeking out previously unknown Englishmen for international call up ???

I guess its more like hearing a rumour of a plastic 'Rod Stewart' style Jock playing midfield for Nuneaton Borough, and helping him get proof positive of the scottish grandma on Ancestry.com, then doing his Fifa paperwork for him.

What a ****ing cracking job. :cheery:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Regarding the original post, I loved McGhee, and got so irritated with criticism (on the other 'mailing list' board) I went through a long period of ending messages with an ironic 'McWhoHe(?) OUT!!!'

He had an earlier career cock up (when he left Leicester for Wolves, was it, with the latter job blowing up in his face, along with his 'Fergie Mark too' credentials and aspirations), and was a much chastened and humble man when he joined the Albion. A managerial coup at the time. Good loch to the man.

McWhoHe(?) OUT!!!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The same with Russell Slade. That was a miracle finale to a season, and he’s a lovely bloke.

Even Barry Lloyd is well in credit after the small/Byrne season...........too much?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He did follow it up wth the Tiltman/Farrington season which I believe ended up with relegation?

Indeed. Relegation in those stripey shorts.
If only mark gall had stayed fit....

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Bizarrely, despite him working in Scotland, I saw him twice on separate occasions in Hove.

Presuming he still lived down here, I thought that must have been one hell of a commute...

I saw him in Brighton recently, he was wearing a short sleeved shirt :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here