Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We have a great squad....

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
c07651235403534148dfeee9216e1b24.jpg

Given injuries, suspension and sickness it was probably only Montoya, Dunk and Ryan away from being full strength. That is if you agree with me that Solly & Ali J would have been totally interchangeable today (Sol does defend better in the PL).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

March is also injured, so that’s a moot point.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The depth of the squad is now excellent - what's so difficult is raising the squad to the next level!
Sod the squad - we've got reasonable cover in all areas now, plus youngsters coming through who may not ever become 1st. choice first teamers but wouldn't let us down in emergency.
What we need now is to improve the team - that is, to buy in two or three (unfortunately very expensive) players who are actually better than anyone we've currently got in the first team - even if that means one or two players who are current fans' favourites and first on the team sheet every week suddenly find themselves as back-up.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sod the squad - we've got reasonable cover in all areas now, plus youngsters coming through who may not ever become 1st. choice first teamers but wouldn't let us down in emergency.
What we need now is to improve the team - that is, to buy in two or three (unfortunately very expensive) players who are actually better than anyone we've currently got in the first team - even if that means one or two players who are current fans' favourites and first on the team sheet every week suddenly find themselves as back-up.

Like a Benteke or a Zaha you mean?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Correct - every purchase (more or less) should be an upgrade on what we have, simple.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I mostly enjoyed that, especially Bissousma, Knockaert, Bruno and Stephens performances. I must stop myself shouting “stop passing the fecking ball backwards” though :smile:

I thought Locadia had a good game too, we need to stop expecting him to be Murray though. He is not a great target man but he knocked the ball off well when it was to feet and if the players hadn’t reverted to looking backwards before forwards he made some great runs that were completely ignored. Frustrating for him but once again right place right time for the second.

Happy to give AJ more time, he looked good in patches but a little lightweight and weak on the ball on occasions though.

Burn and Duffy had decent games too as did Bernardo and Kayal.

Fully agree with all of that. Good summary.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
A side with £50m invested in Locadia, Ali J and Izzy needs to take stock. Jury's still out on all 3 for me.

I agree 100%. I know £50m doesn’t go far these days but personally I wouldn’t have bought any of them. All three players have their moments but none of them are 7/8 out of 10 players. We added to our depth but our first team, even when fit is only just above the bottom three, which as it goes is ok for me!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Correct - every purchase (more or less) should be an upgrade on what we have, simple.

Not always. Sometimes clubs have an outstanding goalie, full back or centre forward, with cover brought in later on. Someone willing to be a bench warmer for PL matches. Examples Llorente at Spuds never starts PL games when Kane is fit, Button and Steele signed after Ryan yet seem happy as under studies.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Pissed that Derby beat Saints in the last round and probably thought we’d need a full strength team against them to have a chance. Great footballer, dull and clueless pundit

I like Matt - He is real nice friendly chap but the reality is.

We won without even getting out of 2nd gear. You could say the Derby didn't play well but that was because in midfield we overpowered them. Bissouma especially so sorry Matt.

The team selection was the right team selection and because you really don't know what the Brighton players are capable of, that suggests you should be doing your homework before you go into work and collect your healthy salary without truly having enough technical knowledge to do your job well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not always. Sometimes clubs have an outstanding goalie, full back or centre forward, with cover brought in later on. Someone willing to be a bench warmer for PL matches. Examples Llorente at Spuds never starts PL games when Kane is fit, Button and Steele signed after Ryan yet seem happy as under studies.

That was then. Last summer we built up our squad without improving the first team (arguably). Now we have the squad in place, it is the first team we must improve; we don't need a better back-up for anybody - what we do need is a better player who will replace them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Locadia? Pretty good today? All down to opinions I guess. Someone teach him how the offside defensive line works....they move up, you move back and stay onside.
Murray has about 15 years experience on him and manages to do it just as often though.
Ah, maybe that's the problem. The man charged with teaching Locadia how the offside defensive line works was Murray.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ah, maybe that's the problem. The man charged with teaching Locadia how the offside defensive line works was Murray.

Who taught Alan Biley though, offside more than any Albion forward probably? :smile:

Jesting aside all forwards are often offside if they are any good aren’t they?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jesting aside all forwards are often offside if they are any good aren’t they?
Then Murray is the world's best forward.

I wonder if it's because of his lack of pace, that he needs to be right on the limit to make sure he's goal side when he gets the ball.

It's pretty frustrating for us, but I'm sure it's just as frustrating for him, and I assume he works on it a lot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here