Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] B & H Council

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Brighton needs a council that believes in Brighton Hove protecting our seafront heritage looking after our public gardens and cleaning our streets and our beaches.
Investing in our youngsters and looking after our ageing Community.
Become number one conference town again.
Improving sustainable transport.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
When I'm driving I always avoid the seafront whenever possible but when I'm cycling any improvements to this area safety wise are heartily welcomed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a surprise the merest hint of change and the Luddites start telling everybody 'it'll never work'.

Yet within a year of completion only the most severely disadvantaged will still be banging on for the 'good old days'.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I think everyone other than the Council believe this is a certainty

Given the councils propensity to give planning permission for thousands of new houses in the Area. I believe in ten years most roads will be gridlocked for much of the time. I drove from Brighton to Eastbourne yesterday about mid day and was in a queue of traffic all the way there and back. What it is like in rush hour times I can only imagine.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The West-East Madeira drive flow leading to hugely increased traffic emerging at Dukes Mound is the most worrying part of this ill thought-out scheme. If this goes as badly as many people think, the effect on business could be devastating.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1063171575070056449[/tweet]

[tweet]1092825016465608704[/tweet]

[tweet]1092418565058281473[/tweet]

Oh and by way of heading off the most boring cliche EVER.
Tell me the last time an inconsiderate cyclist jumping a red light looked like this:-

[tweet]1093519768072654849[/tweet]

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Solving the pedestrian solution around the Old Steine.
Bottom of North Street and A23/A270. Works well as long as pedestrians Don't cross on a red light.
Junction of A23 and St James. Works well as long as pedestrians Don't cross on a red light.
Crossing A23 in front of Harry Ramsdon. Works well as long as pedestrians Don't cross on a red light.
Solutions to the roundabout in front of the pier
Underpass Wont work as 'homeless' will take it over.
Bridge Wont work as people will still cross the road were they can.
Cross roads with traffic lights. What's the difference with traffic lights and the crossings with traffic lights we have now?
Take a look at the video of the taxi driver on my Valley Gardens thread. As he drives up to the St James St junction an old woman can be seen running across with seconds to spare.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What a surprise the merest hint of change and the Luddites start telling everybody 'it'll never work'.

Yet within a year of completion only the most severely disadvantaged will still be banging on for the 'good old days'.

So opposing negative changes makes you a luddite ? Great !

Here's an example of how stupid B&H council really are when it comes to changes - North Street. Let's widen the pavements to slow up the buses and thus produce more pollution.

It's a well documented fact that generally roundabouts allow better traffic flow than traffic lights - strange that the plan at the Shoreham Airport junction is to remove the lights in favour of a roundabout, can't think why. Yet B&H council in their wisdom think it's better to replace a perfectly working roundabout with traffic lights :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Here's an example of how stupid B&H council really are when it comes to changes - North Street. Let's widen the pavements to slow up the buses and thus produce more pollution.

It's a well documented fact that generally roundabouts allow better traffic flow than traffic lights - strange that the plan at the Shoreham Airport junction is to remove the lights in favour of a roundabout, can't think why. Yet B&H council in their wisdom think it's better to replace a perfectly working roundabout with traffic lights :facepalm:

Assuming change will be negative before it's even happened isnt exactly progressive thinking, is it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

I’m a cyclist too (not a fanatic like [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]), and oppose this scheme. I like the Valley Gardens idea, but not the loss of the roundabout. Inherently with red/amber lights all round, there is reduced flow throught time for all modes = greater congestion. Fact.

BHCC and their expensive consultants are not paragons of virtue, never making blunders.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not so sure the councillors are in favour of the next phase. Opposition on all sides- and local businesses.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Assuming change will be negative before it's even happened isnt exactly progressive thinking, is it?

You're on a wind up now ! Using your theory every suggested change should be made to see if it's a good change or not !

North Street changes have been a disaster .... I assume you think they'll be reversed now ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

You are sounding a lot like Chris Grayling, but hey whats the problem in awarding a ferry contract to a firm that has no ferries, what could possibly go wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're on a wind up now ! Using your theory every suggested change should be made to see if it's a good change or not !

North Street changes have been a disaster .... I assume you think they'll be reversed now ?

Not being from Brighton I'm not familiar with North Street.

I am familiar with the area basically from Ditchling Beacon to the King Alfred, for obvious reasons.

I don't believe this is a random idea which will have millions of pounds ploughed into it.
Given the choice of believing experts in urban planning or posters on here and taxi drivers I know who I'm going to go with.

The current situation isn't great and will only get worse.
A change to urban transportation is required, so embrace that change.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Not being from Brighton I'm not familiar with North Street.

I am familiar with the area basically from Ditchling Beacon to the King Alfred, for obvious reasons.

I don't believe this is a random idea which will have millions of pounds ploughed into it.
Given the choice of believing experts in urban planning or posters on here and taxi drivers I know who I'm going to go with.

Those urban planners don't have a great record in Brighton so I think I'll actually go with the opinion of those that use the roads here rather than the planners who don't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those urban planners don't have a great record in Brighton so I think I'll actually go with the opinion of those that use the roads here rather than the planners who don't.

Are ALL the people who use the roads, being listened too?

As said congestion isn't going to improve without change, it's only going to get worse, as it had been over the last x years.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Are ALL the people who use the roads, being listened too?

As said congestion isn't going to improve without change, it's only going to get worse, as it had been over the last x years.

Then it's simple, don't remove a roundabout that allows traffic to flow in favour of traffic lights that don't. Glad we agree :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Then it's simple, don't remove a roundabout that allows traffic to flow in favour of traffic lights that don't. Glad we agree :thumbsup:

I don't know about the phase 3 plans. Is it the seafront roundabout they are talking of ? That roundabout isn't ideal but it has always kept traffic moving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here