Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] F2 boiler error

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Will be split diaphragm in internal expansion tank if there’s no sign of a leak and you keep filling it regular.

Thank you. And I dread to ask - how much am I looking to replace the part - both for the part and labour ( obviously plus 20% ! ) ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not what you want to hear but when my Vaillant started flashing F2 it turned out that I had a water leak in the boiler and the whole thing needed replacing as it had rusted things inside....having replaced the pump and some electrical element to do with firing up to try and solve the problem before I got a decent plumber to check it and tell me what the real problem was.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thank you. And I dread to ask - how much am I looking to replace the part - both for the part and labour ( obviously plus 20% ! ) ?

Depends. You could pick up an expansion vessel for between £50- £100 probably cheaper on eBay. It’s not a big job for a qualified plumber.
One thing I would check thou first to make sure is on the expansion vessel there will be a Schrader valve ( like on a bicycle wheel)
If you take the cap of and gently press the inner part in this will let a bit of air out. If there is water within that, then it’s definitely the diaphragm gone.
If not, you can re inflate the vessel with a bicycle pump. Probably a YouTube video somewhere explains what to do.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Depends. You could pick up an expansion vessel for between £50- £100 probably cheaper on eBay. It’s not a big job for a qualified plumber.
One thing I would check thou first to make sure is on the expansion vessel there will be a Schrader valve ( like on a bicycle wheel)
If you take the cap of and gently press the inner part in this will let a bit of air out. If there is water within that, then it’s definitely the diaphragm gone.
If not, you can re inflate the vessel with a bicycle pump. Probably a YouTube video somewhere explains what to do.

But you've got to do it with CH at zero pressure with an open draincock - and EV's can be rescued with a re-pump up 50% of the time.
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] is your PRV dripping outside when pressure up/heating on ?

D

Deleted member 2719

Seperate issue I have to keep topping up the pressure on mine every other day, where the feck does all the water go??? evaporation, out the vent pipe?

Don't get it, is it likely to pack up even if I am topping up??

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Seperate issue I have to keep topping up the pressure on mine every other day, where the feck does all the water go??? evaporation, out the vent pipe?

Don't get it, is it likely to pack up even if I am topping up??

See posts above. The pressure is dropping because (maybe) faulty diaphragm in the expansion vessel the water isn’t going anywhere, it’s still within the system but the air pressure the other side of the diaphragm is dropping due to water leaking into it.

D

Deleted member 2719

See posts above. The pressure is dropping because (maybe) faulty diaphragm in the expansion vessel the water isn’t going anywhere, it’s still within the system but the air pressure the other side of the diaphragm is dropping due to water leaking into it.

Thanks, I think with have had a diaphragm go before, what do they make them out of nowadays rice paper!

How long can the radiator system continue to function with a dodgy diaphragm, a week, a month or indefinitely if I keep topping up???

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thanks, I think with have had a diaphragm go before, what do they make them out of nowadays rice paper!

How long can the radiator system continue to function with a dodgy diaphragm, a week, a month or indefinitely if I keep topping up???

You can keep topping it up in the meantime but would need sorting eventually.

D

Deleted member 2719

You can keep topping it up in the meantime but would need sorting eventually.

Thanks, mate but we noticed our boiler cover had lapsed and the new company won't cover any repairs for the first 28 days with have 21 days to go!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thanks, mate but we noticed our boiler cover had lapsed and the new company won't cover any repairs for the first 28 days with have 21 days to go!

See it out then. Just be a bit of a ball ache filling system every day.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here