Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Finances

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I came across this and was quite surprised to find out its "promotion or bust" for us this season according to the nigels up the road.

http://cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254275
Awwww.......Some of their concerns are quite touching.

I find it hard to believe a financially astute Tony Bloom would commit to the financial cost of building a stadium without researching the costs involved.

I remember, prior to opening the Amex, it was reported they budgeted for gates of 15,000. As gates have exceeded that, the extra revenue may have contributed to the provision of the academy, once again, the operational costs must have been assessed before the commitment to build.

Like the vast majority of supporters, I am not sure whats going on at the moment and will miss players like Buckley.

Keeping the faith !

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Awwww.......Some of their concerns are quite touching.

I find it hard to believe a financially astute Tony Bloom would commit to the financial cost of building a stadium without researching the costs involved.

I remember, prior to opening the Amex, it was reported they budgeted for gates of 15,000. As gates have exceeded that, the extra revenue may have contributed to the provision of the academy, once again, the operational costs must have been assessed before the commitment to build.

Like the vast majority of supporters, I am not sure whats going on at the moment and will miss players like Buckley.

Keeping the faith !
They might have budgeted for gates of 15k but i'm sure Bloom wasn't expecting such huge loses with our current attendances . That must be a major concern and with the highest prices along with Leeds.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I think their electricity bills add up to something ridiculous.....im sure someone will be able to let us know what that is..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think their electricity bills add up to something ridiculous.....im sure someone will be able to let us know what that is..

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the leccy bill and subsidising the transport over and above the levy are both heading towards seven figure sums.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
A very interesting question but one that no one here is likely to know the answer to. I remember that when Matthew Harding died it was found out that the money he had "given" was actually a loan which should have been repaid after his death. I believe that his estate didn't call in the debt but if they had it would have been very tough for Chelsea.

A good shareholders agreement will have this written into it.

Thanks for the answers guys, let's hope we don't find out anytime soon. My concern is as SAC says the estate could call upon the debt to be settled if they don't have the same love for the Albion as Tony has.

Tim could you please expand on your point? Would that shareholders agreement mean that a structured form of repayingvthe debt would have already been written in case of his death?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Thanks for the answers guys, let's hope we don't find out anytime soon. My concern is as SAC says the estate could call upon the debt to be settled if they don't have the same love for the Albion as Tony has.

Tim could you please expand on your point? Would that shareholders agreement mean that a structured form of repayingvthe debt would have already been written in case of his death?

Normally, although I must add that very few shareholders agreements are normal, there is a clause addressing debt and death. There would or should be a period within which the club could buy back shares / repay debt, however if there are death duties to pay etc there hand could be forced. There may also already be a agreement in place that deals with this, i.e. an underwritten agreement by another party (a bank) to handle the debt in the event of death over a longer period to create stability for the club. However, it may be that the debt isn't owned by TB but by a holding company and this creates another problem altogether, but with similar provisions I'd say.

All of this is pure conjecture as there may be any number of provisions in place or none whatsoever; although with that amount of money you are safe to consider it is covered!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Is it true that we pay 1 million a year rent on the Amex to a Tony Bloom holding company?

As far as I know, its paid to the Community Stadium company who actually operate the stadium and are part of the same company structure as the club anyway. Its not a million quid to Tony's back pocket / poker account anyway.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Normally, although I must add that very few shareholders agreements are normal, there is a clause addressing debt and death. There would or should be a period within which the club could buy back shares / repay debt, however if there are death duties to pay etc there hand could be forced. There may also already be a agreement in place that deals with this, i.e. an underwritten agreement by another party (a bank) to handle the debt in the event of death over a longer period to create stability for the club. However, it may be that the debt isn't owned by TB but by a holding company and this creates another problem altogether, but with similar provisions I'd say.

All of this is pure conjecture as there may be any number of provisions in place or none whatsoever; although with that amount of money you are safe to consider it is covered!

Thanks again for taking the time to explain, I guess we will just have to hope he leads a very long and healthy life, and hopefully has even more success with his business dealings.

As far as I know, its paid to the Community Stadium company who actually operate the stadium and are part of the same company structure as the club anyway. Its not a million quid to Tony's back pocket / poker account anyway.

That's about it except that TCS Ltd actually owns the stadium and the Lancing training ground. The football club itself (BHAFC Ltd) currently pays £1Mpa rent to TCS for the Amex and, I guess, the 2014/15 accounts will also show it paying rent for use of Lancing. Both TCS and BHAFC are wholly owned subsidiaries of BHA Holdings Ltd of which Tony Bloom is the majority (91% in 2012/13) shareholder.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Thanks again for taking the time to explain, I guess we will just have to hope he leads a very long and healthy life, and hopefully has even more success with his business dealings.

Is the right answer, the time we need to panic is when he runs out of cash and needs to conduct a fire sale! To be honest though for his investment, say £130m, he's got a Championship club with a large fan base and a shiny new training ground and stadium; most Russians, Arabs or Asian businessmen would snatch his arm off at £160m+

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Palace fans always seem to overlook the Bloom family's involvement with the Albion going back years, and the fact that he's not just some local business tycoon made good who fancied a go at playing chairman, but a lifelong supporter.

I'm not naïve enough to assume that would mean he could NEVER lose interest, particularly if it wound up that fans started having a continual go at him, but it's considerably less likely that he'd walk away than if we had some Qatari or Thai businessman in charge, or a Mike Ashley type with no local connections.

Is the right answer, the time we need to panic is when he runs out of cash and needs to conduct a fire sale! To be honest though for his investment, say £130m, he's got a Championship club with a large fan base and a shiny new training ground and stadium; most Russians, Arabs or Asian businessmen would snatch his arm off at £160m+

I think you'll find that another 50% on top of £130m might be nearer the total he's put into the football club and the stadium company. As of end June 2013 there was a total of £102m debt owed to TB by both companies; this excludes all the debt to equity conversions since his takeover, last year's losses and the cost of the Lancing training ground.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think you'll find that another 50% on top of £130m might be nearer the total he's put into the football club and the stadium company. As of end June 2013 there was a total of £102m debt owed to TB by both companies; this excludes all the debt to equity conversions since his takeover, last year's losses and the cost of the Lancing training ground.

I reckon it has to be over £200M too as the oft quoted £93M cost of the stadium doesn't take into consideration the cost of the expansion and upgrades from the original spec. Loans from TB made during the Withdean era must be a tidy sum as well.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Yes, you are probably right.

Mind you with the way people talk about TB and others you'd think they'd stolen the club from under their noses. There's not many Brighton supporters out there with £200m they'd be prepared to stump up. Although IF or WHEN he sells they'll be bemoaning the new owner!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here